bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part one of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg The Sanguinor
sml_gallery_62972_11847_217410.png
The Sanguinor, Emissary

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use The Sanguinor?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the Chapter Approved changes affect your list(s)?
  • Are you taking his Warlord Trait?
  • How are you making use of Miraculous Savior and Avenging Angel?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it babysit anything?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?

Over to you.

Edited by Jolemai

He is a “bonus” HQ in the sense that he is never a “must take” when there are Capts, LTs, Librarians, and Sanguinary Priests that provide more utility overall...

...but I find that if you build around him, the Sanguinor has incredible potential.

For starters, +1A to unit’s in 6”. For an army that has +1 To Wound in combat, what’s not to love? The obvious use is pairing him with Sanguinary Guard and Death Company or other beatstick units, but he can make “lesser” units like CQC Scouts good too, catching opponents off guard. Good pairing is Intercessors with power sword Sgts...4A with AP-3 and +1 To Wound is enough to scare off a unit or two.

Secondly, he’s a decent beatstick. 5A, effectively S8 in combat, and removing armor saves from all but 2+ saves. If he had a native way to get re-rolls (like BT’s Emperor’s Champion) he would be a top class duelist, but he’s not shabby on his own.

Third is his mobility. Having jump-wings-thingies mean he can keep up with other units and his ability to charge after falling back gives you options you normally wouldn’t. Try slingshotting him deeper into enemy territory sometime.

Last but not least, making him WL gives you a 6” Fearless bubble on top of that +1A. Again, where it comes in surprisingly handy is with “basic” units like CQC Scouts.

Personally, I like to make him WL and then pair him with Sanguinary Guard. This really gets some mileage out of his abilities as it not only makes the SG 3A each, but also makes them immune to Morale and gives them the re-rolls To Hit from their own special rule.

Alternatively, though I have not run it yet myself, I can see him working with DC to make them even killier and Fearless as well.

The question, really, is if you bring him, would you also bring Captain Smash?

Captain Smash without a WL Trait loses some of his punch although arguably this is only a problem with fighting units with more than 3 wounds. Maybe run the Sanguinor as your primary beatstick and keep Captain Smash-lite with your lines so he can buff shooting and deter enemy from getting too close. If you decide from t2 onwards that you need to kill a backfield threat, you can use UWOF to move the Captain into his traditional assault role.

Captain Smash without a WL Trait loses some of his punch although arguably this is only a problem with fighting units with more than 3 wounds. Maybe run the Sanguinor as your primary beatstick and keep Captain Smash-lite with your lines so he can buff shooting and deter enemy from getting too close. If you decide from t2 onwards that you need to kill a backfield threat, you can use UWOF to move the Captain into his traditional assault role.

My go-to list uses both dudes in just that way: Sanguinor has WL w/ Sang Guard while Captain Smash-Lite buffs Devastators/Predators and then WoF up to the front lines as needed. The +1 Damage to Captain Smash typically is not a game changer for me. I would almost consider the Artisan of War as much of a bonus ability as the Sanguinor's +1A: great and can turn the tide, but you won't miss it as much as you think (Captain Smash-Lite still gets 5A, hitting on 2's (-1), D:3 each...that's still not shabby at all).

As mentioned a few times already the Sanguinor as WL with Sanguinary Guard are pretty decent - so no need for me to add further I think! He has his niche I think even with the likes of Cpt. Smash, Lieutenants and Librarians etc... around, a beatstick character buffing a beatstick unit will always have a place. I find the a collection of gold units with their white wings to look pretty spectacular on the table, they are great models worthy of making the centrepiece of your army :tu:

I've found him particularly effective with Dante and a bunch of SG. An expensive group to run together but he gives Dante an extra valuable attack, Dante lets the Sanguinor reroll all hits and they both provide those to the SG. Having the group together also tends to draw opponents in like moths to a flame, leaving 'lesser' units free to do their thing on the rest of the table.

I had both much success and great disappointment with the sanguinor.

