Wispy's Wolves - 2/10/19 - Grey Slayers

Wispy

As KDC said you have a totally recognizable style, it’s super awesome. I’d love to see full force of yours on the table! What’s next?

ya when i see you guys posting space wolves images on FB that i recognize from here i have to resist the urge to go hey!

Aw, thanks! I don't mind if you say hey. 

Hey mind sharing your frost claw recipe?

It's kind of organic process. i tend to start with blue base and do escalating highlights, thick highlights into fine highlights, going from  blue into baby blue into pure white. the secret ingredient is coelia greenshade (which is not quite green and not quite blue) which I used to blend everything after I've painted it. after I do that, i pick up the highest edges again with white again. sometimes I repeat the process with a watered down coelia and re-do the whitest highlights one last time and tweak it until it looks right.

As KDC said you have a totally recognizable style, it’s super awesome. I’d love to see full force of yours on the table! What’s next?

aw, thanks. High praise from you Petey, as your own stuff is waaaay more impressive then mine. 

As for what's next? well, I have a pile of stuff ready to paint pictured here: https://i.imgur.com/QmNRnQ9.jpg

I think I'm going to finish the Wolf Priest first, then probably the Long Fangs. Grey Slayers/Hunters after that and then the Shield Bros last. I got an assembled Dreadnought waiting for me after that.

What I'd really like to be working on is Primaris, though. I make it no secret that I'm in love with their look and I really want to convert some into Space Wolves! it's why I've made a a big push lately is basically the close out my old stuff and add some missing elements to my collection (namely Blood Claws and Long fangs). Gotta tidy up the past and present before moving on to the new hotness!

Just finished my Gamesday Wolf Priest (aka Sternhammer)

0GnsS5z.jpg

Also, took some shots of my Njal. I made my own because too cheap to ever pay for my terminator armour but I hate Njal's power armour model. I carved up terminator Njal's torso and combined the rest of his bits with parts from the Greyhunter Wolf Standard model. 

AfqrDkN.jpg

PnLLHpD.jpg

closer shot on his Nightwing + Banner. I used to use this as a Chooser of the Slain marker back in 5th, but that's not a thing anymore. 

iJgnCXx.jpg

Last, took a photo of my Iron Priest, Henrik Goldfang.

g9rxIJV.jpg

I also wanted to get a better shot of Niklas the Headman, but my camera isn't really cooperating.

Nz3ABVc.jpg

Damn Wispy... I think we have a weird brainwave sync or something. First the bjorn banner and now the name "goldfang" on an iron priest. I was thinking of it for his mount mind you but still. Crazy!

Everything's looking awesome! It's great you're keeping up the momentum from ETL. Whats on deck?

Super impressed with Njal and the headsman. Can I ask from a game perspective why you prefer power armour over terminator?

Haven't played Njal since 3rd edition so I'm a lil rusty.

I'm a cheap ass. When I built the model I was running a Wyrdstorm Brotherhood (4 Rune Priest formation), so taking him in power armour was a nice way to keep the points down.

Damn Wispy... I think we have a weird brainwave sync or something. First the bjorn banner and now the name "goldfang" on an iron priest. I was thinking of it for his mount mind you but still. Crazy!

Everything's looking awesome! It's great you're keeping up the momentum from ETL. Whats on deck?

Hahah, no way! I figured Goldfang it'd be a good name because I painted his servo arm gold. I tacked Henrik on front, the name of my favourite hockey player, Henrik Sedin (of Sedin twin fame)

i didn't actually do the ETL. it's committing - if i can't paint at my own pace the whole thing becomes super miserable. i know that sounds strange as I am quite productive.

Doing some re-work on couple Blood Claws and my Lone Wolf next. I wasn't happy with my Lone Wolf's shield so I swapped it with a Grey Slayer shield.

Hahah, no way! I figured Goldfang it'd be a good name because I painted his servo arm gold. I tacked Henrik on front, the name of my favourite hockey player, Henrik Sedin (of Sedin twin fame)

i didn't actually do the ETL. it's committing - if i can't paint at my own pace the whole thing becomes super miserable. i know that sounds strange as I am quite productive.

Doing some re-work on couple Blood Claws and my Lone Wolf next. I wasn't happy with my Lone Wolf's shield so I swapped it with a Grey Slayer shield.

No I totally get it, for me I have to straddle keeping a fire under me and not making it seem like work. I think I assumed you joined because i kept seeing updates haha.

But yea its a sweet name! I got crap from a friend that his wolf wasnt bionic enough so i promised metal teeth and figured gold teeth would look pretty badass on that model! We'll see if it sticks. I dont want him to look like a soundcloud rapper. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bloodclaws!

