Max's Return to Dark Angels

MaxB

Well I've been back to Warhammer and the Dark Angels for about 4 months now after a ~10 year hiatus. I've been sticking with them, regularly painting and getting games in. It's the most excited I've been about the hobby in a long while so I thought I would throw up some pics of my progress and hopefully keep adding to this thread as I go.

Questions or critique is always welcome.

Thanks for stopping by.

Max

Thanks guys. Appreciate the love. 

Yes I tend to go clean until my wife rips on them saying they don't look like they're in battle haha - so trying to add some battle damage (mostly to the vehicles). Got a Dark Talon in the works that I plan to add plenty of chips and rust streaks to.

Thanks! 

Yes I did heaps of research before starting the black. Found some good recipes on instagram. I use some blue tones (also very hard to capture in the pics), then also try to get quite bright (ending with Blue Horror), and keep the lines thin (keep cutting back in with black to neaten it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up my Azrael conversion... next will be his trusty sidekick (watcher). Never done much purple before so I'm a bit on the fence about that. And first time trying to do a shiny black nmm style sword - I'm happy with the blend, but maybe will add some extra glints here and there. Or most likely just leave it and have something to work for the next model!

41879852782_a915b2fff3_c.jpg

27054712427_03c7872df1_c.jpg

Yes, yes, yes. Just yes to everything about that model.

That is how to paint a black sword.

Fantastic conversion.

Wicked force you’ve got painted up so far! Honestly, at first I thought you’d stolen the image of the Darkshroud from the GW site! I really enjoy what you did with the statues

And that Azrael, you rocked that conversion. Sweet extra details on him, and gorgeous blending on his cape! Is the inside of his cape purple or black? I can’t quite tell on my phone

Wicked force you’ve got painted up so far! Honestly, at first I thought you’d stolen the image of the Darkshroud from the GW site! I really enjoy what you did with the statues

And that Azrael, you rocked that conversion. Sweet extra details on him, and gorgeous blending on his cape! Is the inside of his cape purple or black? I can’t quite tell on my phone

Thanks for the kind words. Purple on the inside of his cape same as the bit on the front. Came put quite Dark in the pics - just setting up the lighting at home and I thinking I need some more light hitting straight on

How did you paint the statues on the Darkshroud? I've struggled finding a guide on how to achieve that green tint on them.

Found a recipe from Seige Studios (they did the RW for Tabletop Tactics - mad army). The have it on their Insta

It goes...

Base mix of Caliban Green and Celestra Grey

Dry brush with celstra grey then VMC pale grey blue (I just used ulthuan grey)

Wash Coelia Greenshade

Final light dry brush with ulthuan grey (or the VMC pale grey blue)

How did you paint the statues on the Darkshroud? I've struggled finding a guide on how to achieve that green tint on them.

Found a recipe from Seige Studios (they did the RW for Tabletop Tactics - mad army). The have it on their Insta

It goes...

Wash Coelia Greenshade

Thank you! Looking forward to trying it out :)

It goes...

Wash Coelia Greenshade

Thank you! Looking forward to trying it out :smile.:

No worries. It's a great technique. Water down the Coelia Greenshade to control the intensity of the green. And go super light/dry with the final drybrush

• 2 months later...

Ok a couple of recently finished minis for you... Talonmaster and Scout Squad!

I've fallen into the trap of starting about 6 different units so progress is a bit slow. Dark Talon and Hellblasters should be next.

43524275981_7d5c5fb84e_z.jpg

29652748518_2a64d882f6_z.jpg

This shows the blue-ness of the highlights better than previous posts (using a proper camera now). Kept the conversion pretty spartan. Just a couple of tech upgrades to represent his special rules.

29652747158_25ab683fe5_z.jpg

Tried to go fairly quick with scouts. Heads from Kromlech turned out well I think. Also first complete unit with a new green recipe borrowed from Mike Mutiny.

Regarding your Azrael, how did you get the combi-plasma arm? Is it from the original Azrael model? The main body I know is from an Interrogator Chaplain. The Sword also looks stunning, not sure where it comes from as well. Care to share? 

Archived