Wispy's Wolves - 2/10/19 - Grey Slayers

Wispy

Thank you Horrible Person!

I'm finishing up a stormwolf next and the experience is ugh. This model has some history - i got it when it was just released and my build and paintjob of it got really messy. It was the first time I painted a model that big and i had a nightmare time with it. Glue stains were a thing and the paint went on super thick to the point it became textured. Worse it took six months to actually finish, starting and stopping because i hated tbe damn thing. When i finished, it was the worst painted model in my collection.

Having finished the stormfang recently and having it turn out so well, i decided i would give the stormwolf another go and strip it down.

Once I stripped it, I ended up pulling it a part and replacing a number of the components with doubles i had leftover from the stormfang kit.

I'm well into the painting amd its going much better but i am just so fatigued with doing 2 flyers back to back. my goal is to finish it before the new codex hits & I'm probably on track but tbh honest i was hoping to be done two weeks ago.

It also gave me a chance to swap the meltaguns for some skyhammer launchers. The meltagun array is so expensive i could never afford to take one. The skyhammer launcher is nice balance point wise, with good utility.

This stormwolf is going down :cussing fighting. Ugh. You'd think it was alive and fighting me. Like bathing and grooming a cat.

Finishing touches have been stressful, plus It has model issues from the original assembly, unfortunately. You cant tell unless you flip it upside and examine it closely however.

Otherwise, once i finish my touch ups it shouldn't look out of place in my collection. Probably on par with the stormfang i posted recently... Only i know what makes the stormfang better, & that irritates me.

the beast itself. now that it's all done and laid out, i'm feeling much more happy with it. there was less real estate for knotwork decals, so i split one in half and put them on the wings. turned out okay.

Mo0ikAk.jpg

4Jfy0wJ.jpg

also stopped to snap some photography of my razorbacks. like the stormwolf, they are older models but i did a refurb a little while ago to clean them up.

4V2s33x.jpg

mn2dHZM.jpg

FWByTes.jpg

They look great

The only critique I have is the decal on the las/plas razorback.

Not sure if you gloss varnished the area before applying the decal, as there is a little 'silvering' around the edges, but it might benefit from a gloss varnish coat followed by a matte varnish to help it blend in a little more

Beyond that, really nice work 

They look great

The only critique I have is the decal on the las/plas razorback.

Not sure if you gloss varnished the area before applying the decal, as there is a little 'silvering' around the edges, but it might benefit from a gloss varnish coat followed by a matte varnish to help it blend in a little more

Beyond that, really nice work 

yeah, it's an older model, from a time when i was more inexperienced with painting and you could actually buy deathwolves decals. i'm not sure what can be done about it at this point - it's been glossed and varnished a few times already. i imagine i might as well just paint over it and free hand a new great company badge at this point.

DONE! 

SAzCohF.jpg

opXXmZY.jpg

this model was special because not only he is the last in backlog, it marks an end to an era. from here on out, I'm buying my own models like a sucker.

Also now that he's finished, I can pose them in a shield wall! Behold, the Glacier that Treads!

PylQp9v.jpg

And with that... I'm out of models. My backlog is empty, I got nothing i left to paint, at least until grey slayers and LCTB dready arrive in the mail.

Heck yea dude those look slick! Im usually not a fan of the SW contemptor but you do that thing justice for sure! I hope to have 3 dreads done as well by the end of the ETL., they're just so damn fun to use!

Im about to start painting my WG I made using a lot of the shield grey slayer kit, I think you'll love them. The sculpts are so awesome I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them! 

Aw thanks! Yeah, I see what people say about the wolves contemptor. It's a little plain in most respects, but it has neat knot work going and - what i'm really taken with - his helmet. It has the visor around the eyes that give it the appearance of a viking era Gjermundbu helmet. Ever since i saw it i wanted to combine it with the axe and shield and do a mega viking dread

These look great Wispy,

I can't see myself ever joining that club, the ever increasing grey tide of plastic will not abate. How about you Dante you must be getting close now? :wink:

Ah Hels teeth, I am nowhere close. Even after selling off over 100 SW models on ebay.... Got another 40 models or so models on order, plus a huge chunk of what is here and everything not in this pic, so I am nowhere near close

28861322368_ec9dca2498_o.jpgthumbnail (84) by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

I'd say about 50% of the way to completion if that.

Archived