Objective Markers

Hi everyone,

I'm currently struggling to come up with any suitable ideas for adeptus custodes objective markers.

I'll be competing in the London GT and I've asked the organiser what the rules are about this, but they haven't gotten back to me yet and the BRB doesn't say anything about this while, CA says 25mm is good, but 40mm is great! Which doesn't help at all.

I might just buy and paint these and then add a little red to some of the symbols to show that they're glowing with power and then depending on how many markers at lit up in red, that will determine the number of that objective.

http://elementgames.co.uk/wargames-and-miniatures/bases-for-miniatures/round-bases-for-miniatures/ruins/ruins-25-mm-round-bases-5

What do you think? 

I'm just trying to keep it simple.

Actually, I like the  look of those. I think that  would work. You might also consider putting some gold on them similar to your Custodes so  they tie together.

I've seen those in person, and they're really well designed. Considered using them for some display pieces once. Never did.

For objective markers, I actually made a set of six by using a small die glued onto a 25mm base, then covered/surrounded with extra bits. In my case, I used extra bits from a different army for each marker, but if you're wanting to specifically theme yours you could easily concentrate on those styles of bits. It took a little bit of time to file/cut/construct some bits down so that only ever one side of the die shows (to indicate which marker it is) but in the end they looked really decent, I fell.

Can snag a few photos if you're interested, but none of them really are similar to Custodes themes except maybe the marines one.

What do you think? 

I'm just trying to keep it simple.

In that vein, I really like your idea. The actual size of the objective doesn't really matter any more; the 40k rulebook FAQ changed it so that it's models within 3" of the centre of the objective marker that are counted for control.

Another simple one that suits a highly ornamented imperial force is a banner mounted on a base, with a number of it (other decoration/symbols to suit) which you could combine with those bases - this example is from silversurfer:

http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/11/94/96/19/dsc_0063.jpg

I've not read the current fluff for custodes in 40k, I only know their relevance in 30k. What are they about in 40k? Perhaps model some bases to look like what they'd want to secure? Webway portals? Ancient tech? Maybe a fallen custodes? I'd imagine they'd want their antique gear and geneseed back. 

I made a bunch of dual purpose objective/wound markers for my Custodes incredibly cheaply once I realized I would be pretty constantly dealing with wounded units, and I think they turned out pretty good for what they are. I simply took a cap from a water bottle and put a "#6-32 x1.5in" screw with bolt thru it on some, and a 3" screw on others. They were the perfect size to fit these plastic skulls on.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EJ65C2M/ref=pd_aw_sim_201_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QEZ6S4FHWSVB2C2DG852

I use the bright colors for objectives, and bone colored for wound tracking. I'm also going to paint some in matching Custodes gold to go with the theme. They were really inexpensive, and I get to use them as Objectives, Wound trackers (3 skull stacks for troops, 6 skull stacks for others), and even use them for victory points and command point trackers.

r0c86QV.jpg

I like them, specifically the one with the tombs and books. Where did you get the objective marker bases with the slab supporting the books?

the Plinths are part of Horizoncreation3D's obelisks, available in various sizes for all your Tizca needs ;-) (but can also work as objective markers in their own right):

1_697f9202-4350-4c43-926d-830a51a5b823_1

I've done a couple of them up as terrain but had some parts left over and figured they would look good with a book or similar objective on them:

35593424996_9cb223e8d9_k.jpg

They are beautiful!

Thank you!

I may have to spent double the amount I originally intended, but they are too beautiful not to! Plus it's only £10 more.

Going to get them here. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HC3D-Terra-Terrain-Stackable-Obelisks-Wargames-Miniatures-Scenery-40k-28m-15mm/323078900285?hash=item4b3900ca3d:m:m2SfsImDS3idPlQJ_z-z0ng

I currently have 2 packs of custodes dice and I'll paint these eshin grey with a little abbaddon black and a little brown wash, but sticking the dice on top (I could always blue tack instead of sticking it on).

Am I correct in assuming those will only fit on the larger bases and not the 25mm bases?

EDIT:

Actually, I might buy these instead, because it looks much more fluff when any webway tech would be a top priority for the custodes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HC3D-Tech-Terrain-Warp-Gates-Wargames-Miniatures-Scenery-40k-28m-15mm/323077197036?hash=item4b38e6ccec:m:mDA6r6_EwpK0-jbYtNV_SOw

But this Ebay seller has a treasure trove's worth of objective markers and for nids too!

Yeah, I think I got them from Ebay originally, he's a really nice guy. based in the US though (a small issue for us UK types). I used one of the small obelisks recently to use as a fountain.

base size wise, I think the ones I used for the books were either the medium or small obelisk bases. if you just used the top most (pointy) section of the large size It should fit on a 40mm no problem.

if you wanted to dress the obelisks up a bit to make them look more "Custodes" you could try sticking on the Eagle storm shields from the original kit (theres is usually plenty left :-) ) or any unused Vexillas.

other things that make good objectives are casualties, a few of the Heresy Character series have a few  decorating the scenic base that are seperate and they are ideal for Space Marine/Imperial objectives.

Funny enough, my custodes army has no custodian guards. So I can't, but even then, I don't know how I'd number them and the banners worry me, because they are so easily snapped and when they are, it's not wise to try and put it back together.

I'm also finding it difficult to justify why they would go after a corpse, but in the end, I bought the mini webways, because they looked too good not to pass up!

I'll be painting them to look like they're old and weathered, so mostly greys and then I'll paint the gems red to signify the numbers. So, 3 red gems means objective 3.

Archived