Wispy's Wolves - 2/10/19 - Grey Slayers

Wispy

unfortunately, i misplaced the canopy for this kit and had to fashion my own from plasticard. it was stored the kit in my closet for almost two years and was plundering it for bits constantly... guess i misplaced the canopy along the way.

Looks great Wispy. That’s a great solution to the canopy going missing. Love the knotwork. The pilot makes a good iron Priest if he’s around anywhere. Glad your making progress, looking forward to seeing more.

While on the subject do you mind sharing how you do those details. I'm looking at the gold details in particular. The knot work and the wolf that looks like a seahorse (i can't remember right now what thats called).

Looks amazing, saw these on FB, but came here to comment.

The gold detailing is from the Legion Space Wolves transfer sheet FW have done. The gold seahorse is a Void Wolf symbol.

Oh yeah, those are forge world heresy transfers. I love the gold transfer against the grey and it helps me keep the 40k/30k mix of my collection ambigious (so i can display them together but use them interchangable on the table top).

(Assuming your talking to me). I haven’t done much vehicles for my Wolves. The large blank spaces are daunting. So trying to learn from you guys how to keep them interesting.

I have a Stormwolf/fang. Probably will paint it Seawolves (eventually). As it makes most sense in my mind for them to have it. The void wolf would be great for that. Not only looking a bit like a sea horse but also representing crossing the Star Sea which they are also known for. Just had an idea, maybe more Sea trophies on it. The later-base is growing.

(Assuming your talking to me). I haven’t done much vehicles for my Wolves. The large blank spaces are daunting. So trying to learn from you guys how to keep them interesting.

I have a Stormwolf/fang. Probably will paint it Seawolves (eventually). As it makes most sense in my mind for them to have it. The void wolf would be great for that. Not only looking a bit like a sea horse but also representing crossing the Star Sea which they are also known for. Just had an idea, maybe more Sea trophies on it. The later-base is growing.

The Void wolf symbol was an honour mark handed to units/ vehicles with a recognised speciality in void combat, for example in 30K it would be units like breachers.

It is a cool design.

Wiispy the canopy is awesome, almost like a blast shield to protect the pilot on re-entry to a planets atmosphere :) A simple elegant solution. Is it the same canopy as on the storm talon kit?

No, i made it from plasticard.

I appreciate the kind comments but It's really a less simple then i hoped for, honestly. The middle piece was easy, but I couldn't get the measure the lengths/angles right to cut the side panels (which are a wacky angled quadrilateral shape). I ended up hollowing out the whole cockpit and boarding up the empty windows from beneath (so the stormfang frame could hide too-big plasticard pieces).

No, i made it from plasticard.

I appreciate the kind comments but It's really a less simple then i hoped for, honestly. The middle piece was easy, but I couldn't get the measure the lengths/angles right to cut the side panels (which are a wacky angled quadrilateral shape). I ended up hollowing out the whole cockpit and boarding up the empty windows from beneath (so the stormfang frame could hide too-big plasticard pieces).

I meant on the original model, does it use the same canopy cover as the storm talon?

• 3 weeks later...

Wispy your stuff looks great. You have gotten even better since last time I've seen you post stuff.

How do you paint your gold?

...i have gotten better! Thank you! I'm very happy where my skill is these days, and the quality with my new stuff vs my old stuff is actually driving me nuts. I don't want to throw out my old stuff but it bothers me that none of troops are up to par anymore... But i dont want to paint 30 greyhunters again, either!

For gold, i just use those age of sigmar paints. Retributor Armour Base, Followed by a layer of Liberator gold. I hit it with earthshade wash and then edge highlight it with rune fang steel

Now I don't want you to think your other stuff was bad. I really liked the previous stuff you have posted. This is next level stuff. Let's see some more.

You're using citadel paints for your grey right? Do you do a layer of nuln oil over dawnstone and then another layer of dawnstone? Maybe it would be easier to ask how you do your grey. I can't tell if it's just the picture or if you're doing some shading. Like on your primaris character (3rd pic overall) the grey on the shading/layering on the left side of his breastplate and his left leg looks really good (on our right). It's subtle but fantastic. I wanna know how you did that so I can take my painting to the next level too. Or if I just need to buy a camera that does it for me :D

Wispy,

I have to mimic what the others have said before me. It's always inspiring to see your army!! I love the color scheme, and your style is very clean. I've probably said that before. Maybe twice. It still stands true!!

It maybe too late, but, like you I also lost the canopy to mine - so I reached out to GW and got another one. About a month later I found the one I had lost. Turns out the cat thought it would be of better use as something to knock onto the floor, pat around and then lodge as far back as possible underneath the couch... If you need it, it's yours. LMK

End of Line

Sorry to disapoint Dan... I try to keep my armour panels a flat grey by design and to keep the nul oil to the recesses. Probably a trick of the light... Sometimes the nul oil bleeds and it leaves a good looking gradient and i will leave it.

Archived