The Infernal Carnival (DIY Chaos Warband)

Viridia

So, with a brand spanking new camera that doesn't operate at or near potato-quality, I thought I'd start uploading some of the stuff I'm working on at present. I've been trying the GW spray paints out for undercoating purposes, and it does make a change from just using Chaos Black to undercoat before laboriously painting other colours over the top. I'm actually quite pleased with their quality in fact.

bloodletters_basecoat_stage_by_lpjgpr-dc

Now this is the 'leader' painted up, at least partially. I've no idea why the photo looks like that, since the other two after it are just fine. I'm going for a scheme of red skin, with a brassy effect for the pommels and hilts, as well as on the horn-caps and the tattoo on this one in particular. They'll have black fins, because black goes well with nearly anything, and the tongues are being done in a light blue for a contrast (well it's actually Sotek Green), and orange for the eyes since A; it works well with the red, and B; orange is a unifiying element for my warband, with every model having some orange on it somewhere.

I do know his left eye is a little wonky, I'll try and redo the eye socket again in red when I can pick up some more paints. Also, suggestions on what to for the bases are much appreciated!

bloodletter_by_lpjgpr-dc9errw.jpg

bloodletter_left_side_by_lpjgpr-dc9esor.

bloodletter_right_side_by_lpjgpr-dc9et6s

Currently working on this fella, who's been sat in my bitzbox for about three years now! At the moment he's pretty much all standard DP parts, but I am looking at shaving off the horn on the chin and cutting off a lot of the face to accomodate the mask you can see above, which is a spare left over from an old Defiler kit.

I had been looking at cutting off the blade of the axe in favour of then creating some kind of block or stone, even if I had to learn to green-stuff it, to meld with the tendrils/whips from the Defiler kit, but I decided against that after reading 1d4chan's tactica, as it seems the Black Mace isn't an option for Daemon Princes anymore, so this is essentially it unless I decide to try and get more creative with it.

wip_daemon_prince_by_lpjgpr-dc9c4c4.jpg

I got really inspired by Augustus b'Raass and his Khorne Berzerkers made using the Blood Warriors kits from AoS, so I thought I'd have a bash at it myself and try to make some by ordering a couple of berzerker boxes and a box of Blood Warriors. So far I'm still only at the bluetacking stage, since I'm not a hundred-percent on what route to take with these. I like the Blood Warrior torsos and legs (even the boots look weirdly appropriate) and so far the Khorne Berzerker powerplants seem to fit well with them. I'm not certain about keeping the AoS axeheads though, or if I should replace those with chainaxe heads instead.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated, folks!

work_in_progress_khorne_berzerker_1_left

work_in_progress_khorne_berzerker_1_righ

So the top guy is perfect. The Axe looks bulky and brutal enough to be an Astartes weapon.

The bottom one is too weedy though and needs a good chain-ing!

Those are the same mini, mate! I’d definitely go for a chainaxe, the bulkier shaft and head will look more solid than the axe he has now.

Though chainaxes are obviously very iconic for berserkers, I think the AoS axe looks good, though the shaft is too thin, creating the weedy appearance; the head, however, looks good to me.

No updates for today unfortunately.

@Charlo/Naryn; cheers guys, it is indeed the same model! Not had time (or motivation) for doing anything just yet, think I'm saving myself for ETL, but when I get back from work tonight I'm definitely going to play around with putting the chainaxe blades on some of the AoS shafts. I've done a couple of side-by-side comparisons and there's maybe only a millimetre's difference in the width of the shafts for both the chainaxes and the Blood Warrior ones.

@BubblesMcBub; thanks mate, really wanted to make a difference to the normal DP heads. I spent yesterday shaving off the chin horn and part of the face to fit the mask on, with a slight trimming of the sides of the mask where it reaches the top of the head, just need to actually use greenstuff for one and fill in the gap between the top of the mash and the top of the actual head as well.

@Pearson73; yeah, I can see where you're coming from with the photos. It's certainly a struggle to decide what route to go with them!

Probably shouldn't have cropped this as much, but I wanted to try and make it more managable. So this is the same Berzerker as above, with the axe head replaced by a Chainaxe head from the Khorne Berzerker kit (works suprisingly well, at least IMO :wink:), and a chainsword from the Raptors kit. I am tempted to cut the chainsword at the elbow and repose it so it is facing more towards the left, across the legs, and have the head facing more to the right. Any opinions/thoughts welcome as always!

wip_berzerker_composite_by_lpjgpr-dc9yb6

Cheers mate, decided to keep the chainsword as is. Glued most of him together last night, just need to figure out how to make the backpack sit neatly on him since his left shoulderpad is actually covering part of the area where the backpack would have gone.

