How do you beat this?

I have searched my old junk boxes with broken models and left overs. I was able to find and (re)assemble three infantry squads, six heavy weapon bases and a command squad company commander. They already had their first showing with three Leman Russes in addition to my Stormies against the Nids. Plays so much more fluidly and relaxed. I hope that this new and revised setup will fare better against whatever the DA can cook up next.

What my setup looks right now, based on what I found:

Hidden Content

Cadian Battalion

Company Commander - Relic of Lost Cadia

Primaris Psyker

Command Squad - 4 Plasmas

3 Infantry Squads - (3) Grenade Launchers

2 HWS - (6) Heavy Bolters

Chimera - 2 Heavy Bolters

Cadian Spearhead

Pask - Punisher, 3 Heavy Bolters

2 LRBTs - Battle cannon, 2 Heavy Bolters, Lascannon (its so classic, I had to)

2 Wyvern

Militarum Tempestus KASRKIN Battalion

Kasrkin Prime (?) - Command Rod, Auto-reliquiary

Lord Commissar

Command Squad - 4 Hotshot Volley Guns (Hellvolley Guns?)

2 units of 5 Kasrkins - 2 Plasmas, Plasma Pistol, Vox

10 Kasrkins - 4 Meltas, Plasma Pistol, Vox

2 Taurox Primes - Autocannons, Gatling

1980pts

Unused, but available:

Valkyrie - full dakka

3 Bullgryns plus Bodyguard

3 Scout Sentinels

A bit short on anti-tank, but ai hope that is more in line with what Imperial Guard is all about :P

I ran against an almost identical list this weekend.

Here's what i had:

Hidden Content
Vostroyan Brigade

Warlord : Company Commander with Plasma Pistol, Kuirovs Aquila and Grand Strategist

2 Company Commanders

4 Inf Squads with Plasma Guns

2 Inf Squads with Sniper Rifle and Lascannon

Astropath w/ Psychic Barrier (baby sat Hydra)

Command Squad with 4 Sniper Rifles

8x Crusaders

1 Ministorum Priest with Plasma Gun

Artemia Pattern Hellhound

2x Scout Sentinals w/ multilaser

Leman Russ Annihilator w/ lascannon

HWT with Mortars

Hydra

Valkyrie with Rocket Pods, Multilaser, Hvy Bolters

Catachan Vanguard

Primaris Psyker with Mental Fortitude, Nightshroud (babysat Annihilator)

2 Hades Breaching drills squads with 2 plasma in each

Master of Oridinance

Basilisk

Manticore

Auxillary Detatchment:

Inquisitor Coteaz with Terrrify

Coteaz, Crusaders and Priest rode in Valkyrie.

He went first: Deployed Football style, tons of LOS blocking terrain and ruins. We played new faq /beta rules with increased CP and deep strike restrictions. Night fight rule was in effect 1st turn.

in back left corner i set up my Artillery + mortars + Annihilator outside of LOS, 4 Squads of infantry bubble-wrap in ruins. Other corner i put 2 squads + snipers in ruins + astropath and Wyvern. Hades + Valkyrie squad were in reserve.

His first Turn: He deployed at the edge of his deployment, so he moved up everything (5 raiders with mix of units inside, 3 venoms with mix of units, 15-20 reavers in a single unit, void bomber and razorwing) Was effectively in my lines ( no charges this turn) His shooting killed 3 squads of infantry in ruins, his jet put a few wounds on my Hydra, almost destroyed my hellhound.

My first turn. Brought in 1st Hades squad Drill and squad charged a raider, killing it. Incubi inside. Shooting i put his void bomber on 2nd tier, and killed all reavers except for 4. Random wounds on a couple units. Valkyrie came in and shot some stuff, pretty ineffective.

His second turn : killed all the rest of my 98% of my infantry with fire from raiders, tied up Manticore and Basilisk with remaining scatter bikes, killed my hell-hound, His Archon + some killy retinue got out of a venom and cleaned up my bubble wrap around Hydra. Incubi killed my drill + half shotgun "veterans".. His razor wing flew off the table

My second turn: Managed to kill the rest of the reavers, Put my Valkyrie in hover mode and shot full BS, not very effective. 2nd Hades came in and tried to kill off Incubi in open, failed charges. Crusaders + priest + coteaz disembarked near his archon + retinue. Got pychic barrier off on crusaders 2+ save now. Multi charged his Archon and Slyth, needed a 6 rolled a 5. Used stratagem to re-roll - and he blocked it with his shenanigan 3 CP stratagem.

