Lesser-Heralded Cursed Founding Chapters - Info/Scheme-Hunt

Exactly what it says on the tin, gentlemen. For various [inq28-ish] related reasons, we're intent on building a few Fire Hawks, Black Dragons, Flame Falcons, etc. etc. . [timescale for this, in case you were wondering, is set *well  before* the 'present day' - only a millennium and a half or so after the 21st Founding actually took place]

Now while Forge World has thankfully come to the party by detailing the Fire Hawks [and for that matter, Lamenters .. *arguably* also the Minotaurs dependent upon how you interpret things] in the relevant Badab War books, and the Black Dragons have actually managed pretty reasonable levels of exposure in both Index Astartes and novel form ... I can't help but note the complete paucity of information on both the Flame Falcons and Sons of Antaeus [despite the latter still apparently being in active Imperial service right the way through to the close of the 41st Millennium] 

40kWiki lists the colours of the Sons of Antaeus as being black and grey, but obviously nothing more than that in terms of .. well .. anything, really, that might avail one in modelling a Brother of theirs. 

The Flame Falcons are even *less* detailed ... all we know about *them* is that they were (eventually) ON FIRE. [and somewhat confusingly, the Wiki cites the cleansing of Lethe to have taken place at some point in M.41 rather than a "mere century" after their Founding]

It obviously goes iwthout saying hat in neither case do we have 'proper' panoply for them; or even hints of what a chapter badge might look like [i suppose the raptor from the deathwatch sprue might work for the Flame Falcons perhaps?] 

Oh and while there's thankfully enough material out to get a bit of a 'feel' for the pre-Legion of the Damned Fire Hawks , i'm all ears for additional tidbits and modelling advice in their direciton [like an easy way to render their chapter-badge sans greenstuff :P atm I'm looking at the Raven Guard pads from the Deathwatch sprue]. Ditto for the Black Dragons, who're less detailed all up outside a novel i've not really teh time to read. 

So with all that in mind .. anybody got any thoughts, small kernels of inforation, cool headcanon interpretations/miniatures or art they've worked up themselves or found somewehre?

I look forward to your considered opinions!

The only thing I know that might give you some inspiration is that Antaeus, the Greek mythological being, resided in What we would now call North Africa. So perhaps trying to look up some ancient Libyan, Egyptian symbols, icons and aesthetics might help you modelling that particular chapter.

Another twist you could work on is that the original Antaeus couldn’t be defeated as long as he was touching the floor. You could make it an idiosyncrasy of the chapter that they favour land based war at all time and eschew flyers, jump packs etc.

I know it’s not much to go on but hopefully it helps a little.

Mk VI Armor with the Mentor's Birdhead from the Kill Team Box - the bird will face the enemy if it's on the right shoulder and the Beakie helmet will keep with the overall bird theme.

Paint it orange.

That was what came to my mind when I heard Fire Hawks - deathspectersgt7 nailed it 95%!

I' ll keep an eye on this. If I do not turn my DE Primaris into Al in the end, I am considering Death Spectres or the Black Dragons. There is just so little to start from, sadly.

You may want to take a look at my first stab at a Black Dragon, Xin Ceithan :D 

The only thing I know that might give you some inspiration is that Antaeus, the Greek mythological being, resided in What we would now call North Africa. So perhaps trying to look up some ancient Libyan, Egyptian symbols, icons and aesthetics might help you modelling that particular chapter.

Another twist you could work on is that the original Antaeus couldn’t be defeated as long as he was touching the floor. You could make it an idiosyncrasy of the chapter that they favour land based war at all time and eschew flyers, jump packs etc.

I know it’s not much to go on but hopefully it helps a little.

