FAQ just hit....how is your SW army?

TiguriusX

So big rule changes

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

Check the FAQs for everyone!

In addition to the general FAQ many of the codex specific FAQs were also updated

For example warptime can't be used on a unit arriving from reserve anymore (that is huge nerf to chaos)

"Q: When I manifest the Warptime psychic power, can I select a unit that arrived on the battlefield as reinforcements this turn?

A: No."

Instead of hijacking HDL's thread I figure we probably need a new one.

Please note some of the rule changes are BETA and may not apply to you

The reserve changes are huge to me.  I may not need to dip into the vanilla scout pool anymore.

If my opponent can't drop his nasty combos on me until turn 2 I have some time to run and maneuver.

Cyberwolves were nerfed (3 only hurts how I used them) but they can still take point

Might be adding GH back in since battalion CP went up 

Yeah, nothing major for us one way or the other. Our only useful stratagem got nerfed (along with everyone else's reserves) but we gain more CPs for our Troops.

FNP-style saves no longer stack so I guess Bjorn will be getting our First Strike warlord trait from now on.

Troops in transports might make a bit of a comeback too. The metal bawkses shield them from fire if the enemy gets T1 and then they disembark to set up a screen again drop troops.

I really like Assassins in SW lists, so that's a problem there. Deep striking is a change for everyone but frankly hurts other armies more than it hurts us, as a wily opponent was going to deny us table edges to flank to on turn 1 anyways. Otherwise my Wolves are fine, the only units I'd really want to spam anyway are Cyberwolves and I can live without 4+ Cyberwolf units in my army.

The bonus CP is going to help, we really just need a codex now. Looking forward to it! (FLG's crew said in passing today that they thought we'd be real happy with our codex)

My dread pod is going to be sidelined in beta rule games. The backlash is early but pretty universality against it and they have to know that a lot of popular kits are not going to be selling. I’m not worried about it sticking.

One minor change I might make is removing the Callidus assassin from my army

I picked up the tip from Geoff N Control Robinson to try and counter stratagem heavy armies

The CP change for battalions and brigades just made it rain CPs

Not sure a Callidus has the same deterrent effect anymore

One minor change I might make is removing the Callidus assassin from my army

I picked up the tip from Geoff N Control Robinson to try and counter stratagem heavy armies

The CP change for battalions and brigades just made it rain CPs

Not sure a Callidus has the same deterrent effect anymore

Yeah, the Callidus will be a really interesting one to watch for. It was really good in a world with fewer command points, but might get outshined by the other assassins in the new command meta.

Frankly this FAQ only affects those who jumped on the spam wagon for ANY unit of choice, particularly for competitive play or organised matches. 

For me, the only thing that comes out more than 3 times are my Grey Hunters, Blood Claws and Razorbacks. So this FAQ hit me and I'm just peachy. :P

I kinda pity some of the assault lists who bank on a massive 1st turn charge like the Tyranid tunnelling Trygon Plus flyrant build, or the mass Blood Angel death company/sanguinary guard deepstrike strategy and now cannot arrive from reserves in anywhere apart from your deployment zone on Turn 1. Then again, they still have ways to get the 1st turn charge, such as the Death Guard scout move and 3D6 charge or the Swarmlord's double movement order (or is it advance and charge? can't recall). But this gives a lot of gunline armies more freedom and less pressure to prepare for massive alpha strike charge.

No balancing for massive gunlines though, the Rule of Three seems to only apply for competitions.

Overall, I personally find it good that GW seems to be encouraging mixed armies, from the limit of datasheets, to the increased Battalion and Brigade CP. Maybe this time I'll have enough CP to last to Turn 4.

For those who only play to win, smash and drink the enemy's tears, ....... I think you can all see my smirk all the way from South East Asia.

The FAQ hasn't really impacted my SW lists.

The 0-3 (see below) and the reserve rules I don't like. The reserve rules make gun-lines much stronger.

Also don't like that you cannot assault a unit on a piece of terrain if they're able to cover the entire floor and leave no room for attackers. 

Frankly this FAQ only affects those who jumped on the spam wagon for ANY unit of choice, particularly for competitive play or organised matches. 

Although the data-sheet limitation was intended to reduce spam, which it does, there are other consequences that impact many players. As a matured codex we have a lot of options. But what about the Harlequins player? Or the Deathwing player? That Dark eldar player that just got back into the game and has large collection of Kabals. In order to field two battalions at 2k points they have to take a special character or be unable due to their lack of archons. Same with a pure Coven or Cult player. There are unintended consequences and I hope they are able to modify these rules into something more sustainable. I don't think restrictions on units is the best way to encourage variety. Internal codex balance is my preferred method. Oh yeah... Tau drones are all on the same data sheet...

The FAQ hasn't really impacted my SW lists.

The 0-3 (see below) and the reserve rules I don't like. The reserve rules make gun-lines much stronger.

Also don't like that you cannot assault a unit on a piece of terrain if they're able to cover the entire floor and leave no room for attackers. 

Although the data-sheet limitation was intended to reduce spam, which it does, there are other consequences that impact many players. As a matured codex we have a lot of options. But what about the Harlequins player? Or the Deathwing player? That Dark eldar player that just got back into the game and has large collection of Kabals. In order to field two battalions at 2k points they have to take a special character or be unable due to their lack of archons. Same with a pure Coven or Cult player. There are unintended consequences and I hope they are able to modify these rules into something more sustainable. I don't think restrictions on units is the best way to encourage variety. Internal codex balance is my preferred method. Oh yeah... Tau drones are all on the same data sheet...

OK you have a fair point. Didn't mean to jump on those armies you mentioned have very limited choices therefore have no choice by to spam in detachments, what is often their only Heavy support or FA or Elite slot. I think you mean Deathwatch instead of Deathwing though.

