My Waaagh

tvih

I've had Orks basically as long as I've been into the hobby, having bought AoBR back in 2012 as my first purchase along with a few other (marine) things. Only ever played in two games with them in 2013, small games, unpainted models. Love the army style but I am extremely slow at painting, while also very critical about the end results. As is I have roughly about 3200 points worth of orks, and until now I had exactly two models fully painted, a nob early 2013 and a boy from late 2016. While my roster isn't a huge tide it's still well over 100 infantry and various other things, a daunting task that has kept me from even starting it when even less daunting projects have been sitting idle.

Here are said figs, likely due a repaint for the skin and some other areas soon:
http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ork-nob-pklaw-ready1.jpg
http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ork-boy1.jpg
(Damn mold-line...)

After playing against orks on Saturday I finally got around to painting something to start with. This dakkajet was mostly primed back in 2013 but never made it past that. Well, here it is now, 99% ready to unleash dakka on dem 'umies and such.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ork-dakkajet1.jpg

It came out quite OK, but took far too many hours to finish. I'll probably snag a better photo once the pilot is fully finished (lacking a few paints) and I find the darn windshield that mysteriously vanished as things tend to do around here. Through superior ork kunnin', it can be converted into a Blitza-Bommer as well, though I haven't yet painted the bombs and grot turret. I have a second flyer kit which I plan on making into a Burna-Bommer with missiles and everything.

I'm not sure if I'll have a unified color scheme going forward, or just whatever I feel like on a per-model basis. Well, for the infantry it's the latter, the vehicles I'm unsure about. Other than the flyers I have a deffrolla battlewagon, two trukks, a deff-dread, three deffkoptas and six killa kans to consider.

For skin I'm thinking of going with basically what the WHTV video from 2014 suggested: Waaagh Flesh, Biel-Tan Green, Warboss Green and maybe Moot Green instead of Snikrot since I already have the former.

Once I get the missing Biel-Tan and Warboss greens and some more Chaos Black spray I'll probably try to do the battlewagon and rest of my AoBR choppa Boyz as soon as possible. I still haven't decided on how the rest of the ~40 boyz will be armed, currently they're blu-tacked with shootas but might go 30/30.

Edited by tvih

Things I'd really like to add to my waaagh for koolness:

- Biker warboss, bring on da plastic dammit so I can have it leading my nob bikers

- Full unit of stormboyz, gimme muh-ney for 'em :wink:

- Full unit of flash gitz for shootin' otha gitz in da face

- Some meganobz for stompin' 'n' smashin' - but these dudes are also REALLY pricey kits :unsure.:

Such a bummer about orks that small squads aren't viable, like what would you do with just five stormboyz? Die instantly, to shooting and morale checks both (or by having Zagstruk, but requires playing as Goffs at least once klans are properly implemented). Hard to have them parked next to 30 regular boyz at all times for morale, especially since the stormboyz get to the enemy faster. Prices are an issue because aside from not getting around to painting what I already do have I've already spent several times as much as I should've on 40k figs (mostly the marines which are completely out of hand) and I really loathe spending much more when I get around to playing so rarely! I've only had 8 games in the last 4 years.

Welcome to the WAAAAGH!

I definitely think a good wash will go a long ways on those Orks. I dig that dakka jet, looks proppa and mean.

Tomorrow I should acquire the paints to get started on more painting. Today I've prepped for painting the three semi-assembled killa kans I had (other three are still in sprues) as well as Grukk Facerippa and for the most part the deff-dread. Might get properly started on the painting queue beyond basecoats only on Sunday or Monday, real life stuff intervening in the meanwhile.

It's quite ridiculous when you think about it, even if took an hour per ork or other infantry model to paint - might be possible with proper "mass production" painting style - by now I've had nearly over 1500 days in which to paint, even at 15 minutes a day I'd have painted all of my 15k points or more of 40k models that I have with ease had I just gotten around to doing it :dry.:

A wave of chaos slammed into my boyz and tore the poor ladz apart!

http://tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ork-basecoat-massacre.jpg

I thought I had cleaned the flash from at least the AoBR boyz, but turns out I hadn't. So I suppose the same is true for the non-AoBR boyz and other orks. I really hate this part of prepping minis. All the more so when there's 100+ of them... :censored:

Yeah that wash method would be pretty easy if not for the fact that white undercoat? No, no no no noooo :P Enough brain damage from trying to use useless white sprays and paints.

