Custodes post-FAQ

dtse

So I think that Custodes comes away pretty good post-FAQ.  Spamming captains more than 3 was never the best way to run them.  We now get way more CP for our little guard CP batteries.  We have basically immunity to first turn assault deepstrikes (except against genestealers, but who plays those? haha), and now I think the -1 to hit vexilla becomes a better buy to protect against turn 1 shooting alpha.  I think you can still use CP to deepstrike a big biker unit to protect from shooting alpha, but you can decide that on a game by game basis.  Lots of bikes gives us super mobility to counter act inability to turn 1 drop.  Allarus now become even worse without ability to drop turn 1, I was still on the fence before, but now they are just gone from my list.  Our little guardsmen at the back can be hide and be safe from all but long-range ignore-LOS shooting.

Overall, i feel custodes is good post-FAQ.

other people's thoughts?

I'm talking from a super competitive stand point, but I am loving terminators, I'm as salty as most about the no T1 deepstrike, but I like having my bikes do the T1 work anyway, and the terms come in when the chaff is gone from 36/48/60 hurricane bolters shots. Agree -1 is amazing especially agaisnt guard and tau as you are really hurting their output.

As a casual player, I was only dropping my Allarus with the vexilla homer strategy anyway so the no turn one strikes didn't hit home for me as much as it might have others.  I'm way more inclined to take standard guardians for the battalion CP now and I'll be grabbing another box to hit the 3 squad minimum. That boost to CP makes me way more inclined to use some of the less used strategems.  I had already been running the -1 to hit vexilla in every game, but I'm almost wanting to take the +1 attack vexilla as well and just run a horde of gold at my friends and see what happens.

The list I was taking got better, so im keeping the battalion. My allarus got worse, and now I feel forced to invest in more bikes. I feel that pushing an army towards one build or one unit is a negative overall to the game.

We played a few games with the beta rulea last night. Overall I feel the reserves change is bad, it makes the game a lot slower, and the restrictions on how much of your army can be in reserves is rediculous, blood angels in particular got hurt bad. Im hoping most of these changes dont go through, because there was already a decent part of the game devoted to counter deepstrike play, with infiltrators and screens. Now thats just gone. Infiltrators and screens just get shot off t1 and you get alpha striked in turn 2.

The changes also hurt combat units in particular, on average theyre getting in t3 after 2 rounds of shooting and overwatch, whereas shooting alpha is basically just delayed.

Codex: bikes is fine and was barely impacted by the changes. Not much point deepstriking some bikes now (to many points to do nothing for 2 turns).

Codex: Custodes suffers more since Terminators and large Guard units deepstriking were often a feature and losing a turn on a small elite army is bad.

Even with using a bunch of bikes, the deepstrike changes hurt a little. I will miss the T1 charges from deepstrike with bikes (as well as shooting a different unit with a ton of bolter shots.)

Getting extra CP for Battalions is pretty crazy though, so much CP!

yea my tournament list has morphed now, into bikes....i was running 7 custodian guard unit, and before that a unit of allarus, but having T2 only now is just not good enough im afraid. and need for turn 1 mobility is that much better now 

I will have to try it but the change to assualting into ruins makes me really worried about Custodes. I don't mean to sound like a broken record but with our big bases, it'll be very easy for opponents to keep their important shooting stuff safe from assualt. The bikes were the most competitive option in the codex before but now that's even more so seeing as Fly units actually have a shot at assualting those units in ruins. On the other hand, Custodes bikes have even bigger bases. I really need to test these things out this weekend to see if I'm making a mountain out if a mole hill.

I’m not sure the ruins will be too much of a problem. There’s not many units you can fit on the top of some ruins that the hurricane bolters on the bikes can’t clear out, or at least clear out enough space to for an assault.

Also, If you use Allarus, their grenade launchers are pretty good for clearing out units in cover due to the AP.

Even with using a bunch of bikes, the deepstrike changes hurt a little. I will miss the T1 charges from deepstrike with bikes (as well as shooting a different unit with a ton of bolter shots.)

Gambling on a 28% chance to charge was a losing proposition anyway.

And Vexilla Praetorion plate shenanigans don't work against a competent player

They were still a disruption and assured to be in combat turn 2. Now it'll be the third turn before they get in, and the rest of your army has already suffered 2/3 rounds of shooting before they even make a dent. Against armies like tau, thats too long.

As a casual player, I was only dropping my Allarus with the vexilla homer strategy anyway so the no turn one strikes didn't hit home for me as much as it might have others.  I'm way more inclined to take standard guardians for the battalion CP now and I'll be grabbing another box to hit the 3 squad minimum. That boost to CP makes me way more inclined to use some of the less used strategems.  I had already been running the -1 to hit vexilla in every game, but I'm almost wanting to take the +1 attack vexilla as well and just run a horde of gold at my friends and see what happens.

You and I are seeing things the same way.  Get that Vexilla in deep on the first turn and then drop the Allarus on them, because you'd have to wait until Turn 2 to use that stratagem anyhow.

I only wish they had a Vexillus Praetor on a bike now. :D

Your comment isn't entirely accurate in regards to making the 9" charge. And who said anything about using the Paetorion plate?

28% is correct if you don't reroll a die. If you roll a 3+ on a die and use a reroll on the other it increases your success chance by another 14%, so using a command reroll turn 1 pushed that percentage to 42% success. So ya I'd say 1/2 games not making a charge turn 1 is a big deal.

Math on reroll below for people to peruse and correct if I am wrong:

Roll      Die rerolled    Percentage of die roll divided by the chance of success (i.e - rolling a 3+1,2,3,4,5 is 5/36(14%), reroll succeeds on 6 (14%/6) = 2% occurrence)

3          - 1,2,3,4,5      - 2%

4          - 1,2,3,4         - 4%

5          - 1,2,3            - 4%

6          - 1,2               - 4%

Archived