Or alternatively, the army is so limited that it almost NEEDS an ally.

Still like the rules in general. Should at least limit the Banana Captains lists I see flying around waving their golden wanks.

The bonus CP is going to help, we really just need a codex now. Looking forward to it! (FLG's crew said in passing today that they thought we'd be real happy with our codex)

Here is FLG's track record on such predictions. :tongue.:

http://i.imgur.com/dHoshAJ.jpg

I think it would take some serious work to screw up our codex

I'm actually pretty happy with the index units (wolf scouts and lone wolves suck and are unplayable yes I know)  

There is room for improvement but I have found stuff to be playable

So long as they don't do anything dramatic I think we will be ok

Add in the common stratagems (shoot twice or fight twice) and some other relics and I think we will be happy

Here is FLG's track record on such predictions. :tongue.:

Umm excuse me, both my canadian girlfriend and my uncle who both work for GW told me we'd be happy too. You probably havent met them though.

That is fair enough, I am certainly hoping for something both fluffy and powerful (without being broken). However the fact remains that FLG have not proved any more reliable than any other rumour mongers (despite their inside scoop) and they have a habit of saying to fans of each faction "we think you'll be really pleased" for every single release. I think it is simply their stock reply.

That is fair enough, I am certainly hoping for something both fluffy and powerful (without being broken). However the fact remains that FLG have not proved any more reliable than any other rumour mongers (despite their inside scoop) and they have a habit of saying to fans of each faction "we think you'll be really pleased" for every single release. I think it is simply their stock reply.

My post was 100% a joke sorry. I agree with you. :D

@ Kasper, I did mean Deathwing cuz I just read a comment of a pure Deathwing player griping about the FAQ too haha. But Deathwatch are on that list too. I do agree about the Banana Captain and other sources of spam need to be handled in some way.

I do have hope they'll modify the FAQ down the road. They have been taking feedback so if enough people give constructive feedback with reasoning and not emotion then maybe they'll be more inclined to come up with a better solution.

I am just spit-balling here but maybe only give access to a (faction) Supreme Command detachment if you already have a detachment of that same (faction). That would reduce Banana captains quite a bit. I'd even go a step further and say that (detachment) must be a battalion or brigade in order to warrant the increase in HQ's on the battlefield.

My apologies, went off topic a bit there. I think we will know how this FAQ impacts SW once we get our codex. We are still in limbo until we get it. PreFAQ... It is crazy how much better a faction like Dark Eldar got by point reductions, Stratagems, their Obsessions, Warlord traits, and relics. We have a much better core from the index than they did. I hope we get at least a quarter of the flavor DE got.

It's just a quick aside, not an actual rumor. Reece and Jason are undoubtedly NDAed so they can't talk at any length about the codexes they've seen until the embargo date shortly before release.

Still, I'm pretty confident in our position here. We've got a late codex which is always pretty good for balance purposes. The only thing I'm really concerned about is Wolf Scouts being straight garbage, but unless they ditch the Wolf Scout flanking rule that isn't something the codex can fix.

I'm hopeful the elite status of wolf scouts convinces GW to give them a special rule. Something like a short deep strike range

Think callidus (3+d6 inches) or heck even a mawloc (1 inch)

The OBEL is no longer special...

I'm hopeful the elite status of wolf scouts convinces GW to give them a special rule. Something like a short deep strike range

Think callidus (3+d6 inches) or heck even a mawloc (1 inch)

The OBEL is no longer special...

All I really want them to do is have at least the option to deploy with Concealed Positions like normal Scouts do. That rule is amazing at getting board control and winning the deep strike war that is such an important part of 8th edition (and I think will still be so even with beta rules). If they had that rule and their superior wargear options, they'd be a real solid unit for us. Instead, we basically just get bad Plasma Scions and that's not terribly useful. I'll just flank some Hellblasters instead.

Yet another hit to trying to run Blackmanes this edition. It's pretty frustrating.

Was anyone actually doing this though? That pod tax was already steep.

Yes.. Some like to design their lists with and element of fluff. My Space Wolves are Blackmanes Great Company, Ragnar is the Lord of Drop Pod strikes... 

@ Kasper, I did mean Deathwing cuz I just read a comment of a pure Deathwing player griping about the FAQ too haha. But Deathwatch are on that list too. I do agree about the Banana Captain and other sources of spam need to be handled in some way.

I do have hope they'll modify the FAQ down the road. They have been taking feedback so if enough people give constructive feedback with reasoning and not emotion then maybe they'll be more inclined to come up with a better solution.

I am just spit-balling here but maybe only give access to a (faction) Supreme Command detachment if you already have a detachment of that same (faction). That would reduce Banana captains quite a bit. I'd even go a step further and say that (detachment) must be a battalion or brigade in order to warrant the increase in HQ's on the battlefield.

My apologies, went off topic a bit there. I think we will know how this FAQ impacts SW once we get our codex. We are still in limbo until we get it. PreFAQ... It is crazy how much better a faction like Dark Eldar got by point reductions, Stratagems, their Obsessions, Warlord traits, and relics. We have a much better core from the index than they did. I hope we get at least a quarter of the flavor DE got.

We can only hope for just a quarter of what the Dark Eldar codex was, BOLD and DIFFERENT and STILL STRONG. Satisfying to Fluff and Crunch together, from the fluff bunnies like myself, to the super competitive guys. Hard to do, but in 8th edition codexes, I think most of them were quite good in terms of fluff and crunch.

the exceptions to being strong in gaming terms now I think being, ironically, the Space Marine Codex and Grey Knights, but in a sense, that is due to being one of the first codexes and therefore have suffered a great deal from the power creep over the year.

Archived