Could conscripts be used to make a fluffy Praetorian army?

Hatarus

So this is an idea i've been rattling around in my head since Commissars came down in price so feel free to dismiss this as mild rambling.

with how Conscripts are now in the game being 4 points a model and basically worse guardsmen i've been mulling over the idea they might from a fluff sense be very close to how (at least how i understand it) the Praetorian guard works having units of around 40 30 guardsmen and a Platoon officer march out in box formation and volley fire down their opponents with Laslock fire, so with that here is my idea of how you could turn the conscripts into Praetorian guardsmen fluff wise.

Conscript squad of 30= Praetorian unit and how they would line up for volley fire

Platoon Officer= Praetorian officer 

5+BS= Laslock rifle, which if i remember right is a little less accurate then a standard Lasrifle 

Regiment would be Vostroyan to get access to their abilities  
Heirloom weapons (Laslocks)
Repel the enemy (which sounds like something a Praetorian would say and do)
Honored duelist (considering officers use Powerswords sure)
The armour of Graf (which also sounds like something a Officer would wear)  

so that's my basic idea of how to run Conscripts as Praetorian Guard if anyone has some advice on how this could work better let me know because i might start a small 500-1000 second guard army to give it a shot    

I'd probably go with Mordians to represent Prets (get serious bonuses for forming firing lines) and I'd stick to normal infantry (even if you group them in blocks of 30) as conscripts are now rather rubbish.

Otherwise a Praetorian army could be great fun (bonus points for the anvil range having recently expanded a lot in that direction http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments/dress-uniform )

I'd probably go with Mordians to represent Prets (get serious bonuses for forming firing lines) and I'd stick to normal infantry (even if you group them in blocks of 30) as conscripts are now rather rubbish.

Otherwise a Praetorian army could be great fun (bonus points for the anvil range having recently expanded a lot in that direction http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments/dress-uniform )

I'm a Victorian miniatures man since we are both Australian 

Even better! 

Really love the Victoria miniatures stuff.

For bonus points on the Mordian doctrine your firing lines will hit on 5s during overwatch and will be able to supercharge plasma safely during it, if deployed carefully and with the defensive gunners strategy your vehicles can overwatch on 4+ (which is hilarious with a Baneblade, I'm informed). 

VM stuff is great! Just be sure to thoroughly clean and scrub the models first or you'll be frustrated later on when the glue won't set.
Also expect some minor green stuff touch up. 

It will be an expensive army points and $$ wise, but will be fun for sure! 
I'd suggest some movement trays ;) 

The awesome thing about Mordians / Praetorians is although there is a specific Mordian trait I could see how from a fluff perspective they could really use most of the other regimental RD's (with the exception of probably Catachan).

The Commissariat will expect a full WiP thread with plenty of pictures though! ;)

Good luck! :tu:

Archived