Wispy's Wolves - 2/10/19 - Grey Slayers

Wispy

So I did this over-paint on my tablet awhile ago to figure out how I can paint these Grey Slayers to do double duty as 40k Greyhunters also. I decided I would do a detachable banner on the Huscarl that singled the unit's 40k Great Company that I'd remove if my models are in a 30k game (or arranged in a 30k display). One of their shoulder pads would have pack markings and the other would do the studded shoulder.

NuAln4y.jpg

I still want to do 5 Grey Slayers with shields, however, and those guys obviously can't be Greyhunters, so I 'd make them Wolf Guard instead. The question... whose Wolf Guard? I feel like I was leaning to Logan Grimnar's Great Company instead of Harald's, as I feel like I'm stretching Harald's credibility as a cavalry guy if I have another unit of unmounted WG running around. I already have Logan on Stormrider painted in my army, his War Council, and the Dreadnoughts and Rune Priests are assigned from his company anyway. Plus I still want to add some terminators at some point, so it makes sense to go Logan with them, too.

What do yo guys think?

Logan's Company sounds more sensible, going by your wishes. It will look great and it could also explain their old, honorable and highly revered Armors and Weapons.

If you DO use them in a game with Harald, they are seconded to him to secure a mission objective, save a trapped brother, protect a flank or bodyguard a Rune/Iron/Wolf Priest that aides Harald's Company. Easy Explanation.

omg i found something to work on. i was going stir crazy, so i was going through my bitz bags with the intention of kitbashing something and found this guy. 

cJJLnBY.png

forgot i owned him. i got him at an auction a couple years ago, but he got de-prioritised  in favour of models i was picking up through work (which were, uh, severely, severely discounted, but came with the obligation and expectation that you assemble and paint them before you could take anymore).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So my painting has come along way in the last 5 years, and one of my regrets stuff previous doesn't quite measure up. I'm pretty sure I have some minor obsesive-compulsive that's undiagnosed and my armies disparate painting quality drives me nuts.

With that in mind, a big effort of mine in the last 6 months was to touch up older models and bring them in line and raise them up to a base level quality. I've also retired and replaced models i believe to be a lost cause. Mostly its been easy work - go back and paint rivets, re-touching highlights so they're thinner and erasing them when i put them a wierd places. Sometimes its more dramatic where i'm replacing weapons are parts. And sometimes i just decide to retire a model and replace it with my new one, or abandon it entirerly.

In the last 6 months alone I've touched up 6 thunderwolves and changed their weapons, replaced harald and a dreadnought, refurbished 3 rhinos, re-did my stormwolf... And i also tossed a vindicator, 2 landspeeders, and a rhino, all deemed unsalvgeable (usually due to glue and build issues)

However one thing i promised to do is leave my infantry alone. 30 Greyhunters, lots of work required that I didn't want to think about... I figured i would roll into Primaris next, but it seemed wrong to abandon my infantey for the new hotness with the state it was in.

And then i ran out off things to paint.

So i came up with a plan.

1. I'd select 15 Greyhunters for updates. This includes repaints, bits and weapon swaps, making sure every model had the right wargear.

One goal was to ensure the model was always representing a bolter and a chainsword (or appropiately scaled ccw).

I'm working on the last 5 guys with this group and am very happy with how they're turning out.cant wait to show the end result. Here's a quick preview:

smvx5QS.jpg

The dude on the left was done. He used to be a Mark of the Wulfen model but he has found new life as plasma gunner.

2. its always bothered my my collection has no long fangs or bloodclaws... With that in mind, i wanted to select 5 Greyhunters to be converted to Bloodclaws. However i was only to come up with 3, unfortunately. My plan is get an Assault Marines box in the future and round this group out.

2. retire my very firt 1st squad of Greyhunters. I tried updating one of the models and its just too much work to do 9 more times.

3. Add 5 Greyslayers/Greyhunters using the Forgeworld bundle. I planned on painting a squad of these guys anyways,and it lets me get my Greyhunters up to 20 strong after axing 15 of them.

4. Add 5 long fangs. Thanks to some trades with my buddy, these guys are assembled and waiting paint!

Once this is done, my old models wont look out of place and there will be new troops and infantry to carry the quality bar (as opposed to one mass of blandly painted models).

You're a skilled modeler. I like the war paint on the plasmagun-wielding Long Fang's face.

Thanks! He used to be a Mark of the Wulfen model, but i figured the model had the same kind of crazy to be a plasma gunner.

Here we go, the Greyhunter re-works I was talking up. It was a lot more work than I thought!

First up are Niklas the Headsman and his pack! He's called the headsman because he's the leader and also he removes people's heads from their neck!

cenZ5o7.jpg

mqE7r6y.jpg

Nikas is of course the executioner dude in the middle. His model was the one I'm most pumped about and the one I gave the most updates in... Once I was done removing all his yucky pieces he was basically just legs and a torso. He kind of came together accidentally.... I tried adding Krom's arms too him and it resulted in a bit of an unusual pose. I had the leftover haft of an Iron Priest hammer, so I turned it into an axe, and then inspiration struck and I added the Grey Slayer hood and a severed head from a Grey Knight kit to complete the look.

Next we have this fun little squad of veteran Grey Hunters. They're a five-man strong pack... I kind of imagine them as Greyhunters on the verge of longfang promotion. I'm still feeling pretty clever with that plasma gun conversion.

d1WM207.jpg

Pretty happy that all the Greyhunters have their bolters and their melee weapons. Every guy who doesn't have a chainsword in his hands has one hanging from his back. Even the dude with his hands on hips has all his gear buckled to his belt.

Okay, big image dump catching up. I went through my collection and caught up on my photography.

I've posted my Bjorn before, but I recently got a Forgeworld Venerable on LCTB. I can't stand other dreadnoughts outshining Bjorn, so I gave him the banner. Freehand turned out pretty good - not my best but it does the job well enough.

ngrdq9N.jpg

Next up: Harald Deathwolf, the master of my Great Company! I bought and painted a new Harald just this last year. My old one and just seen too much wear and tear and had a bad habit of having his leg snap off the base. 

vqhb3Hc.jpg

gWleiUL.jpg

yCfHsGz.jpg

eBI8Kj1.jpg

Just a simple head swap and backpack swap for him. The helmet gives him more presence among his riders, who are all helmetless. Speaking of...

The Riders of Morkai!

qphU9yS.jpg

OSHAeAi.jpg

hmVn8wn.jpg

T7fN1ML.jpg

Logan isn't about to be left in the dust either

XcJ0TKB.jpg

Oh, hey some Wulfen, my infamous 'Conan-Wolverines.'

GvCgYS0.jpg

sRv3iME.jpg 

and lets not forget the biggest, dadliest wulfen of them all

WxcVU3L.jpg

These are very cool Wispy. Thanks for putting them up. You’ve got a definite style which is really great to see.

Your reworked grey hunters look the part. Plasma gun and ‘unarmed guy’ are great.

I think I remember the exact moment you decided to put the banner on Bjorn ha! He looks awesome.

The white is really striking, you’ve used it a bunch. Particularly Logan’s hair and the white wolves on the sled.

Great army.

hey everyone, sorry about the image dimensions. just browsed the thread on my desktop and they were humongous. i've gone and replaced them with smaller images.

sorry again for any broken h-scrolls and thanks for the kind words. :smile.:

As KDC said you have a totally recognizable style, it’s super awesome. I’d love to see full force of yours on the table! What’s next?

ya when i see you guys posting space wolves images on FB that i recognize from here i have to resist the urge to go hey!

Archived