Before committing to a technique, did small test pieces:

http://tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ork-skintests1.jpg

First is WHTV method of Waaagh Flesh -> Biel-Tan Green -> Warboss Green

Second is Waaagh Flesh -> Warboss Green -> Biel-Tan Green

Third is Warboss Green -> Biel-Tan Green -> Warboss Green drybrush

I don't like the first much because it takes the longest while actually looking the worst. I know orks are kinda comic-style in general, but the dark areas are just too exaggerated. The lighter areas could be expanded more, but it would take even more time and the contrast would still be the same.

The difference in the second and third is negligible, but I think it looks servicable, having clear but not exaggerated definition and good skin tone overall. It'd be great if Warboss Green was a Base paint, it'd make it faster. As is it's either a layer of Waaagh and a one thick-ish layer of Warboss, or just two thick-ish layers of Warboss, and then the wash. The drybrush seems negligible, so could just as well skip that, or alternatively would have to try a lighter color (the Moot Green, I suppose) to make it visible.

I guess I could try a lighter basecoat to see if a single coat of Warboss would be enough on that, but as far as Citadel sprays I only have Leadbelcher or possibly Averland that'd be reasonable to paint on, and I'm sick of my non-Citadel spray cans, they work so ridiculously poorly especially as they can't be used at all in a horizontal position. Well, actually I do have the older GW white spray, but that goes firmly into the "no, no no no noooo" category. Anyway I suppose I'll give the lighter coat a try later today, but since the current boys already are black probably not gonna re-basecoat them.

I know you say you don't rate non Citadel sprays but Army Painter have a Goblin Green spray that matches Warboss Green pretty much perfectly. That plus a Biel-Tan wash is how I'm doing mine and it looks great.

I will also say that Warboss Green only needs one coat over Averland Spray, so that's another great way to get some done quickly.

I'm painting a 'test' box or Boyz as subassemblies using appropriate sprays as staring points and it's working well for me. I have very unsteady hands, so I try to minimise the amount of brush work as I just make a mess of it.

Sprays and washes are what I try to use the majority of the time. I did the bodies as Army Painter brown spray, arms and bare heads with their green spray and helmeted heads with Averland. Do some single coat detail (Leadbeltcher on guns, Black on boots, Averland on armour etc) and then use washes and job's a good'un!

Good luck with your Waaagh!

Funny, the first one was the one I like'd the best from the start. The other two are nice as well.  You don't need to have %100 consistency for skin color.  One thing I do is Dark green, layer my lighter green but not so much on the sides facing the ground and then add  lightest layer to the uppermost sides. where the most light will hit the model. 

I've never found sprays to be worth the trouble for Orks myself.  Too much repainting and if they go on too thick or fuzzy from humidity. It's just too much bother. 
Still, they look nice and clean. Keep it up!

Well, it's gotta be primed somehow, ork or not, and spray is the easiest and fastest way to do that, and especially the thinnest & most even!

I'm not sure about Army Painter sprays, but most other sprays I've tried have been a pain. Gettlng clogged, watery output, can't be used horizontally... a lot of bottles are so that half of the paint is spent trying to get it flowing properly, the other half is left in the bottle when either the gas runs out or it just stops working otherwise. Ugh. I actually did buy a green spray at one point with which that one Boy is basecoated with, I think for the skin I did just the spray + Nuln Oil, but somehow the green was surprisingly annoying to paint on for the clothes and stuff. Oh, and the nob is probably black spray + Caliban Green + Nuln Oil, a rather dark end result - not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that.

But yeah I'm thinking that going forward try to do the arms and heads in maybe Leadbelcher since that'll get the correct color for the weapons while at it, and hopefully needing only that one layer of Warboss. For the body - when the model has separate arms - doesn't matter from the skin point of view much since the only skin area is the neck generally.

Looking good!

I actually like the top arm the best too. On a small palette like that, yeah it seems overpowering, but once the whole ork is together and with 30 other boyz I think you’re going to appreciate that definition to the muscle.

Just my two cents. Keep the updates coming!

Yeah, I painted all the loose AoBR arms now (and the skin on two bodies, hooray). Despite again trying several ways of going about it, the end result is close to the top one, just bit less "aggressive" in contrast perhaps. It does feel the wash is a bit unnecessary since the Waaagh Flesh provides dark enough recesses as it is. I was afraid that might end up happening - an expensive pot to have sitting around unused (like so many other pots already do) :P

I'm hoping to finish this batch of ~16 boyz during next week. It's too bad the ETL isn't on yet, could vow the entire army during summer. Far more models to paint than for my other armies. But I don't want to just wait once inspiration has struck, it'd just wane in the meanwhile :P But I guess we shall see what faction I'll vow for once the event does start.

Since they are called greenskins, clearly they're finished when their skin is green, right? Right?! No? Damn. Well, the batch of 16 boyz basically got the skin done yesterday unless I do the Moot Green highlights, uncertain of that but it'd only be for the face anyway, no sharp skin edges elsewhere really. Regardless, gonna do weapons and hopefully at least some clothing today.

