Chapter Master Gabriel Angelos to Wolf Lord Conversion

sbarnby71

3 is what I went for, for Bjorn Stormwolf. The Brian Blessed head. Similar pose too. So I obviously say 3 too.

2 doesn’t have the uniqueness the rest of the model does. You’ve gone to lengths to make him unique. If you want to go have a really unique head you could green stuff a beard. How are you with green stuff beards?

He’s coming along really well. Great attention to detail.

Definitely 3.

1 would take away from the Conversion and would look like Gabriel cosplaying (...or wearing a "borrowed" Space Wolves Armor)

2 is okay, could fit without the mohawk or a shorter one.

BUT 3 is Perfect. A burly, hairy veteran.

Thanks for the input folks,  I was watching the Thor movies again last night and I think I'm going option 3... with some adjustments:

• Remove the braid in his beard.
  • Maybe even trim the beard down a little - I want slightly regal, not all out savage. 
  • An eye-patch over the right eye. 

It even made me think of re-doing the hammer-head like the artefact the Frost Giants used, but I'm not sure my painting skills are that good, but I might make a new hammer-head and give it a try, if not use the existing one.

3 is what I went for, for Bjorn Stormwolf. The Brian Blessed head. Similar pose too. So I obviously say 3 too.

2 doesn’t have the uniqueness the rest of the model does. You’ve gone to lengths to make him unique. If you want to go have a really unique head you could green stuff a beard. How are you with green stuff beards?

He’s coming along really well. Great attention to detail.

I've really not done much beard modelling, do need a LOT more practice (I can sculpt fur like there is no tomorrow - but hell that's easy).  I'd like to be able to paint the stubble beards, but I can't seem to get that right.

Glad you like the progress. :-)

Edited by sbarnby71

Did some adjustments to head number 3 - as you can see it does not fit properly:

Step 40

Remove the beard plait and trimmed the neck collar and some of the beard to get a tighter fit:

Step 41

and attempted to do an eye patch - annoyingly it looks better is real life than in the picture, hopefully it will look better painted up:

Step 42

I'll tidy up the beard once the model is a bit more finished.

Got a bit side-tracked cause these finally went on sale on the Raging Heroes site so I had to get them as Sisters of Battle to accompany my Wolves:

Thoughest

I think the squad leader will be gifted a frost weapon.

Edited by sbarnby71

• 7 months later...

Last week I started work on this guy again after a long, long break (don't know why I do this, must be half magpie).

I had an idea for the hammer head to be a smouldering lump of metal, so tried out some light dry brushing of Troll Slayer Orange over a black base, then toned down with Agrax Earthshade, but I'm not sure if it just looks rusty?

Step 37

Step 38

Next step would be some highlights in yellow.  Other option is to just re-do it in the same burnished brass I use for the armour trim, but I want it to stand out a bit more.

And a bit of a teaser of the almost finished piece - I had to trim the cape down and rebuild part of it as I adjusted the arms a little:

Step 39

I'm going to finish him this week!

Thanks for looking.

Edited by sbarnby71

Re: the hammer (inc nerd alert) you would want to reverse your colors to pull of the smoldering metal look. Heated metal cools from the outside in so likely that dull orange/yellow with a dry brush of skavenblight/black.

I do some blacksmithing as my other hobby and I tried to do the same effect with my power weapons but in in blue. It’s a cool look and a bit different than most people so it. Give it a go!

Re: the hammer (inc nerd alert) you would want to reverse your colors to pull of the smoldering metal look. Heated metal cools from the outside in so likely that dull orange/yellow with a dry brush of skavenblight/black.

I do some blacksmithing as my other hobby and I tried to do the same effect with my power weapons but in in blue. It’s a cool look and a bit different than most people so it. Give it a go!

Yup that makes total sense, will give that a go tonight.

If you haven't settled on a head yet... The bearded one from the Chaos Marauder set has the beard flowing in a direction that would suit the flow of the pose. Also, if you're looking for one with an eyepatch that looks reasonable Odin-ey, I've used the one from the old Empire General kit to good effect.

If you haven't settled on a head yet... The bearded one from the Chaos Marauder set has the beard flowing in a direction that would suit the flow of the pose. Also, if you're looking for one with an eyepatch that looks reasonable Odin-ey, I've used the one from the old Empire General kit to good effect.

I think I'm going to go for the head from the TWC set.  I've just stick it in with blue-tac, so if I do change my mind in the future (why I do a lot!) then I can switch it out.  I do like the old Horseman Marauder heads, so annoying you have to spend £30 to get a few decent heads.

looking good

that bootleg etsy gabriel drove our art director nuts at the time.

I wish I'd bought 2 of them at the time, it's such a great pose.

Ok, so I did try this and it does work!  But It didn't look right for this model (but I am totally going to steal the idea for my frost axes).  So stripped it back and then really didn't like the gems I'd added to the hammerhead, so I added Long Fang Skulls to carry on the theme from his chest plate:

Step 41

Step 42

I then added a little green stuff to fill out the back of the skull so looks more like a real skull not just a flat piece.
(ok now I look at the back fill I've done it looks rubbish, but I'm sure a bit of tidying up and once it's painted it will look better).

Once the hammer head is done, he should be finished, the base is done, decals applied so close now.
Edited by sbarnby71

Decided to add a bit more bling, so used 2 token thingeys you get with the Wulfen and added them to his elbows. 

Then I remember that right at the start I was going to add some furs under the shoulder pads, so a bit of fiddly work getting the pelts to bend to shape and not mess up my paint work:

Step 43

Step 44

And now for the finished piece:

Step 45

Step 47

Step 48

The picture of the right side didn't come well, so will have to do that again.

Will get some better pics done with my SLR later in the week without all my clutter in the background.

I had a lot of fun working on this model, such a great dynamic pose.

Hope you like and thanks for looking.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...