KDC's Space Wolves - Grand Annulus Finished!

Krakendoomcool

@ Grieux

Cheers Grieux I'm glad you recognised him.

@ BrotherJim

Thank you vey much brother.

For the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen or can't remember the unreleased model here is a pic next to the green stuff I did to try to replicate the look.

6f3c429d-0cd9-41e8-a3dd-f8f3bb553d46.jpe

6ed7987c-1c62-487f-b58a-4e640e701c4f.jpe

@ Grieux

Thank you very much, I think my posing is off a bit though (probably why I haven't painted him for 7 or so months). The FW one is more action, he's going to step with his right foot and take a big swing. Mine is more surveying the land. I've pretty much got the legs the opposite way around to the FW one. But couldn't do anything about that using Krom as a base. He's just chilling with his pile of skulls.

• 1 year later...

Time to get the Relic thread out, this old thing is dustier than a Rubrics armour. Amirite brothers?

I've just finished my 12th wolf lord and as they are not all here in the Space Wolf section I'll post them in my old thread.

Bjorn Stormwolf is the Wolf Lord I've just painted...

img_20200216_222534.jpg

and here are all 12 of the Wolf Lords as represented on the Grand Annulus...

img_20200215_225814.jpg

img_20200217_112810.jpg?w=1024

img_20200217_112301.jpg?w=1024

img_20200217_112002.jpg?w=1024

They look great, wish I had the ability to make stuff look like that. If I didn't take a 20 year break in between the hobby I might of been able to lol. Anyways any thought to doing a Wolf Lord from the 13th company, if you have already given thought to it. I'm sure you could make something amazing out of it!

@ Nighthowler

Thank you very much Nighthowler. I'm happy my fellow brothers enjoy them.

@ Kolgrim Deathhowl

Cheers buddy. I remember taking a break that felt like an eternity but was actually about 5 years. The community is fantastic for tips and ideas. That's Petey Sodes snow recipe for example. It's Tommie Soule's Ragnar conversion (mostly). Loads of ideas are borrowed and adapted.

Wolf Lord 13, Bulveye. I have started him. So he's in a bits box somewhere I'll have to dig him out and see what happens. There is a pic of him in the WIP Wolf Lord thread of mine if you can find it.

@ Bjorn Firewalker

Thank you for the encouragement.

@ QuarterPounder

Thank you! That was very much a goal at the outset.

Edited by Krakendoomcool

A Ragnar conversion is what recently prompted my new Space Wolves building, the model from years ago was probably one of my favorite as a kid. So I wanted to make a Primaris version since they didn't have one out yet. And I needed a break from painted Deathwatch all the constant black was getting depressing lol.

• 4 weeks later...

@ bloodhound23

Ha, thank you. I'm hoping to do more good things.

@ Konnaver

Thank you, that means a lot to me.

So with the Wolf Lords done I always wanted to make the Grand Annulus. I've looked at the picture of it and all the company badges so many times and the two projects just go hand in hand.

grand_annulus_colour3-1.png?w=732

0f00ddf0.jpg?w=1000

I had an idea to use cake stands to try to get that circle but then some new AoS terrain was released which I thought might do the job.

I wanted to make sure it was big enough and when I popped into my local gw they had one on the table. It's a Sigmarite dais (I've already started cutting into it in this pic).

img_20200321_211553.jpg?w=1024

It's got the steps, the rim, the inner circle. On closer inspection it has this funky cog mechanism that I thought was perfect, the Grand Annulus imagery gives you the impression it can turn to point at whichever Company Badge is the current Great Wolf. It has runes too but these aren't quite right.

The biggest challenge I thought would be how I was going to measure out 13 slabs and get them on this model somehow. Then I noticed that there are little spikes around the rim. When I counted them I couldn't believe it. 26 spikes! meaning 2 per slab and sort of place holders. I knew I absolutley had to keep this detail it was too much of a coincidence not to make the most of it. Originally I thought I'd make plasticard slabs that would sit on top. That idea went straight out of the window and I started carving the slab into this to preserve the original sculpts details.

img_20200322_210933.jpg?w=768

I've put quite a lot of miliput down to cover all the swirly cuts and symbols and really ensure those slabs stand out. I also started cutting those Fenrisian runes into the stones. Praise Russ that all runes are made of straight lines!

So here is where I'm currently at. I feel like I've taken a good path and it might actually turn out well...

img_20200322_220707.jpg

@ PeteySodes

Ha, I thought you might like this.

Big enough I'd say...

img_20200314_213202.jpg?w=768

img_20200314_213549.jpg

Had to try this before got too into the modeling. Bit sad really...

@ Wispy

Now I need to make a Bjorn and have him giving a speech on it...

@ Bryan Blaire

Thank you Brother. Freehanding all those company badges again in large print is gonna be the nerve wracking bit.

@ PeteySodes

You were on me about it the instant I finished the Wolf Lords. I had seen these Dais on release and had the thought then just forgot or thought they wouldn't be big enough. I'm in isolation now so might actually get a good run at this thing. Even my wife is giving me tips on this one!