The ETL Crusade: The Brethren Assemble

TheOneTrueZon

It begins. In one week the great battle ensues.

Paint will be shaken.

Bonding agents applied.

The call to bring the Emperors Judgement upon chaos is here.

Will you answer Brothers & Sisters?

For some of our newer Brethren, you have probably by now heard mention of ETL (E Tenembrae Lux). Until recently (the organizers took 2017 off due to RL) it is the yearly inter-forum build / paint competition. Our recent run-up with the Blood Angels will mean that some of us are certainly prepared for the challenge. First vows go up May 1st and the competition runs until August 1st.

Basic rules have been posted by our esteemed Captain Semper here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/345917-its-been-a-long-time/page-15?do=findComment&comment=5062421

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_6_Poster_01_Teaser.jpg

Anyone here got a plan for vows already?

I'm definitely going to vow some Lords of War since the point cap this year is gone. Mastodon & Cerastus Knight Castigator (heavily modified) are a sure bet for me. 

Planned are a Dreadnought with MM and CCW, a chaplain, a six man shooty crusader squad with ML and MM, and a ten man Company Veteran squad.

That is what I have planned. What I will complete is a separate issue.:wink:

Is it just me, or am I missing the other standard codex Adeptus Astartes getting excited for the coming ETL?

Looking for a good place to devote my points to, even if I'm not painting actual Black Templars. I could call them Iron Templars (my scheme is more Iron Hands).

I hear you guys have all the best pizza here.

sml_gallery_104866_14172_66974.png

I shall definitely partake in the challenge. Apart from some fire support infantry I've planeed to paint next, I need to paint up some HQs, so a couple of Marshals, Castellans and Chaplains, backed up by Champrions and Standard Bearers are in my line-up for sure; the choices seem point-efficient, on top of me wanting to have a broader selection of painted characters for my Crusade. Alas, long gone are the times when I only needed the Emperor's Champion.

Sadly I dont have a lot of templar left to paint, just a lrc and terminator captain. On the other hand I just rebuilt and assembled a sizable tau force, so I have quite a bit of those to paint, so sadly I can't quite commit to the frater but I'll be rooting for ya nonetheless

Been scouring sites for more models, wanting to build a complete company with enough models for all weapon load-outs.
I've calculated I'd need 244 models (that's for all TAC, ASLT (jp), ASLT (no-jp), & DEV). Three-quarters there.

At 4,211 points so far - juggling the heavy weapons into many small "DEV" squads. 

Question is, how fast can I build them? Add to this, I've never done this before. :teehee: :woot: :tongue.: 

Sorry, I've been working too many long hours and my brain is fried. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Swordbretheren in a vet squad (or Sternguard/Vanguard) are worth more then a Crusader squad despite being the same basic model? 13 v 16 points base if I’m seeing this right, not much but if you’re doing enough guys that could be a little chunk extra.

Scratch builds were usually not eligible for the challenge, right?

Right. The problem is that there is no standardised quality for scratch builds. So although some may be excellent version of the unit they are supposed to represent, some might be totally off. So I will be called to pass judgement and that may create unnecessary friction. It is unavoidable since there is an element of subjectivity... 

As such scratch builds will be admissible as out-of-competition entries. Recall that out-of-competition entries are exactly like normal entries (i.e. you are eligible for the Custos Fidei) but will not contribute any points to your Forum (or Faction).

And Firepower is back! :laugh.: (not that he ever left)

Scratch builds were usually not eligible for the challenge, right?

Right. The problem is that there is no standardised quality for scratch builds. So although some may be excellent version of the unit they are supposed to represent, some might be totally off. So I will be called to pass judgement and that may create unnecessary friction. It is unavoidable since there is an element of subjectivity... 

As such scratch builds will be admissible as out-of-competition entries. Recall that out-of-competition entries are exactly like normal entries (i.e. you are eligible for the Custos Fidei) but will not contribute any points to your Forum (or Faction).

Sure, I get that. A part of me has been hoping that maybe this rule's changed and one will be able to score points for cheap plasticard vehicles. Especially that I've recently put together two custom Rhinos. I'll probably give a non-scoring pledge a pass, though - with my relatively slow pace of work, I'll want to maximise my contribution to the Templar's cause.

:looks at his Cataphractii sprue with drained enthusiasm post Deep Strike rewrite:

Perhaps I can find something else, like my...Terminator Chaplain...

Damnit GW.

ETL IS the perfect time to bust out those Cataphractii more than anything else... they won't see much use on the tabletop from what I assume from your post, so why not use them to boost the points for the Templars... they are hefty in points, and since my Templar don't see much battle nowadays (thanks GW for ruining Templars...) I tend to gear them up a lot as well and they should rake up some points for the coming ETL...

​Even though I am accumulating and slowly building/painting my Death Guard army, I still have quite a bit of BT to hobby on as well.  I will definitely be working on a Contemptor, and happened across several old metal chaplains, as well as Grimmy and Helbrecht.  Maybe a Nexaris Crusade Ecclesiarchy is in order?

UPDATE:  Well, after reading through the rules, I am officially unable to complete my proposed vow of the Contemptor.....he was a required project I began for the CK Studios Air Brush 101.  Though he is nowhere near completion, progress is still much further along than a simple primer/base coat.  Bummer.  Unfortunately, I will have to throw my lot in with all of the Death Guard models I have sitting on my desk.  Maybe next year I'll get back to my boxes of BTs.  Good luck on completing your vows!

Brothers, we stand upon the dawn of a new era, the ETL is before us once again, but now our foes have multiplied ten fold with the foul xenos joining the race. But we do not stand alone. Astartes from many chapters stand by our side. How will they see the Black Templars of this new era? I will tell you.  We will take our place at the forefront of battle as we have done for more than ten millennia.  We attack. WE ATTACK! 

Let our feet, steel clad, pressed into the soils of this alien land, remark on our passing. What need have we of plaudit and praise? No matter the laurel of victory, no matter the glories others may seek. No matter the rules that change on the wind.

WE ARE THE BLACK TEMPLARS.

VICTORY IS IT'S OWN REWARD

YOUR MARSHAL CALLS YOU TO WAR, WILL YOU ANSWER?

I'm sure that one initiate is merely doing pushups with just his zeal given his lack of arms, rather than having given up on his duty and lain down to die just because he has no head?

I'm sure that one initiate is merely doing pushups with just his zeal given his lack of arms, rather than having given up on his duty and lain down to die just because he has no head?

Perhaps he was just feeling a bit light headed.

Archived