Renegades questions

Sume

Hello all. I been currently building a force of Slaanesh daemons. I recently started to get some games in with them. I am finding that they are great fun but lacking in the department of high strength and some board pressure.

Is it worth adding some renegades for baslisks, lemen rid tanks some hell hounds, sentinels and some cheap troops with Chimeras to hold objectives and provide some extra board presence. Along with additional high value targets that would enable the daemonettes to do there job.

Any feedback is helpful. I get that the list is not as useful since it lacks the guard orders.

Thanks all.

I am adding in hellflayer chariots, 2 demon princes and a kos. Using the fw as it looks better. I just wanted some extra board presence and I can't really fit a useful amount of chaos space marines units for the 600 is points I want to allocate to this portion of the 2k force.

I don't find that Slaanesh Daemons need the assist vs. hordes, personally. 

I also don't find Chimeras to be worth their cost and would rather spend the points on more boots on the ground.

A Patrol Detachment of a Commander, Command Squad, 2 Militias and 2 Basilisks will see you right and costs about 350pts, depending on equipment. Take the Command Net Vox and Vox-Casters.

I was going to say I didnt find hordes an issue.  Usually my demonettes will kill whatever makes contact.  Its the portion that I realize I high strength outside of a few things like the hellflayers, kos, and princes.  Then I really have nothing that I can justify camping on objectives.  Since my army wants to be in close combat.  

I didnt like the model count per point i was finding with CSM.  Dont get me wrong I am sure I can find a way to make it work.

I will look around at the patrol detachment.  I just wanted some extra bodies that could help deal with things like the flying hive tyrant, and be able to help me shoot things off objectives.  Finding some high strength shots will also help keep things like Morty and or Magus get whittled down so I can actually over come them.

Thanks.

I don't find that Slaanesh Daemons need the assist vs. hordes, personally. 

I also don't find Chimeras to be worth their cost and would rather spend the points on more boots on the ground.

A Patrol Detachment of a Commander, Command Squad, 2 Militias and 2 Basilisks will see you right and costs about 350pts, depending on equipment. Take the Command Net Vox and Vox-Casters.

Totally agree on point one and two. We do not have any units worth transporting despite marauders maybe and they are better into Valkyries with Plasma dropping them into ruins with Stalkers.

A patrol detachment is a good idea, but I would consider Malefic Lord for 80 Points, he still gets his points out with Warp Flux and Smite Combo. For troop options it is totally up which one option you choose, for the least points and most efficient, I say Cultists. Remember you can put them into squadrons to save drops and allowing you up to 6 Basilisks for that single Detachment.

How are the scout sentinels and salamander scout tanks?  I am thinking of taking a battalion detachment or a brigade detachment .  Basically to give myself 5 more CP or 12.  It looks really dirt cheap if I just take 3 squads of cultists with no real upgrades.  I am liking the data entry for the basilisks.  I dont see a need to take much upgrades on the scout sentinels.  I like how I can get 9 for real cheap.  I think they might triumph the salamander tank.  This would give me a lot of forward cheaper pressure to help pop opposing tanks, or hit squads of chaff to whittle them down.  This would also I think allow me to actually have some useful screening for hellflayer chariots, and demonettes on the ground.  This strategy I think will work well.  I am also thinking allocating more points then initially planned to around 800.  

I never used guard before so my knowledge really is from the times I have fought against them.  I decided to go with more bodies.  I am seeing that marines just die in droves this edition anyways.  So I rather be that guy that plops down 200 or so bodies on the table.  I am ordering interlocking skirmish movement trays to help me move my demonette blobs around and it also helps save my back!  I want my opponent not to groan but also have a good time.  

I am not the most competitive player but I do at least like to give up a good fight. 

