Turn 1 elegant solution (?) Feedback please.

STTAB

With the big FAQ attempting to fix a form of alpha striking as the rules team don't want to see games decided turn 1.

I just thought of quite an elegant and tactical solution.

Universal stratagem. 1cp.

"This stratagem must be used before turn 1. Select a charachter to provide a -1 to hit bubble during turn 1 for units within 6". Friendly units within this bubble also suffer a -1 to hit. This character may not move during turn 1 and if a unit leaves the bubble, the effect is lost for that unit."

Less stuff dies on turn 1 and the balance between going 1st or second is a bit more balanced because;

This stratagem is stronger for the player going second as they can be protected, then move out of the bubble to lose their -1 in their first turn, encouraging movement.

This is less useful for a static gunline, especially if they have first turn as they get a -1 to hit at them and from them. but very useful for a mobile or assaulty army going second.

As well as the CP cost, not moving a charachter is a tax as the -1 is the same size as most charachter bubbles.

I think this is an elegant way to give an option to be more survivable turn 1 which has more advantage to the player going second if it is not a static gunline.

What d'ya think? I'm sure there are plenty of unintended consequence to such a universal stratagem.

Archived