His buff is awesome paired with assault units and his warlord trait goes well with a 1st turn DC charge that clears the way (to prevent morale) paired with 2nd turn sanguinary guard hammer that gets full reroll on top of +1 attack.

To put some numbers, +1 attack and reroll means that each guard gets TWICE as much hits.

He’s also great with CC units like scouts, not many people expect 16 attacks from them.

I haven’t got much success outside of that assault heavy army, but honestly that’s also what blood angels do best.

He hits hard but also dies quite easily. Captains does a much better job as standalone characters.

Also he is not worth it at lower point value, he needs to buff a lot of units to be great.

He is a great niche HQ to build around, he pairs very nicely with sanguinary guard and I think it is fun to see something both fluffy and powerful in an army.

• 3 months later...

I've found him particularly effective with Dante and a bunch of SG. An expensive group to run together but he gives Dante an extra valuable attack, Dante lets the Sanguinor reroll all hits and they both provide those to the SG. Having the group together also tends to draw opponents in like moths to a flame, leaving 'lesser' units free to do their thing on the rest of the table.

Bit of threadomancy going on here, but worth mentioning that he would synergise better with a jump captain than with Dante. For the cost of Dante, you can bring Slamguinius and a jump pack Lieutenant. The bonus attack is arguably more valuable on Capt. Smash than on Dante; Dante’s reroll aura isn’t wasted on Sang Guard by combining with the Warlord rerolls; Sanguinor rerolls all his misses regardless thanks to the Cpt. aura; and the Lieutenant provides reroll wounds on everything, which you don’t have anything similar to if you bring Dante.

:)

• 6 months later...

I'm after some more advice on how to run him as, for me, I need him to do more than he is.

• What's an ideal target for him?
  • Should I bother with targets of opportunity (i.e a Flyer on it's own) or stick to running him with his entourage (see below) and leave those targets to something else (preferably with Angel's Wing)?
  • In my previous two games he's ran with six SG, SGA, jump Priest, and jump Librarian - basically in lieu of s Smash Captain. Obviously I need to use him different to the unit he's replaced, but should I be more patent, or aggressive? If I go down this route?
  • Oh, and the lack of re-rolls To Hit is really irritating as I'm guaranteed to roll at least two 1s each time...

Honestly for the most part he's just a Jump Pack Captain with a Relic Blade that can charge and fall back. Sure he has +1A, Sv2+ and AP-4 instead of AP-3 and trades one neat aura for another .... but for the most part he'd act the same way as a Relic Blade Captain.

Honestly for the most part he's just a Jump Pack Captain with a Relic Blade that can charge and fall back. Sure he has +1A, Sv2+ and AP-4 instead of AP-3 and trades one neat aura for another .... but for the most part he'd act the same way as a Relic Blade Captain.

Well his +1 attack aura is what I'm taking him for. Increasing SGs attack by 50% is huge!

I don't think I've made a serious list in 8th without taking him. He is one of my favorite models and a staple for me currently.

His utility is superb and he compliments almost every unit we own!

Still feel this way. And he's cheaper to boot.

He still still a great work horse for us and combined with a Chaplain for re-rolls to hit in close combat make an ideal 1, 2, punch.

I've used him in my last couple games. The extra attack is so important for SG in my opinion and tactical marines or scouts with extra attacks are no joke either. I try to keep him away from heavy targets unless I feel victory is already close at hand. He wrecked Canis Wolfborn man last game, but got demolished by a wolf lord with hammer the game before.

Running him alongside DC with lemartes is great as well for me at least. Having DC auto pass morale is so important for me and sending them up to 5 attacks is great too.

• 3 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:07 AM, Jolemai said:

bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part one of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg The Sanguinor
sml_gallery_62972_11847_217410.png
The Sanguinor, Emissary

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use The Sanguinor?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the Chapter Approved changes affect your list(s)?
  • Are you taking his Warlord Trait?
  • How are you making use of Miraculous Savior and Avenging Angel?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it babysit anything?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?

Over to you.

Thread updated to include post-Nephilim games.

Has this chap snuck back into your lists? Would you consider skipping Miraculous Savior to make use of the Death From Above secondary?