In other news, I thought I'd change my ways (I know, I'm sorry), and start work on my Rubric Marine box I bought a good while back. At the moment I'm building the Aspiring Sorceror from it, and wondered which head I should choose;

alternate_heads_by_lpjgpr-dca8ttn.jpg

The new axe head looks cracking on the berserker, I too am glad that you kept the pose as is. I'd go for the second head on the sorceror, it looks more streamlined, whilst the other seems too bulky.

Very well, the people have spoken! Had to tilt his head slightly when I attached the shoulder pads, but I don't think it looks too bad.

rubric_marines_aspiring_sorceror_by_lpjg

In other news;

lord_of_contagion_wip_by_lpjgpr-dcagcv1.

Here's the thing; I dig the model, I dig the Death Guard now with their new kits more than I used to as a young'un, but I could not abide the head of that Plaguereaper axe, so I cut it off and replaced it with the larger of the two blades from the double-handed glaive/axe from the AoS Blood Warriors kit. I've gouged it a little, drilled some holes and tried to carve out little pockmarks to nurglify it a bit more. Opinions welcome as ever guys!

• 3 weeks later...

Long time no updatee, for which I can only blame my steadfast devotion to ETL and switching over to lates again at work (they slay me, they really do).

Done a little more work on the daemon prince, in this case I've caved, bought some GS for the first time in ever, and tried to fill in the gap between the mask and the head (or what's left of it). Now I'm looking to chaosify it a little bit more, make it into a real-centrepiece, and I'm torn betweeh which option to take;

daemon_prince_horns_ver1_by_lpjgpr-dcc86

daemon_prince_horns_ver2_by_lpjgpr-dcc87

@Bjorn Firewalker, it is indeed just a standard daemon prince, but I'm just wanting to make it into a real centre-piece model for the army as a whole (which right now consists of nothing but infantry anyway)

Just a quick update before I head off to work, the horns are firmly attached and greenstuffed in so that hopefully they'll look like they're emerging from the helmet. Ended up having to ditch both the ideas above for the posing of them since the vertical option looked boring, and the forehead position would actually have had the left horn in contact with the wing's claw. Now with only the remaining thigh-pad to find and attach, I can get back to the Berzerkers and the Rubric Marines!

wip_daemon_prince_by_lpjgpr-dccdw0h.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A long delayed update! I am a little leery of posting this, because the colour scheme was largely intuitive, and was approached almost as a train-of-thought experiment in using pigmentation - TL;DR, I double-winged it. Oriental Flesh for the, well, flesh, Dark African Flesh for the wings and axe-haft, Blackened Barrel on the armour/axe blade, Bronze Barrel on the decoration, with Ushabti Bone on the horns/claws. Two coats of Agrax Earthshade polished it off, (even if it feels like two bottles instead), and now I just need to get a base sorted. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some suitable stuff at the Phalanx gaming event this weekend!

daemon_prince_by_lpjgpr-dce1cl4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

And the daemon prince is finally out of the way! Apologies for the bad lighting, but I didn't want to wait until tomorrow to get the best picture. The Huy'gar'tayrh, first of his line and Prince of Desolation, is ready to lead the rest of the warband to battle. (At least as soon as they're actually built)

daemon_prince_completed_by_lpjgpr-dcfske

• 7 months later...

So, remember that Lord of Contagion? He's brought friends this time, and word has it more are coming;

lord_of_contagion_and_myphitic_blight_ha

plague_marine_by_lpjgpr_dd0kbg7-fullview

Meanwhile, the Rubric makes its first appearance under the colours of the Carnival;

the_rubrics_approach_by_lpjgpr_dd0kbni-f

Just need to work out what to colour the edges of the bases in, since the texture is Armageddon Earth.

And a little WiP of one of the Berzerkers;

khorne_berzerker_by_lpjgpr_dd0kbyh-fullv

I really like the swap of the axe head on the lord of contagion. I think, whether you like the original or not, it is really just so distinctive if you want to make the model your own then it has to be changed.

Archived