I may start some more models before the ETL, but it does seem like I'll vow for the orks this time around. I don't want to put off painting them any longer by vowing for someone else.

I wanted to test where the new methods would lead to with a finished figure in the same style as the Dakkajet.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ork-boy-new1.jpg

Better than the old one, but sadly none the faster to paint once you get down to the detail level. Doesn't even have highlighting on the browns which would likely notably improve the look, but had to draw the line somewhere.

Reworked the boss nob according to the new scheme, another couple of hours spent on an already painted model:
http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ork-nob-pklaw-ready2.jpg

Unfortunately the warp dissappearances of bitz in my apartment continues and the part of his power klaw vanished... :down: Still not sure of the "groin protector" either, though it definitely looks better than it did in all white. It's just rather... sizeable. And maybe the whole "skull" would've looked better in black like the nob's headgear, but went with red since the shirt was already black and the "red raised plates" theme... bah :tongue.:

Edited by tvih

One of the stranger members of my waaagh is a vintage 1989 painboy that I got along with some other vintage models. I'm not sure if it has ever even been painted. It has a clenched fist plastic right arm (unattached) that I got with it. Of course the funny part is that nowadays painboy is nob-sized. This dude on the other hand is smaller than a modern plastic boy. Adding a nob plastic powerklaw to an ork boy arm wouldn't be difficult but it's bound to make the dude look even funnier! And of course on the tabletop he's a 4-wound model. Ha! Probably gonna vow him in the ETL right off the bat for giggles.

I also have an old warbiker, also from RT era if I recall. Harder to vow him because the only bikes I have are nobz and he'd really look silly cruising around with those guys! (So clearly I should make him my warboss... bwahaha!)

Sort of true, though with his 4 attacks (as well as the 4 wounds) he's a good candidate for wielding a klaw anyway, I guess he's likely to end up in combat at some point. Although seems he can also have a killsaw... I might go with that, it seems kind of like a more surgeon-ish tool of the two. Only problem is that the single killsaw-type weapon on the nob sprue is a right arm and a klaw is easier to cut cleanly from an arm in general.

Then again... I recall reading in Rynn's World about orks doing some weird experiment stuff. The painboy has a flat spot at the back. I could even attach a whole nob arm there with the killsaw, make him into a proper three-armed monstrosity. Orks were an army that's all about fun after all, right? Bwahaha! Then I could fashion something for an 'urty syringe for his right arm.

For my Nobz it's a bit of a bummer that while options allow for a shoota + melee weapon option apparently, I don't think there's really appropriate bits for a nob shoota? I suppose you could convert some, like from a nob pistol arm + boyz shoota. Kustom shoota could be two-barreled, made from two shootas. But I guess I'll wait for the codex to see if these options still exist before cutting into things (although supposedly it's ok to use index loadout options even after codex release, based on what GW has said before).

Edited by tvih

Then again... I recall reading in Rynn's World about orks doing some weird experiment stuff. The painboy has a flat spot at the back. I could even attach a whole nob arm there with the killsaw, make him into a proper three-armed monstrosity. Orks were an army that's all about fun after all, right? Bwahaha! Then I could fashion something for an 'urty syringe for his right arm.

That's a great idea! I'd love to see that.

For my Nobz it's a bit of a bummer that while options allow for a shoota + melee weapon option apparently, I don't think there's really appropriate bits for a nob shoota? I suppose you could convert some, like from a nob pistol arm + boyz shoota. Kustom shoota could be two-barreled, made from two shootas. But I guess I'll wait for the codex to see if these options still exist before cutting into things (although supposedly it's ok to use index loadout options even after codex release, based on what GW has said before).

Shootas are easy to convert, from your suggestion of slapping a together a slugga and a shoot, to replacing the slugga with some one weapon, like a bolter, or three lasguns strapped together, or whatever. Orks have that freedom (the slugga+shoota option is easiest).

I wouldn't expect that option to get taken away. Frankly, I'd be super surprised if it did.

That's a great idea! I'd love to see that.

Well... no syringe yet, but the mad surgeon himself:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ork-mad-painboy.jpg

He sure made himself brawny with that attachment... must be his arm-wrestling appendage.

The nobz mob comes with a giant pile of kombiweapons, if you want a shoota it can be as simple as chopping off some rokkits. Then you have some spare rokkits to convert a boy into a tankbusta!

Not sure I'd call three kombis a giant pile when talking about orks :tongue.: But one of the bigger problems is those are designed for two hands. Nothing that extra cutting can't solve, of course. Just that the more I start cutting things, the more radically the chance of success is lowered.