His third Turn: Incubi charged and killed 2nd Hades squad, He shot my 2+ save crusaders down to 1 man, all remaining infantry were killed ( couple auto pass squads with 1 man left at this point). Tied up all my artillery + Leman russ with infantry from raiders. His HQ got back in the venom and ran away. I had 1 Hydra that could shoot, 2 scout sentinels, Coteaz with Priest + 1 crusader, 2 mortar teams, and 2 company commanders left (including HQ).  I conceded here.

The whole game i managed to kill 1 raider, a 5 man wych unit, and his 15-20 reavers.

Don't know what i could have done differently.

Here's what i had:

Hidden Content
Vostroyan Brigade

Warlord : Company Commander with Plasma Pistol, Kuirovs Aquila and Grand Strategist

2 Company Commanders

8x Crusaders

HWT with Mortars

Hydra

Catachan Vanguard

Master of Oridinance

Basilisk

Manticore

Auxillary Detatchment:

He went first: Deployed Football style, tons of LOS blocking terrain and ruins. We played new faq /beta rules with increased CP and deep strike restrictions. Night fight rule was in effect 1st turn.

in back left corner i set up my Artillery + mortars + Annihilator outside of LOS, 4 Squads of infantry bubble-wrap in ruins. Other corner i put 2 squads + snipers in ruins + astropath and Wyvern. Hades + Valkyrie squad were in reserve.

His first Turn: He deployed at the edge of his deployment, so he moved up everything (5 raiders with mix of units inside, 3 venoms with mix of units, 15-20 reavers in a single unit, void bomber and razorwing) Was effectively in my lines ( no charges this turn) His shooting killed 3 squads of infantry in ruins, his jet put a few wounds on my Hydra, almost destroyed my hellhound.

My first turn. Brought in 1st Hades squad Drill and squad charged a raider, killing it. Incubi inside. Shooting i put his void bomber on 2nd tier, and killed all reavers except for 4. Random wounds on a couple units. Valkyrie came in and shot some stuff, pretty ineffective.

His second turn : killed all the rest of my 98% of my infantry with fire from raiders, tied up Manticore and Basilisk with remaining scatter bikes, killed my hell-hound, His Archon + some killy retinue got out of a venom and cleaned up my bubble wrap around Hydra. Incubi killed my drill + half shotgun "veterans".. His razor wing flew off the table

My second turn: Managed to kill the rest of the reavers, Put my Valkyrie in hover mode and shot full BS, not very effective. 2nd Hades came in and tried to kill off Incubi in open, failed charges. Crusaders + priest + coteaz disembarked near his archon + retinue. Got pychic barrier off on crusaders 2+ save now. Multi charged his Archon and Slyth, needed a 6 rolled a 5. Used stratagem to re-roll - and he blocked it with his shenanigan 3 CP stratagem.

His third Turn: Incubi charged and killed 2nd Hades squad, He shot my 2+ save crusaders down to 1 man, all remaining infantry were killed ( couple auto pass squads with 1 man left at this point). Tied up all my artillery + Leman russ with infantry from raiders. His HQ got back in the venom and ran away. I had 1 Hydra that could shoot, 2 scout sentinels, Coteaz with Priest + 1 crusader, 2 mortar teams, and 2 company commanders left (including HQ).  I conceded here.

The whole game i managed to kill 1 raider, a 5 man wych unit, and his 15-20 reavers.

Sounds tough, but I have a few bits of advice for you:

1) You have a lot of 1 off units e.g. 1 manticore, 1 basilisk, 1 leman russ, 1 hell hound etc. There is an old saying in the Guard "if it is worth taking once, it is worth taking 3 times". By only having 1 of each unit it makes it easy for your opponant to target priority.

2) You had very little Infantry.  Your screens need screens! By turn 2 your screens were gone. In my own 1500 pts army I run at least 100 infantry and I use a "3 line defence"

line 1 = cheap infantry squads, either bare bones or with a heavy bolter and plasma depending on the points (used to be conscripts before nerf)

line 2 = more infantry squads with more dakka, maybe a couple of hell hounds and bullgryns

line 3 = toy breakers, tanks and arty

The reason you need 2 screens is it means you have redundancy. Take a look at your infantry. Assume you will lose 40-60 men by turn 2. Thats means after turn 2 (at the latest) the enemy will be running amok in your toy breakers. Thus the natural answer is you need more time to let your boom boom units get to work and the best way to do this is to have more bloody infantry holding them back.

