Upon Wings of Fire new ruling from GW

Xerxus

I suppose this is what we should be looking at? 

'Treat these units as having arrived from reserves' which really is shorthand for 'these units cannot move again for any reason (including Warptime) and counts as having moved for firing heavy weapons.'

It's in the picture under Ork Weirdboyz:

"Using Da Jump, you'll still be able to deliver your favorite infantry unit to the enemy frontlines in the first turn. Like any ability that lets you move an already deployed unit, it's unaffected by the new beta rule."

This includes Upon Wings of Fire since the wording is the same for these abilities.

the sky didnt fall after all

...that is the problem...as Sons of Sanguinius WE ARE THE SKYFALL!

Quoted for truth :P

TBH tho, blood angels are equally known for their jump pack assaults AND for their mechanized assaults.

When you say "us" do you mean 1 detachment in a Guard army?  Like, in one thread you complain about band aid fixes, and how you're regulated to being part of an IG army as allies, but then in another rejoice that you got a band aid fix.  

When you say "us" do you mean 1 detachment in a Guard army?  Like, in one thread you complain about band aid fixes, and how you're regulated to being part of an IG army as allies, but then in another rejoice that you got a band aid fix.  

What are you implying and why the aggressive tone? I was referring to Nick Nanavati's opinion in that comment, get your facts straight. The 4000 pts of Blood Angels and zero guardsmen in my collection is why I'm saying "us".

the sky didnt fall after all

...that is the problem...as Sons of Sanguinius WE ARE THE SKYFALL!

Quoted for truth :tongue.:

TBH tho, blood angels are equally known for their jump pack assaults AND for their mechanized assaults.

Also their Terminator assaults. Actually any kind of assault as long as we can get in the opponents face fast enough and look awesome doing so. :D

I'm happy with this, as we can easily alleviate our issues with Power Level for reserves by deploying the Death Company and Lemartes, using Forlorn Fury on the DC and then UWoF on Lemartes. Those two, with their combined 34 PL, should take care of all other reserves, without resorting to the PL "trick" of adding a guy to each troops squad.

Hardly necessary. Keep it civil please.

Apologies, that did not come out as I intended.  I guess what I'm saying is that people don't really care about the game, they only care about their army being powerful and smashing their opponent.  This FAQ was a great start to reducing the alpha strike arms race (there was more to do) .  We were going to potentially see Bikes, we were going to potentially see Land Speeders, and maybe more Flyers and Land Raiders.  Now with this ruling, we're essentially moving towards MORE soup, where people will take 1-2 BA units knowing that they are one of the few armies that can deep strike turn one, and essentially relegate BA to a Vanguard detachment.

I can’t say how glad I am they took the time to clear this up. I’ve been dealing with rage fire responses over my interpretation, and it’s more than satisfying to know some of us were right. This puts a little bit of life back into our assault oriented armies. I can’t speak for all of you, but now I think I’ll keep my maxed out DC squad deployed normally, along with a supporting character or two. Depending on turn order and opponent I’ll Forlorn Fury the squad and UWoF a character in close. Combined with whatever support elements I have deployed that should be enough against SOME opponents for long enough to make use of a turn 2 strike.

Apologies, that did not come out as I intended.  I guess what I'm saying is that people don't really care about the game, they only care about their army being powerful and smashing their opponent.  This FAQ was a great start to reducing the alpha strike arms race (there was more to do) .  We were going to potentially see Bikes, we were going to potentially see Land Speeders, and maybe more Flyers and Land Raiders.  Now with this ruling, we're essentially moving towards MORE soup, where people will take 1-2 BA units knowing that they are one of the few armies that can deep strike turn one, and essentially relegate BA to a Vanguard detachment.

Well, I agree with you. However, I’d say many of the Imperium and Chaos codices appear to be designed with the intent of playing them with allied factions. The Custodes and GK books jump out as an immediate example. There are a lot of glaring holes that other armies fill pretty seamlessly for us and Chaos. My opinion, take it or leave it, is that we are moving away from a mono-faction game. Every Xenos book comes with their own sets of “chapter tactics” they can mix and match with. Sure, they can’t do it nearly as well as Imperium players can, but they still have options.

This also fits the new narrative they’re creating. Most of the recent BL releases have feature multiple factions working together. I like it. Afterall, we can create our own narratives as we like. I did for my 3 Dawneagle Shield Bros... I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but if more players want to field a detachment of Blood Angels in their lists then I’d say go for it! I enjoy seeing our chapter in the spotlight being used for what we are best at. Maybe it’ll drive us toward getting some updated kits!

I just don’t like to hate on other people for playing this expensive game the way they want to. I’ll add a caveat to all of this and admit that I’ve accepted that if I want to win anything more than a local tournament I won’t be able to play a mono Blood Angels build. I think we need outside support to compete with the tier 1 options out there.

*steps off of soapbox*

Interceptor squads being used more? That's hilarious.

So now instead of multiple units being able to drop in to threaten using Descent of Angels on the one that doesn't get shot to hell with forewarning, with the cost being their jump packs, now I'm limited too a single unit that must start the game deployed (leaving them open to getting shot by LoS ignoring units), still has to purchase those jump packs but also have to spend an additional CP, is somehow still vulnerable to auspex scan/forewarning, and won't have any character support.

Forgive me if I'm not overly escatic here.

It's better than "none at all" but it's a far cry from what we were playing with.

Also, "losing units before you get to use them" while not touching long range alpha strikes is absolutely infuriating.

You do raise a valid point that this is only going to increase Soup lists (because sorry FLG, but most people do not refer to soup as multiple factions in a single detachment) since now people will "have" to take IG for CP mining (I know this was tweaked, but can't recall how) AND a BA list for WoF, AND a x list for y....

Overall I am pleased that WoF will work now, but it does not change my overall opinion (negative) of the Beta rules.

Anyways, some good vibes from this change so I will ride that wave.

Archived