Your favorite works, by author

Roomsky

Well, many Forumites/Forumettes (assuming their are women here) decided that short stories and novellas are their favorite works by certain authors. And also, the thread said "works", and didn't specify that it only had to be novels.

So, I, as a Forumite decided that "The Iron Within" is my favorite work of Rob Sanders.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/021/665/DpQ9YJl.jpg

Novels and Novellas only, short stories deserve a thread to themselves

In all seriousness, don't worry about it Manchu, Iron Within is a good little short. I personally also like Echoes of the Long War (despite it being out of place in Heresy-era), Sanders is at his best with factions where you can really dig deep into their trappings.

Here's my last few:

Aaron-Dembski Bowden: The First Heretic
I tried to convince myself this should be anything else, I promise. Talon of Horus was close to topping this, but nothing beets the sheer artistry of it. It's a 40k book that's genuinely about something, about humanity and the need for devotion. It created a major player for the traitor legions who wasn't one of the ruinous four. It handled the fall of a primarch in 500 pages more believably than Horus was in 1200. It somehow gave us the best appearance of Corax, and the guy only had a bit part. I will never stop praising this book, it is a masterpiece.

Josh Reynolds: Fulgrim: The Palatine Phoenix
This book needed to be entertaining, sympathetic, and enlightning all in a tiny page count, and Reynolds pulled it off with aplomb. Everything that made Fulgrim who he was is on display here, an understandable portrayal of his colossal but ultimately well-intentioned arrogance. Bonus points for Fabius, coming across as both a foil to his legion at large (still stubborn and prideful, but morose instead of bombastic), and as a believable prequel to his later appearances is the solo series as well as the Heresy proper.

Matthew Farrer: Legacy
Choosing between this and Crossfire (haven't got to Blind yet) felt like tearing off my own arm. Legacy wins out for having the breathing room afforded by not having to introduce the micro-setting, and for just having one of the most 40k plots I've ever read. This book is gruesome, terrifying, sad, and occasionally funny, and I always like me a good complexity-addiction. Shira takes something of a back seat, but you never stop rooting for her as she butts heads with a good six disparate parties in what should be a simple passing of an artifact. 

Mr. Roomsky.....  Eh!

Too further add on the much loved Steve Parker's Deathwatch.  Has anyone read the short stories Headhunted and Exhumed?  They basically continue the story of our stars of "Talon squad", as their careers in the Deathwatch chapters goes on and they face other xenos foes.  Good stuff lads.    

For what it's worth, "Legacy" is my favourite novel.

Not of Matt Farrer's.

Nor of BL/40k.

But all novels.

It does some stunning and languid stuff. It's slow, ponderous, but carries a crushing seriousness *and* futility through the book.

It's utterly gorgeous.

That it's almost purely domestic and so far away from "action", yet also undeniably 40k in the purest sense... I feel like there's essays and dissertations and PhD theses out there waiting to come into being off the back of it.

----

And since short stories are *obviously* fair game, despite these so-called "rules", I'll note that "Seven Views of Uhlguth's Passing" is amongst the finest and most vividly creative stories going.

Highly recommended, though I suspect that others will find "The Masters, Bidding" is a bit more accessible for most folks' taste. (I love it too, but Seven Views is more my thing.)

I agree Legacy is a sublime book (and only short...would be classed as a "short novel" these days) but for me Blind edges it. Would love it if Farrer did more of these type of domestic40k books. Actually would just love Farrer to write more BL novels.

Actually I just hope we get the book formally known as Urdesh in the formally branded Space Marine Battles series soon (assume it is delayed to ensure it covers the timeline/events for both The Warmaster AND Anarch now so needs Abnett to finish the latter to ensure alignment).

Thank you Brothers Roomsky and Xisor for reminding me of.....

Matthew Farrer - Legacy

Count me in on your list as a favorite. This was structurally the best of the Shira Calpurnia series and most satisfying (all were excellent though). It's been so long (over a decade) since I've read it, so forgive me for not remembering a lot of detail. I do recall it as a story that slowly unraveled the horror of the situation involving the heir to a powerful and truly ancient rogue trader family. Wonderful (and horrible) characters, ancient (and equally horrible) traditions, were just a few of the fine points that made this well written mystery/thriller memorable. I felt sorry for poor Shira, who was so technically in her element, but so politically out of it. I felt like she was in a no win situation with this one. Win or loose, she was in for a fall. I think she handled it all quite well, considering the forces she was up against. Great work Matthew Farrer:thumbsup:

At the end of the series I was more than a little bit upset with Black Library/Matthew Farrer (not sure who to blame) for leaving Shira Calpurnia in the situation she was in. It's not too late for someone to write a sequel.

I have not read the Shira Calpurnia books, and from the comments I am seeing, I feel like I am missing out.  

I'm not gonna bother asking if the books are good, because I think I know the answer.  But I do wanna ask what the personality of our short blonde friend (Shira) is like?  Is she funny?  Smart?  Naughty?  Likeable?  Like Ciaphas Cain?  Others?

I have not read the Shira Calpurnia books, and from the comments I am seeing, I feel like I am missing out.  