Hope this helps :)

Here's what i had:

Hidden Content
Vostroyan Brigade

2 Company Commanders

8x Crusaders

HWT with Mortars

Hydra

Catachan Vanguard

Master of Oridinance

Basilisk

Manticore

Auxillary Detatchment:

1) You have a lot of 1 off units e.g. 1 manticore, 1 basilisk, 1 leman russ, 1 hell hound etc. There is an old saying in the Guard "if it is worth taking once, it is worth taking 3 times". By only having 1 of each unit it makes it easy for your opponant to target priority.

2) You had very little Infantry.  Your screens need screens! By turn 2 your screens were gone. In my own 1500 pts army I run at least 100 infantry and I use a "3 line defence"

line 1 = cheap infantry squads, either bare bones or with a heavy bolter and plasma depending on the points (used to be conscripts before nerf)

line 2 = more infantry squads with more dakka, maybe a couple of hell hounds and bullgryns

The reason you need 2 screens is it means you have redundancy. Take a look at your infantry. Assume you will lose 40-60 men by turn 2. Thats means after turn 2 (at the latest) the enemy will be running amok in your toy breakers. Thus the natural answer is you need more time to let your boom boom units get to work and the best way to do this is to have more bloody infantry holding them back.

Hope this helps :smile.:

What percentage of your points in a given list would you say you allocate to infantry and their upgrades? What kind of detachments are you using with all your infantry squads? Most of your points are solid, the one of each is mainly due to the models I own. My next priorities for guard purchases are more Russes and a baneblade variant.

After i played against Dark Eldar yersterday i can say.

Yes it seems to be total normal to get completely destroyed by them before you even had the chance to roll a die.

Half my army got wiped out in the shooting phase and the little rest that remained got first Turn charged across the Table.

All this happened before my first Turn.

So my only option i had left was the good old Table Flip:sweat:

No seriously i gave up after my Enemy ended his FIRST Turn.

I had a long chat after the game with my Enemy and neither of us was able to came up with a other Tactic i could have used to survive into turn 2.

so i have to join the chor

How do you beat this?

Could having a Stormlord full of troops survive a first turn barrage?

How about adding a few fortifications?

Lots of Valkyries packed with storm-troopers (deep striking after the Dark Eldar)?

Could having a Stormlord full of troops survive a first turn barrage?

How about adding a few fortifications?

Lots of Valkyries packed with storm-troopers (deep striking after the Dark Eldar)?

i had 32 Sions in Deepstrike but it was already to late to turn the game and with the new Deepstrike rule i would have had wait till turn 2 to deepstrike them anywhere they could do some real damage.

Fortifications are a huge waste of points in my Opinion, if i include a Fortification i couldn't afford units to man it.

A stormlord could work but i really hate the idea i have to tailor my army against some enemy's to even stand a Chance

where is this mysterious "Balancing" everybody talks about when i need it?:sweat:

Here's what i had:

Hidden Content
Vostroyan Brigade

2 Company Commanders

8x Crusaders

HWT with Mortars

Hydra

Catachan Vanguard

Master of Oridinance

Basilisk

Manticore

Auxillary Detatchment:

Hope this helps :smile.:

What percentage of your points in a given list would you say you allocate to infantry and their upgrades? What kind of detachments are you using with all your infantry squads? Most of your points are solid, the one of each is mainly due to the models I own. My next priorities for guard purchases are more Russes and a baneblade variant.

I normally go for a rough 50/50 split so in my 2000 pts list I go for 800-1000pts of infantry. I like to run 12 Infantry Squads and 3 Veteran Squads split across a Brigade and a Battalion. I always aim for about 120-150 "Line Infantry"

Model collection is always a tricky one. My advice is to scour ebay on a weekly basis and keep an eye of for great deals. Try to avoid paying more then £1 per guardsmen and £3 per heavy weapon. Russes can be picked up for about £20.

Bane blades are cool, but dark eldar are very good at picking a target and surgically removing it. However they are really cool and super powerful! If you can keep it alive it will dominate games :biggrin.:

Dark Eldar seem really popular atm, maybe its time for us to bring some proper anti flyer...

yXyJCzV.jpg

Archived