How do you face Dark Reapers in Ruins?

Gentlemanloser

Taking the new rules and FAQs into account.

You face a Squad of Dark Reapers on the top floor of a ruin.  They take up all the groundspace, so are totally immune to Assault.

For added fun, they have both the crazy cat lady (Ynarri Reapers obviously...) and a Farseer with them.  For the moment, lets ignore any Ranger screens.

How do you deal with them?

-1 to hit and 5++ are both psychic powers, deny if possible

If aloitoc, -1 to hit goes away within 12 inches.

Either way, both can be mitigated by Ap weaponry. Any heavy weapon will do. They only have 1 wound, so I would think plasma. Put a chapter master nearby so you can re-roll hits.

Although I did say to ignore them, you can't get within 12" due to screens.  IIRC there's some Eldar shenanigans with casting range so they can potentially outrange your denies.

Also the Farseer lets them shoot at any unit that DS's in.  That coupled with the changes to first turn DS makes dropping plasma within 12" a non event.

I guess the answer (like it seems to be to everything) is Hellblasters.

Sucks if GW decided your Marine chapter doesn't need them I guess...

Mortal wounds. I suppose there's always sniper rifles (you only have to make one hole for them to lose their "assault immunity") but the main thing from a C:SM/DA/BA perspective would be a heavy bolter Devastator using the Sergeant's signum for 2+ to hit, using the Hellfire Shells Stratagem, and then using the Armorium Cherub to do it all again.

Mortal wounds. I suppose there's always sniper rifles (you only have to make one hole for them to lose their "assault immunity") but the main thing from a C:SM/DA/BA perspective would be a heavy bolter Devastator using the Sergeant's signum for 2+ to hit, using the Hellfire Shells Stratagem, and then using the Armorium Cherub to do it all again.

Damn.... i like it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If they get a crazy set-up with screening allowed then my retort is similar then, I will propose a return.

10 man Sternguard Delivered to under 15" range for rapid fire of special issue boltguns with a chapter master and lieutenant with a Rhino Primaris running from cover to cover.

Give +1 to the sternguard from rhino to hit and then kick in the MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE combo with sternguard: Imperial Fists trait to ignore cover, Bolter Drill for more shots, Masterful Marksmenship because you are T3 enjoy getting wounded on 2s with re-rolls and to cap it off, Storm of Fire for extra AP because I felt like throwing it in (because I wasn't sure what you meant by 5+++ so i assume a 5+++ meant FNP).

The resulting fusillade of boltfire will on average kill the entire reaper squad in one round, no pass go, do not collect your soul burst you game breaking faction of worthless game design. Delivery will be by a Land Raider Crusader and if they can kill both the Rhino and the Land Raider then something is clearly rigged.

Ofcourse if firing at over 15" then the maths gets halfed hardcore down to 5 reapers getting offed before they get to make a move. From there you can attempt to dump whatever else you have at them, like the hellfire double shot trick to help push more damage down the line, tempted to try fitting in just random devastator squads with one or two heavy bolters in them to try and land that, maybe also for flakk stratagem too! (unrelated to the reapers regarding the flak but I forgot about that ruling!)

Edit:

Another possible thought in regards to the hellfire idea, possibly a combo of Hellfire + Bolter drill with Signum and rhino primaris with supporting captain (chapter master if you want). Those shots will all connect on 2+ despite the -1 from alaitoc (if alaitoc) but if not then you can slam several shots home since the FAQ on how the cherub works with the Hellfire Stratagem, it isn't far fetched to throw in that bolter drill also works on it. So with those two buffs, you have +2 meaning you have a 50% chance to trigger hellfire with each shot with extremely high chance of 3 shots occuring (resulting in 3D3 mortal wounds which is about 4 dead reapers if the FNP kicks in on odds). From there you could throw in a full salvo of heavy boltgun fire from the same devastator squad with the same buffs which could get some extra icing on the cake.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived