Narrative Rules for a Terminator Detachment, plus Stratagems

Decius

My poor friend built an amazing Deathwing army way back in 4th or 5th edition. 2000 points of terminators and support vehicles, beautifully painted and lovingly put together. As you can expect, they have become purely decorative this edition. This saddens me greatly. Full Terminator armies look great, and our first game of 8th edition was actually his Deathwing Terminators v my Chaos Terminators. Tragically, that was one of the last times we had a good Terminator game.

So for what it is worth, I have made some Narrative Play rules for a Terminator Detachment and Terminator specific Stratagems. I'm hoping they coax my friend into trying out a Terminator list again. It is still only a draft, so tell me what you think.

Terminator Detachment

2-3 HQ

3-6 Elites

0-3 Fast Attack

0-3 Heavy Support

0-2 Flyer

Restrictions: All units must share the same faction keyword and must have either the Terminator Keyword or the Vehicle Keyword.

Command Benefits: +3 Command Points.

All Terminator units in this detachment control objectives even if there are enemy models within range of it. If the enemy unit has a similar ability, then the objective is held by the player with the most models in range as normal.

The Terminator Detachment also gains access to the following Stratagems.

Stratagems

Objective Achieved (0CP)

Play at the end of your turn. If you control 1 or more objective markers, immediately gain 1 Command Point.

Target Destroyed (0CP)

Play after a vehicle, monster, or character is slain by a unit of Terminators. Immediately gain 1 Command Point.

Teleport Attack (1CP each)

At the end of your movement phase, select up to 3 units of Terminators that are in reserves (at a cost of 1CP per unit). If it is Round 1, you may place those units anywhere on the battlefield at least 9” away from enemy models. If it is Round 2 or later, you may place those units anywhere on the battlefield at least 7” away from enemy models. Remember that these models may not Move or Advance this turn once placed, though they may Charge as normal.

Implacable Advance (1CP for 1-5 model units, 2CP for 6+ model units)

At the start of the Movement Phase, select a unit of Terminators. That unit must Advance this turn but may still fire all ranged weapons as if they remained stationary.

Sustained Fire (2CP for 1-5 model units, 3CP for 6+ model units)

Used at the end of the shooting phase. Pick a unit with the Terminator keyword. That unit may immediately shoot again.

Press the Assault (2CP for 1-5 model units, 3CP for 6+ model units)

Used at the end of the fight phase. Pick a unit with the Terminator keyword. That unit may immediately fight again.

Into Enemy Fire! (1CP for 1-5 model units, 2CP for 6+ model units)

Used on a unit with the Terminator keyword before they declare a charge. This unit may add +2 to their charge roll this phase. However, the enemy unit adds +1 to their rolls to hit with Overwatch.

Landraider Assault (1CP)

Used at the end of the movement phase. Select a unit of Terminators that is currently embarked in a Landraider. That unit may immediately disembark even if the Landraider moved, but the disembarking unit must remain at least 9” away from enemy models. The unit may not Move or Advance this turn, though may still Charge as normal.

Castle Formation (1CP)

Used when one of your Terminator units that has been targeted by an enemy shooting attack, including Overwatch. For the rest of the phase, all to-wound rolls against this unit suffer a -1 modifier and the unit adds +1 to their Armour Save rolls. However, this benefit only applies to a unit where each member is in base to base contact with at least 1 other member of the unit. If the unit ceases to comply to this requirement, then the benefit is lost.

Dispersed Formation (1CP)

Used when one of your Terminator units that has been targeted by an enemy shooting attack, including Overwatch. For the rest of the phase, any weapons targeting this Terminator unit that roll a random number of attacks (1d3, 1d6, etc) halve their results, rounding up. However, this only applies to Terminator units of only 1 model or where each member at is least 1” away from any other member of their unit.

Have Faith in your Armour (1CP)

Used whenever a Terminator unit suffered wounds, but before saves are rolled. For the rest of the phase, the unit may re-roll any failed saves it makes for the rest of the phase.

Sounds interesting. I too like terminators very much.

@Land Raider Assault. The >9" restriction makes the stratagem not very attactive. Maybe drop or reduce it.

@Castle Formation: I would reword it like this: "Testudo Formation
Used on one of your Terminator units wholly equipped with storm shields at the beginning of any Shooting, charge or Fight Phase. Until the beginning of the same phase of the next battle round in which it was activated, all to-wound rolls against this unit suffer a -1 modifier and the unit adds +1 to their Armour Save rolls. However, this benefit only applies to a unit where each member is in base to base contact with at least 1 other member of the unit. Should a model be removed as a casualty each remaining model the unit may immediately make a 3" move to remain in base to base contact, otherwise the benefit is lost. charges by this unit when the stratagem is active count as 2" longer than they actually are.

Thanks! I Hope other people see these rules and consider them fun and not overpowered.

I'll look at changing that for Landraider Assault. I was probably being too cautious.

I think the Testudo Formation suggestion is a bit too complex for my taste, but I like the idea of it only applying to Storm Shield units.

I think the Testudo Formation suggestion is a bit too complex for my taste, but I like the idea of it only applying to Storm Shield units.

The idea is not complex, if you find simpler wording go ahead. the idea was, it works for a whole turn against shooting and melee you pay for it by being less likely to make a charge.

Thinking about it again maybe remove the randomness of a charge altogether, due to the methodical advance of the formation. Something like a 5" or 6" charge, less than the average, but guaranteed.

Archived