What colour paints do I need to paint statues?

Hi all,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to painting since I haven't done it in so long, but what paints would one use to paint the grey statues of space marine figures that is seen so often in the pictures?

Because right now I think it's just two colours. A white and a grey and then mixing it in different ratios to give it that weathered statue look.

You could do that, or you could undercoat in black and use a series of progressively lighter pre-mixed grays for the lighter parts, just so that you get consistent colours. Technique wise I reckon you should get decent results just from drybrushing.

I'd suggest eshin gray, sawnstone and administration Gray's with a final subtle touch of white just in a few places.

Try using a brown wash in the deeper recesses before you drybrush the lighter greys on - this simulates accumulated dust and dirt/weathering.

Other effects can be achieved with a little green wash used sparingly for mould/moss on lover parts of the statue, and perhaps a few paler streaks on the upper areas to suggest bird droppings.

Really, there's not real hard-and-fast rules to these things like there is with painting minis - just try a few ideas and see what works. In fact, just seeing what works is one of the great joys of painting terrain! ;)

the ones I've done in the past were simply "dark grey" then drybrushed with "light grey". it's simple but effective. you can add some fancy washes/shading.

don't forget you can also paint them gold!

35245716330_390a67fca0_k.jpg

Archived