Thanks for advice so far everybody. I'm reasonably well-versed in Indo-European mythologies and the Herculean kernel of inspiration for the Sons of Antaeus' name immediately sprang to mind. But I must confess, i hadn't considered taking it beyond the Greco-Roman Classical-ish aesthetic vibe to actually incorporate elements from the place his myth is situated or their method of engagement - so thanks for that, Mark0sian. The latter kinda sounds like the good ol' 3rd Ed Space Wolves rules concerning nobody other than Blood Claws having jump packs and nobody doing the teleporting thing :D 

I suppose it's also possible that the 'wrestler' motif could be carried on wiht a profusion of double-powerfists and such [something that's now possible thanks to Horus Heresy resin and plastic kits]. And the habit of collecting skulls could uh .. yeah. Hm. Definitely something cool to go on with the Ancient North African vibe, anyway :) 

And for that matter, could broaden it out by incorporating wrestling terms and such from a  variety of other traditions for names and such. 

At least in my head I'd like to think that the Flame Falcons were donning Orange Power armor just due to the lack of any chapter bearing the color.

Krash

Other than, of course, the Knights of Gryphonne, the Angels REdeemed, partially the Celebrants (about the mid-section ) , the greaves on the Fire Lords ((apparently also one greave on Howling Griffons quartered armour for some reason), the Fire Hawks from the same founding,... and, of course, the Tiger Claws (particularly their 'stripey' scheme] :P Also arguably a *particular era* of Blood Angels painting way back in 2nd edition [replete with a paint in the range literally called "Blood Angels Orange" for some  reason]. 

I'm not sure there's ever been an official scheme or description for the Flame Falcons, in any case, but orange could very well be a visually striking one for 'em given the paucity of it on anything else in my 40k collection - so good observation there :D He'd certainly stand out quite nicely in amidst the dark corridors and shadowy-paletted Inquisition and such i've already got going! Now we just have to hope it's not as hard to do as yellow :P Thanks fo rthe suggestion. 

My one Fire Hawk.

Nice work on that FIre Hawk - i take it htat the shoulderpad there is Shapeways or similar?

Mk VI Armor with the Mentor's Birdhead from the Kill Team Box - the bird will face the enemy if it's on the right shoulder and the Beakie helmet will keep with the overall bird theme.

Paint it orange.

That was what came to my mind when I heard Fire Hawks - deathspectersgt7 nailed it 95%!

Legit suggestion. There's a *slight* issue insofar as teh Fire Hawks already canonically have a chapter-badge ... but given the Flame Falcons most definitely *don't*, there's no reason that can't be a starting point for theirs. Only need to justify why the chapter badge is on the right pauldron rather than the left then - for exmple by giving them terminator honour shoulderpads or good ol' studded Mk.VI like you've proposed.

Anyway, thanks for the good ideas, all - and please, by all means, keep 'em coming! I might start on a Fire Hawk to go with my Black Dragon next, since htey've got areasonable mount of detail to 'em already oto help getme started. 

I'm actually planning on a Renegade Chapter that is the remnants of the Flame Falcons that escaped the purge. My backstory is that a single strike cruiser slipped into the Warp and got away.

Unfortunately, they didn't have time to fully activate their Gellar Field and Tzeentch had a field day amplifying their mutation.

Should be fun to model.

I'm actually planning on a Renegade Chapter that is the remnants of the Flame Falcons that escaped the purge. My backstory is that a single strike cruiser slipped into the Warp and got away.

Unfortunately, they didn't have time to fully activate their Gellar Field and Tzeentch had a field day amplifying their mutation.

Should be fun to model.

Well it certainly synergizes with their extant symbolism of birds and flames... :P

• 3 weeks later...

Should be fun to model.

Ooooo. That sounds like fun to write about. Depending on how it comes out, I could do some serializaed shorts if you're willing.

Should be fun to model.

Ooooo. That sounds like fun to write about. Depending on how it comes out, I could do some serializaed shorts if you're willing.

Knock yourself out.

The name I had planned for them is The Immolated. Their color scheme is basically bare metal with scorch marks and a few vestiges of their original color scheme (orange).

They'll be led by a Chaos Lord on Bike that is essentially Ghost Rider (his chain will count as The Black Mace).

They refuse to accept that they've been turned and still see themselves as doing the Emperor's work.

Archived