Max's Return to Dark Angels

MaxB

Regarding your Azrael, how did you get the combi-plasma arm? Is it from the original Azrael model? The main body I know is from an Interrogator Chaplain. The Sword also looks stunning, not sure where it comes from as well. Care to share?

Yep interrogator chaplain body, both weapons (including hands/gloves) from the metal Azrael model. Both fit suprisingly well. I love the sculpt of the sword

Great stuff MaxB, you have got skills!  Really like how you have done the combat blade on the scout

Thanks mate! The blade is just some back and forth washing and dry brushing. The final dry brush done directionally to give the diagonal lines

Lovely looking models - i really like your tonned down colours on your ravenwing bikers - simple black with sparse addition of silver and gold. It works really well together. I have never liked the red casings so it's great to see someone else is painting them black :)  Also stunning Azrael conversion but I miss his personal banner on the back. Kepp up that good work !

Lovely looking models - i really like your tonned down colours on your ravenwing bikers - simple black with sparse addition of silver and gold. It works really well together. I have never liked the red casings so it's great to see someone else is painting them black :)  Also stunning Azrael conversion but I miss his personal banner on the back. Kepp up that good work !

Yes black bolters for the win! I think I saw it first ~10 years ago GW staffer Owen someone( can't remember last name) had a DA army that featured in White Dwarf a few times. Appreciate the comments on the RW bikers - the plan was to keep them nice and cool and unified. Just some tiny hits of gold, but much less than the box art. Yes I may try and source a banner for Az one day. The kit I had only had the frame without the sculpted banner.

• 1 month later...

Ok a couple of units (well half of one) finished and photographed! 

I've also started up an Instagram page, so don't want to go post stuff multiple times everywhere....does that annoy people?

Figured this thread is pretty low-key though and themed directly for my DA stuff.

So first up is 5/10 Hellblasters. Currently working through the remaining 5 with the aim to get them done for Armies on Parade! Bit of a slog edging all that green though (especially Warpstone Glow - particularly dislike that paint).

I'm happy with them but ideally would like to source another light green/yellow to do some hot spots on the edges. Does anybody know of something that would suit? Prefer to not mix for the sake of speed and consistency.

30615548278_8c1b28b4b9_c.jpg

And very happy to show the finished Dark Talon! First time using enamel products for streaking and can say they are fun, easy and IMHO look pretty darn cool.

30615551038_5a1bb95d5a_c.jpg

29547531727_c77bcca8ea_z.jpg

30615549738_6d8b12e376_z.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always C&C welcome.

Max

They look great.

I agree warpstone is an awful colour. I find I have issues with maintaining a consistent level of pigment across the highlights. Highlighting all those edges is a paint when you have to go over areas twice to get a consistent colour.

GWs paint app gives moot green as the top highlight.

I have used moot green myself. Moot green is a much better paint and has a nice consistent flow.

Thanks guys.

100% agree re warpstone glow.

Yeh I'm using Moot Green as the final edge highlight already. Just looking for something brighter to dot the corners. Maybe Dorn Yellow??

How do you get that nice green marble on the Dark Talon? Looks lovely

Found a recipe from Seige Studios (they did the RW for Tabletop Tactics - mad army). The have it on their Insta

It goes...

Base mix of Caliban Green and Celestra Grey

Dry brush with celstra grey then VMC pale grey blue (I just used ulthuan grey)

Wash Coelia Greenshade

Final light dry brush with ulthuan grey (or the VMC pale grey blue)

How do you get that nice green marble on the Dark Talon? Looks lovely

Found a recipe from Seige Studios (they did the RW for Tabletop Tactics - mad army). The have it on their Insta

It goes...

Base mix of Caliban Green and Celestra Grey

Dry brush with celstra grey then VMC pale grey blue (I just used ulthuan grey)

Wash Coelia Greenshade

Final light dry brush with ulthuan grey (or the VMC pale grey blue)

Amazing. I need to mix paints more often overall anyway

• 1 month later...

So it's been a few weeks but I have made a fair bit of progress on my Dark Angels, culminating in a finished Armies on Parade display dropped in to my local Warhammer store this morning! Really happy to have got it all done.

I'm still editing the photos of the Armies on Parade board, but for now here is the rest of the Hellblaster squad.

After the first 5 I decided I would spend a few more minutes adding more edge highlights especially in the darker areas (inside legs etc). I was also able to add some hotspots using Gauss Blaster Green (recommended by some of the guys at the local store). Really happy with this final highlight - they seem much more complete to me now. Further more I went back and re-highlighted the black gun casings in a more flat grey. While this black is now different to the blue/grey of my Ravenwing, I think it sits much better against the green of the armour.

29948601707_f50e634e4d_c.jpg

And the complete squad with Az and old school Ancient

43073406600_2c45c8b78c_c.jpg

Comments and critique always welcome.

Max

And some pics of my Armies on Parade board.

Really happy to have gotten this done in time  - it was a great motivator and a very rewarding experience.

And those new Sector Imperialis kits are awesome!

30346329827_1f68809d24_c.jpg

30346326707_2629f032bd_c.jpg

45235481622_e64e5eb4f8_c.jpg

30346320697_e2760c566a_c.jpg

30346316647_75528c4d46_c.jpg

Max

Wow THIS is beautiful ! Everything is top-notch! Haven't seen your converted Azrael before and I have to say that he looks fantastic.

p.s. I would throw some deathwing to complete the setup :) 

Wow THIS is beautiful ! Everything is top-notch! Haven't seen your converted Azrael before and I have to say that he looks fantastic.

p.s. I would throw some deathwing to complete the setup :)

Thank you very much! Yep got a Deathwing squad from a few years back but they needed some touch ups. Always next year!

very very nice mate!

Thanks!

I was going to say how amazing the diorama looks, with the fallen and the Dark Angels hunting them, and how beautiful that Dark Talon is.

I'm Spanish and usually we use a lot of swearwords to express admiration or to say how much we like something. But, because I want to be a polite person, I can only express it with that emoticon:

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Brilliant diorama, the painting is very high quality. I really am taken by the Fallen, the flames of the torches are done well.

Thankyou very much! I am quite proud of my Fallen - they were actually painted really quick compared to my DA. Zero edge highlight, moving quickly over the armour and robes but spending time on the OSL. I use them as a Heretic Astartes Kill Team.

Archived