031yFYV.jpg

The unit is comprised by a trio of older models I had refurbished (the final 3 that I had remaining) plus a brand spanking new squad leader I built and painted to round them out. I threw an older Wolf Guard pack leader model with a powerfist to bump the squad number to five, though it's still one Bloodclaw short from being table top legal (but I plan to add 5 more Bloodclaws in the future, so that's okay).

I take some close up shots of the ones I particularly liked. I really wanted to use the Conan head on the model and I painted him appropriately (some say its a He-Man head and I say shove it, it's Conan). 

KAaoE4N.jpg

I had a lot of fan with the red-and-yellow pack markings. I was little bored with black-and-red.

Db2cn4t.jpg

JE9WZ6e.jpg

My Squad leader, Tormund Ulfhedin, a Berserker borne. In my head this guy is a straight up killing machine, pure fury and rage. His gear is a bit fancy for a Bloodclaw, so my lore for him is that he performed a deed that SHOULD have got him inducted into Harald's Wolf Guard, but because he's still so raw and prone to berseking, the responsibility would be too much, too soon. So Harald was rewarded with fancy armour instead.

wDE6qPr.jpg

Y0NwZx0.jpg

XSqLdd0.jpg

V4Tu2Sk.jpg

Last but not least, I re-did the shield army on my Lone Wolf, Einar. I used a Wulfen shield and a shapeway shoulder pad, but both those elements just looked... not-good. So I swapped them with some Greyslayers bits!

gYSBJXR.jpg

still bitter how garbage the shapeways pad were. the free handed shoulder looks tons better.

lxvTzx5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Snagged the Forge World Dreadnought just before it went out of print. 

s1V1Xsa.jpg

I wasn't sure about doing orange on one side and blue on the other, i was worried it'd be unbalanced, but i ended up liking the contrast. if it bother me later i'll swap the plasma for a helfrost cannon, i guess.

mWSn23a.jpg

it isn't the first time I've painted this particular model... my first crack at it is was in 2010...

SOHkqIY.jpg

"You're replacing me! And tossing me in the trash! Whaaat! "

I was hoping the photos would should more of a visible difference in my painting after 8 years... I did some touching up on the older model a couple times though, so I suppose that masks the progress.

I don't normally take photos of unpainted models, but I had a lot of fun putting together the Tooth and Claw kit and wolfing up the models.

UZnyqBD.jpg

the dreadnought pelt front , i found it sits perfectly on the aggressor shoulder pads.

D9Q4FYg.jpg

3TqR1UC.jpg

so cool

Lo8kS5W.jpg

olwG42p.jpg 

cbqjClk.jpg

Q58AbJR.jpg

Got good use out the Forgeworld Greyslayer bits. i've been using the axes as equivalents to the belt knives, so they don't count as anything but give the squad a Fenrisian ferocity.

Forgeworld dread looks really nice (both of them). Good choice on the orange, your right helfrost can be blue, plasma should be different. I’ve mentioned your grey paint scheme before, I really like it. I’ve only just noticed the grey on the base, that’s a great touch and really works for your army,

I’m interested in your Wolfing up of the Primaris. One of my concerns with them is their relative plainness compared to other space wolves (not yours btw but how they are sold). Two of my friends have bought and split Tooth and Claw, neither one collects Space Wolves so I’ve ended up with the Lieutenant, upgrade pack and the aggressors (they already have aggressors). I haven’t put them together yet but really appreciate what you’ve done with yours.

Your redemptive is fab. Great stuff all round!

I have to ask, how did you do the claw on the Redemptor? I absolutely love that use of it and really want to recreate it.

take the great wolf claw bits from the venerable dreadnought kit and glue them to the redemptors finger tips (trim the base of the claws and the tips of the fingers, it'll glue easier)

Forgeworld dread looks really nice (both of them). Good choice on the orange, your right helfrost can be blue, plasma should be different. I’ve mentioned your grey paint scheme before, I really like it. I’ve only just noticed the grey on the base, that’s a great touch and really works for your army,

I’m interested in your Wolfing up of the Primaris. One of my concerns with them is their relative plainness compared to other space wolves (not yours btw but how they are sold). Two of my friends have bought and split Tooth and Claw, neither one collects Space Wolves so I’ve ended up with the Lieutenant, upgrade pack and the aggressors (they already have aggressors). I haven’t put them together yet but really appreciate what you’ve done with yours.

Your redemptive is fab. Great stuff all round!

aw thanks, man!

i had such a good time wolfing up the redemptor that when i got the aggressors and intercessors i wanted to give them the same treatment . yeah, primaris are plain, but at least they're not covered in codex crap like laurels or satin ropes or bath towels around their wastes - clashing iconography. I'ts easy to just do a head swap, add wolf bling (of which all our kits have a lot of), and call it a day.

Archived