Introduction, A year in 40k & ETL

Brother Abbot

Greetings, fellowship of The Lion.

To celebrate a year back into the hobby, and with a ETL as an excuse (more on that later), I thought that actively participating in B&C would be a good way to involve myself and keep track of my progress.    

So here comes my introduction and my relationship with 40k and the Dark Angels:

Some twenty years ago I was into Warhammer and Fantasy. I basically collected, and did some paining, but just unorganized mingling. I had the starter box for 2nd edition 40k, a couple of additional Ork models, the fantasy starter box that had lizarmen and Bretons and some nice beastmen. But nothing really painted.

Sometime in my mid-teens I somehow decided to quit Warhammer and put everything in a box.

Fast-forward: One year ago, I was unemployed and with lots of time to fill in. I went with a friend to a hobby store because he needed to buy some paints. There I saw for the first time in 20 years what had happened in the Warhammer world.

I bought a Kill Team box and somehow made the uninformed decision to make Dark Angels my main thing. Stripped 2nd edition marines from the lousy paint they had and started painting them, while reading and listening the HH novels.

In all this time, I just played a single game of 8th but one year from that point this is my painted collection (please excuse me for the quality of the images):

A year in 40k -  08apr18

Greenwing  08apr18

Deathwing  08apr18

Ravenwing 08apr18

As you can see I have painted some Xenos filth and (lately) some traitor scum.

I read about ETL and thought it was a great excuse to participate in the forum and complete some unpainted. I have all Dark Imperium + 5 extra hellblasters, a Stormraven (half built) and the Fortress of redemption ready to be painted.

My plan is to secure the pledge of 10 hellblasters, and from there try to Finish the Stormraven and the Fortress of Redemption (if it is allowed for the ETL…).

My next steps include, cof cof, finishing painting all my unpainted miniatures (the Dark Imperium boxed I mentioned before, a Maulerfiend and a Chaos Crab whose name I cannot recall, and start playing some games.

I hope the post wasn’t too boring.

Not boring at all, quite interesting actually!

Welcome to the B&C, the Dark Angels forum and the ETL (when it finally starts)!

There are a lot of stuff there I can see. But some are already half-painted. The general rule of the ETL is that minis should be undercoated at most, i.e. anything from a sealed box to ndercoated stage (any colour) is acceptable but miniatures worked above that level can only be entered as out-of-competition vows.

Please feel free to ask any questions and once again: welcome to the Rock!

You would be surprised how common your story is. It seems many people find the game in their early teens. Slip away late teens and twenty’s and find the game again in there thirties.

Party cost. To begin with your spending your patents money. Later in your thirty’s you have money yourself.

And partly due to other ***cough*** distractions in your late teens and twenty’s.

Welcome home brother.

You would be surprised how common your story is. It seems many people find the game in their early teens. Slip away late teens and twenty’s and find the game again in there thirties.

Party cost. To begin with your spending your patents money. Later in your thirty’s you have money yourself.

And partly due to other ***cough*** distractions in your late teens and twenty’s.

Welcome home brother.

It really is common ... I stopped playing in 2002 and 15 years later I rediscovered some of my 2nd and 3rd edition Dark Angels at my parents place. Fast forward 1 year and I'm sitting at almost 10.000 points with lots of stuff still to paint.

Since the beginning of the year I try to play 1 game a week if possible and I'm having a blast testing out all kinds of units :wink:

Welcome to the rock Brother Abbot

Strangely familiar tale to mine. And now after 5 years I have 14000 points of dark angels, 3500 of “raven guard”. 2500 guard, 1500 genestealer cults and 2700 of tyranids. All painted.

I do NOT have a problem!!

Not boring at all, quite interesting actually!

Welcome to the B&C, the Dark Angels forum and the ETL (when it finally starts)!

There are a lot of stuff there I can see. But some are already half-painted. The general rule of the ETL is that minis should be undercoated at most, i.e. anything from a sealed box to ndercoated stage (any colour) is acceptable but miniatures worked above that level can only be entered as out-of-competition vows.

Please feel free to ask any questions and once again: welcome to the Rock!

All the minis in the pics I counted as painted :unsure.: . Might be the terrible pictures, probably my terrible painting jobs!!! 

For ETL I have the minis just built, put not even primed. I'll be fully compliant. 

The only doubt I have is whether or not the Fortress of Redemption is eligible as a Dark Angels unit for ETL.

Thank you very much for the feedback!

Hahaha, that was me trying to be polite in case you were actually planning on pledging some of the above... it turns out I was borderline insulting! Sorry mate, the painting looks fantastic!

And yes the Fortress is a legitimate entry... :)

Archived