If you want useful Sentinels, get the armoured ones. 5 points for a 3+ save instead a 4+ and put lascannons on them for 20 points with T5 and 6 Wounds these lascannons will last longer than in any squad. In my opinion the best weapon we got is the Leman Russ with Battle Cannon and Lascannon (164 Points), easily shredding through any tank this edition. Damage wise the Leman Russ is better, he is a real fighter, but the basilisk offers more utility and that strength 9 AP -3 is good against really tough stuff like Landraiders or other Russes. Keep in mind most things you have to deal with is either T7 (T8 is really rare) and a lot of stuff has a 4+ invulnerable save, more than AP -2 is often overdoing it.

I have a Vassal list that uses three Armoured Sentinels with Lascannons to dissuade T1 DSers (no longer a big issue) and to mitigate for my lack of decent R&H AT. Honestly, they don't do much except plink a few wounds off something tanky, then die. I probably won't end up actually buying the models, will probably look at Hellhounds instead.

I didn't consider the Malefic Lord 'cause they cost a lot more than a Commander and also because my 1750pt Daemon army has six Heralds, so Psykers are not something I am lacking. YMMV.

Hellflayers are a lot faster than Sentinels, FYI.

In my R&H lists I typically field Russes, Hellhounds and Basilisks. Not as good as Astra but close enough, esp since R&H can still field morale-mitigating screens (w Enforcers).

If I field a Chimera its for transporting either Ogryn Brutes (and used to lead assaults and eat overwatch) or Rogue Psyker Covens (so they can get out behind it and give Unnatural Vigor to my infantry).

Sentinels are okay, but i think anti-tank is better in Heavy Support slots.

A rough draft I came up with.  I did drop some things in favor for more traitor guard things.  I did add in chimeras which I see being able to transport the cultists around.  I might be just better off without them and adding back in the 2nd demon prince and some hellflayer chariots.  I am just still at the planning stage.  I rather find out with help what I should not get.  So I dont have useless model kits sitting around.  This list still has 15 points left over as I was unsure what troop choice I should take.  So I left off equipment upgrades for the moment.  Let me know what you think. 

Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Daemons) 

HQ 

Daemon Prince of Chaos [9 P]: Hellforged sword, Slaanesh, The Forbidden Gem, Wings

Herald of Slaanesh [4 PL]: Ravaging claws

Herald of Slaanesh [4 PL]: Ravaging claws

Troops

[Daemonettes [12 PL]:Alluress, 29x Daemonette, Daemonic Icon, Instrument of Chaos

Daemonettes [4 PL]: Alluress, 9x Daemonette

Daemonettes [12 PL]: Alluress, 29x Daemonette, Daemonic Icon, Instrument of Chaos

Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Renegade & Heretics) 

HQ 

Renegade Commander [3 PL]: Brutal Assault weapon, Laspistol

Renegade Commander [3 PL]: Brutal Assault weapon, Laspistol

Troops 

Renegade Cultists [3 PL] 9x Renegade Cultist w/ Autogun
Renegade Cultist Champion: Autogun

Renegade Cultists [3 P] 9x Renegade Cultist w/ Autogun
Renegade Cultist Champion: Autogun

Renegade Cultists [3 PL]: 9x Renegade Cultist w/ Autogun
. Renegade Cultist Champion: Autogun

Heavy Support

Basilisks [12 PL]
Basilisk: Heavy Bolter
Basilisk: Heavy Bolter
Leman Russ Battle Tanks [20 PL]
Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Lascannon
Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Lascannon

Dedicated Transport 

Chimera [5 PL]: Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser

I personally would never use chimeras for anything besides Ogryns, as Akrim said. For anything else it is wasting points. Personally I would never use the Muli-laser I cannot come up with a single edition where this weapon was useful. I run them in two Patterns Chimera "Defender" (Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber) to hold Objectives and the Chimera "Raider" (Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Stormbolter) to crush into enemy lines and transport close combat troops.

I think you are right. I was not liking it so much also. Thinking doing 1 to 2 russ, 2 to 4 baslisks. 2 ogryn units in chimeras with a bare commisar. That way I got something beefy to help capture objects and a transport for them. Then some big guns for the stuff I actually struggle with.

Archived