Raven Guard Tactica in a Changing Meta

Dracos

1 no they specifically call out SftS as being exempt

Similarly with units that are on the board turn 1 can use redeployment rules to avoid the restriction too

Eg GK interceptor Shunts

I think a lot of self-interested parties are mixing Reserves, Deployed, etc in ways that either don’t nerf them or ways they want their opponent to be nerfed that aren’t really valid. :(

Seriade: If I understand your question correctly. Yes a unit in reserve not deployed by the end of turn three is considered destroyed.

As far as shooting being an issue ... I don’t understand what that is referring to.

No i was refering to the issue is if a grey knight squad the one that can teleport while on the battlefield shunts it leaves the board then renters from reserve.  The rule being that any unit in reserve beyond turn 3 is destroyed.  Lets just say there are a few RAW issues with the faq and its probably best to discuss intent before the start of the game before they clarify a few things.

Hi everyone, two questions:

1) I thought Sfts didn't put units in reserve, just let you deploy them later than your oppoenent, so didn't have to follow deep striking rules.

2) What is VV?

1 They are not in reserve but you still need to follow the rules for deployment aka deploy half the army.  Those rules are now half the number of units and half the power level.

Hi everyone, two questions:

1) I thought Sfts didn't put units in reserve, just let you deploy them later than your oppoenent, so didn't have to follow deep striking rules.

2) What is VV?

1) SFTS functions exactly like reserves, the only difference is when they are deployed.

GW didn't touch it for 2 reasons:

1) We have to pay command points to use it

And

2) If they said we couldn't do it, they would be removing our only unique strategem from matched play altogether. Which wouldn't be fair.

I need a clarification. Units put in SFTS count as in reserve for PL issue or count as deployed?

That sounds like a good one for the FAQ email for a clarification

They've always counted as in reserve for number of units. With the advent of PL being used I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same.

Honestly, it would be a little broken if SFTS didn't have to work the same way as reserves. Then we could reserve up to 50% of the total PL and SFTS even more.

Players of other factions would complain, and they'd be right to do so.

I played three games in the FLGS monthly tourney this past weekend using the new FAQ and the Beta rules.

My first game was against Space Wolves. The new reserves rules put a wrench in his typical tactics of bringing in Grey Hunters and Harald Deathwolf on a flank early to mow down the backfield.

By the time they arrived, I'd already gutted his battle line with shooting and SftS Assault Centurions (I had first turn).

Second game was against Custodes backed up by Guard Artillery and a plasma Command Tank, plus a Knight.

I didn't get first turn, so it was hard to get anything near his artillery in the backfield. Custodes are nearly unkillable with two Shield Captains on bikes with 3++ saves and a -1 to hit vexilla nearby.

Final game was against Mechanicus,who who had something like 22 command points to start the game, plus the ability to recover the ones spent on a 5+ or something. Plus the Forgeworld ability that's the -1 to hit with all shooting, even for the walker tanks with neutron lasers. He got first turn and used the SftS equivalent on a huge blob of electro priests who ended up with a 3++ in short order, buffable to a 2++.

I stood no chance in this game whatsoever, deep strike rules and FAQ made no impact at all.

I did find that the deep strike rule really hurt my Assault Marines. Normally, I drop them in first turn to screen or grab empty objectives or board space. Can't do that anymore, so they just clog up my deployment zone and do nothing much at all.

Archived