Wispy's Wolves - 2/10/19 - Grey Slayers

Wispy

ONE MORE THING

I went back up and replaced the knot work decal on my Redemptor, so it went border to border.

q7tzSGm.jpg

This is what it looked like before

Having the full pattern edge to edge makes me a lot happier.

took a back side shot, too.

LX6XibD.jpg

the rune on the last knuckle is an R, spelling 'TOR' (another name for Thor).

hmmm.

you just gave me an idea.

on whatever weaponj I choose for my redeptor I think I'll put half the Dreadnaught axe beneath it.

its awesome

That redemptor looks amazing along with everything else. 

The knot work, where did you get the decals?

Forge World legion transfer. 

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-CA/FW-Space-Wolves-Transfer-Sheet

Those look gorgeous.

I've always done plasma orange, mostly because I already do a grey blue SW paint job and I like the way orange stands out. What's your orange receipe? It's much better than mine.

aw man, i went to go look for the youtube tutorial i was using and the dude's channel vanished. I'll try to recap - it's a pretty easy recipe and it mostly uses drybrushing. 

1. base is mephiston red

2. drybrush with troll slayer orang

3. another drybrush with yriel yellow, focusing on the upper part of the plasma coils, on the corners.

4. I like tighten up my drybrush with the yellow yriel by painting it on, but the tutorial doesn't actually require it.

4. choose an area of the gun to be a 'hot spot' where the yellow is most concentrated - typically at the center of the gun - you'll be doing a quick dot of white on each coil you want to make it look like its burning hottest.

try to do the glow before you paint the rest of the  gun.

yeah, primaris are plain, but at least they're not covered in codex crap like laurels or satin ropes or bath towels around their wastes - clashing iconography. I'ts easy to just do a head swap, add wolf bling (of which all our kits have a lot of), and call it a day.

You make an excellent point about not having clashing iconography. I never thought of it that way. I've stubbornly not got into Primaris at all yet but each tiny thing like this is drawing me closer and closer to me giving it a go one day. I'm reading the second book in the Space Woles omibus right now and it's actually the accounts of regular Space Marines that tempt me to use Primaris on the table as they are more representative of the Space Marines in the books. Proper super soldiers. Maybe a truescale version using Primaris parts will tempt me over the line. Your redemptor is a very tempting prospect (such an excellent conversion it makes me want to copy it wholesale). Couple him (or Aggressors) with Chooser of the slain to solve my getting charged by a million genestealers every game problems.

yeah, primaris are plain, but at least they're not covered in codex crap like laurels or satin ropes or bath towels around their wastes - clashing iconography. I'ts easy to just do a head swap, add wolf bling (of which all our kits have a lot of), and call it a day.

You make an excellent point about not having clashing iconography. I never thought of it that way. I've stubbornly not got into Primaris at all yet but each tiny thing like this is drawing me closer and closer to me giving it a go one day. I'm reading the second book in the Space Woles omibus right now and it's actually the accounts of regular Space Marines that tempt me to use Primaris on the table as they are more representative of the Space Marines in the books. Proper super soldiers. Maybe a truescale version using Primaris parts will tempt me over the line. Your redemptor is a very tempting prospect (such an excellent conversion it makes me want to copy it wholesale). Couple him (or Aggressors) with Chooser of the slain to solve my getting charged by a million genestealers every game problems.

i think a lot of people are stubborn with primaris.  myself, well, i don't ask a lot out of my marines, only that they stay current with the latest fenrisian fashion trends, and was a little discouraged by the variety on the upgrade sprue. still, i saw some real cool conversion on instagram by the2pspodcast convinced me they can look wolfy without a lot of effort using bits already in the model line.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkchdYVnuZ5/?taken-by=the2pspodcast

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkchN5DHYJ-/?taken-by=the2pspodcast

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj1yRvkDEyN/?taken-by=the2pspodcast

1 of each unit type, minimum sized squads is my plan, no more than that... i'll add more when the Wolf specific primaris options are a thing, and when that happens the ones i have now won't look out of place. :smile.:

also dude, if you want to copy my redemptor conversion (or do something similar), go right ahead. not like i did anything revolutionary with him, just mixed bits in an obvious way - head bits where the head would go, arm pelt on the arm, loin pelt on the, uh, loins.

I WAS probably the first person to do that particular claw conversion, though, and I'm happy to see it everywhere now.

speaking of orange plasma, here's a test model I just completed for my Long Fangs!

98x1efu.jpg

V2WyVr2.jpg

nhu2vO0.jpg

24Nv1gx.jpg

I'm experimenting with a conservative amount of wolf bling -  just 4 or 5 bits per a model. My bits box is going dry and trying to do more with less is pretty fun.

• 4 months later...

Archived