I'm not gonna bother asking if the books are good, because I think I know the answer.  But I do wanna ask what the personality of our short blonde friend (Shira) is like?  Is she funny?  Smart?  Naughty?  Likeable?  Like Ciaphas Cain?  Others?

Shira's the perfect protagonist for an Arbites-centric series: She's new blood in a foreign system who's over-eager to take operations into her own hands despite holding a position usually associated with paperwork. I'd say she's bull-headed, but intelligent, and likes to throw her weight around in a system that's generally obsessed with redundant ceremony. I'd say she's plenty likeable. Never read Cain, but it's not a comedy if that's what you're expecting. Plenty of dry wit, though.

Regarding the Calpurnia books I would also add that if you like superb and detailed world building then Matthew Farrer is the author for you. As you progress through the three books you actually spend progressively less time with Shira. In fact in Blind she is almost a supporting character! But the world building is simply awesome...

Crossfire - structure and procedural working of the Arbites + insight into the Ecclesiarchy and the Mechanicum.

Legacy - insight into the unique nature, traditions and set up of a Rogue Trader dynasty + Imperial Navy + Arbites (again)

Blind - Insight into the way the Astratelepathica operate (fascinating) + Arbites (again)

In every case a Police procedural/crime story that is very grim dark.

The Enforcer omnibus also has some (admittedly dry) additional material in the form of crime dossiers and pseudo essays.

I really loved these books.

Well then, looks like I'll be getting myself some Shira Calpurnia books in the future; I'll wait for the reprint of the omnibus to come out.

Speaking of the omnibus' cover, that is one awesome piece of work there. Sar Farrer must've been really happy when it was done, probably like his child being born or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Lord of the Night by Simon Spurrier (my all-time most favourite)

Helsreach by A D-B

Eisenhorn by Dan Abnett

Dark Heresy (both books) by Sandy Mitchell

Storm of Iron by Graham McNeill

Dark Disciple by Anthony Reynolds

Angels of Darkness by Gav Thorpe

Eternal Crusader by Guy Haley

Soul Drinker by Ben Counter

• 5 weeks later...

A few off the top of my head. Novels in italics, natch:

Dan: Ravenor Rogue.

John: Ahriman: Sorcerer.

Gav: Honour to the Dead.

Graham: Mechanicum.

Me: My dissertation in university, which was about my pet rabbit, and which was way better than the low marks it got, damn it.

Andy: The Kauyon.

George: Helion Rain.

Chris: Path of Heaven.

Me: My dissertation in university, which was about my pet rabbit, and which was way better than the low marks it got, damn it.

Curious...do you ever read your fellow BL authors books and think "damn wish that had been my idea". If so then anyone who "gets you that way" more often than others?

Robbie's going to be miffed ;)

ADB: Soul Hunter. The definitive heretic astartes novel/series. Made me an instant fan :) Was tough picking between this and Helsreach, which I think is possibly the best novel written from an Astartes perspective in the BL catalogue.

Abnett: Either Malleus or Prospero Burns. I think Prospero Burns is criminally underrated by the fandom as a whole. The first 50 pages are some of the best GW offers. Also, Riders of the Dead is clearly the best Warhammer novel ever, just saying ;)

Sanders: Legion of the Damned. Sanders is possibly the least consistent author BL has in terms of work I enjoy, but damn he hit out of the park on this one. Weird and violent and grim. 40k in a nutshell.

French: Ahriman: Exile. Nuff said.

Wraight: Battle for the Fang or Scars. Wraight write good.

Fehervari: Fire Caste. A Nam-esque fever dream of a novel, epitomizing 40k IMO. Also the Tau die, which pleases me.

• 3 weeks later...

Richard Williams: Imperial Glory (I would say it's the best BL book I've read and is up there with Catch 22 and Thin Red Line as my favourites)

Sandy Mitchell: CC Traitor's Hand/Death or Glory (can't decide on that one)

Steve Parker: Deathwatch

Dan Abnett: Eisenhorn Xenos

I loved Guy Haley Baneblade and can't wait to get my hands on Shadowsword.

And I know it's paramount to heresy, but I haven't got around any of ADB books... yet.

Robbie's going to be miffed :wink:

It's cool, I've not actually written enough books yet to warrant getting a list!

Richard Williams: Imperial Glory (I would say it's the best BL book I've read and is up there with Catch 22 and Thin Red Line as my favourites)

Sandy Mitchell: CC Traitor's Hand/Death or Glory (can't decide on that one)

Steve Parker: Deathwatch

Dan Abnett: Eisenhorn Xenos

I loved Guy Haley Baneblade and can't wait to get my hands on Shadowsword.

And I know it's paramount to heresy, but I haven't got around any of ADB books... yet.

ADB's stuff is damn good. With your choices above, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Brilliant call on 'Imperial Glory', and 'Baneblade' too - both utterly excellent in my esteem. If you're of a mind for more in a not-dissimilar quality, I can *strongly* recommend 'Desert Raiders', 'Fire Caste', and 'Cult of the Spiral Dawn'. Real beauties.

Archived