Tanks, falling back and Ultramarine tactics

Rogue

My reading of the Ultramarine chapter tactics is that any unit with the -chapter- keyword can make use of them. Which means that tanks are included in the ‘fall back and still shoot’ thing.

But in various battle reports and discussions, people seem to think not, without explaining why.

Have I missed something, or is this a hang-over from the 7th edition chapter tactics?

Chapter Tactics affect only Infantry, Bikers and Dreadnoughts. It's literally on the same page spread, dude.

It's :cuss ridiculous. Particularly when every non-Space Marine Codex applies its buffs to vehicles.

It is:

If your army is Battle-forged, all INFANTRY, BIKER and DREADNOUGHT units in a Space Marines Detachment gain a Chapter Tactic, so long as every unit

in that Detachment is drawn from the same Chapter

I am not aware of any tank that is an INFANTRY, BIKER or DREADNOUGHT unit.

Oh. Bother. I must have read that bit at some point, but then was just looking at the specific tactics bit, where it says any units with the keyword, without reiterating the exception.

Thanks both for your answers.

At this point in the edition, it's an easy mistake to make. Every other faction's ability effects their vehicles. That chapter tactics don't is just another item in the long litany of Things About The Space Marine Codex That Are *Almost* There But Juuuuuuuuuuuust Barely Not Good Enough.

Having looked at the codex again, I think I may have conflated the Rites of Battle (which does affect tanks, right?) with the chapter tactics that don’t...

I really wish Chapter Tactics worked for everything - I think it would do a lot to make marines more viable, adding some bonuses for units that are completely skipped in current list building. Don't want to get too deep into wishlisting with this, but I think it's the easiest thing to boost marines. 

Our Chapter Tactic would be amazing if the game wasn't such a shootfest. I reckon it'll change soon though as the game is looking like it's more balanced already.

The whole army should be affected though. Why every army doesn't have the same restrictions as us.

Idaho, I must disagree. I own and run two Repulsors regularly.

They are actually my favourite SM vehicle from a visual perspective. They are a funny model in the way that any images are rather unflattering, but on the tabletop they are visually striking and the hover Base is truly excellent. I'll share some pics of my army soon.

The only tank that gives them a run is the Sicaran.

It took a while to grow on me, but I like my Repulsors too.

I sold my first one with the bulk of my UM's. I just bought 2 new ones as I was tired of Proxying the vehicle with Landraiders.

Personally it's almost mandatory in my Primaris lists. They're just a bit too expensive I think.

"Every other faction's ability effects their vehicles."

I hear this quite often - what are come races that fall under this category... for example venoms do not get power from pain saving throws. I know Altioc -1 to hit applies, what else is there that is significant ?

Archived