Guilliman hits the big 400

Prot

With the big FAQ out, how do you guys feel about this?

Personally I don't really use him anymore, but I feel like at a competitive level of play he was everywhere but that's because the basic codex itself almost needs a tweak.

So while it doesn't affect me directly I would have loved to see counter discounts to some extremely unused, and lesser used units.

I'm right there with you.  Increasing Guilliman's cost only makes sense if there is a corresponding decrease to the :cusstier units in the army.  It's not like Guilliman was placing all that highly in major events to begin with...

Unnecessary, will nerf Ultras even more in an environment they are not competing in.

I think he can be obnoxious in friendly games (there's an argument to be made that because of his ease of use, he's a real powerhouse in games between inexperienced gamers) - but that can be resolved by a discussion between opponents. He's not really competitive, certainly not as good of a LoW as a Shadowsword which only costs 20 points more.

I think Marines are suffering, many of the units are useless or un-playable. This does nothing to resolve the situation.

Honestly, I will never shed a tear for a special character getting nerfed, and Robust had no place on a 40K tabletop to begin with.

You know, I actually get that. There is a real element of the community that doesn't like Special characters, but that's merely a preferential difference. There are those who want to see grand heroes and demi-God duel on a battlefield, and there are those who prefer a more grim-dark, meat grinder of a battle between unremarkable and disposable units.

Honestly, I will never shed a tear for a special character getting nerfed, and Robust had no place on a 40K tabletop to begin with.

You know, I actually get that. There is a real element of the community that doesn't like Special characters, but that's merely a preferential difference. There are those who want to see grand heroes and demi-God duel on a battlefield, and there are those who prefer a more grim-dark, meat grinder of a battle between unremarkable and disposable units.

And honestly, I don't think the latter understand how much they can spoil the game for the former.

"Okay, my HQ has 4 attacks, hits on 2+, is S5 and has a -2 AP. Oh, and because he's a Captain he can re-roll 1s to hit.."

"Nice. My HQ has 9 attacks that hit on 2+ at S4, plus 2 attacks that hit on 2+ at S3, plus an attack that hits at S6. Oh, and I get extra attacks if I roll any 6s to hit. And I cost 10 points more than your guy."

It's pretty weird, but I can see casual players being upset by the power of Guilliman lists since those are much more common than actual competitive lists. The only real competitive Guilliman list recently having been Bobby and the Jets, which is clearly gone now.

The preference, or ability to counter Guilliman is largely meta based and experience. It’s not really a question of if you like Guilliman or not, but moreso; does this make sense?

I would say no because his increase is an effort to exercise balance, but too much of the codex has fallen behind. Where is the balance in that?

I was always disappointed when GW lowered the hammer on assault cannons, Razorbacks, Stormravens, Hurricanes. That all came from a fishbowl scenario where 2-3 codexes were out.

Anyway here we are where arguably this FAQ focuses on competitive play and Codex Astartes ain’t what she used to be. I am hopeful that this is a preface to some rebalance in a larger sense to the codex.

I'm more worried about the um chapter tactics. Has to be on the battlefield, Not just alive. No reserve or transport shenanigins

I think all the CP battery relics and rules changed to reflect this, although there may be some that got missed.

I'm more worried about the um chapter tactics. Has to be on the battlefield, Not just alive. No reserve or transport shenanigins

I think all the CP battery relics and rules changed to reflect this, although there may be some that got missed.

Good good

I get the feeling there’s some dissatisfaction with our codex. At first Ultramarines were smoking hot but have simmered down. I wish GW had done more with Primaris but overall I still love to play Ultramarines and am having a good time.

• 3 weeks later...

I get the feeling there’s some dissatisfaction with our codex. At first Ultramarines were smoking hot but have simmered down. I wish GW had done more with Primaris but overall I still love to play Ultramarines and am having a good time.

DW to the rescue !!! <3

Archived