A potential fix to the reserve situation in 3 easy steps.

Sea-People

This just popped into my head and I thought I'd share.

This fix assumes that GW changes nothing in the beta ruling itself. I'm considering a workaround to one of the more neglected models in 8th: the mighty Drop Pod!

Here's the plan:

1. 75 points. Thats three more points than a rhino. 4 Power level. (you'll see why)

2. On the first turn, Drop Pods and all models embarked inside Drop Pods may be set up anywhere on the battlefield more than 9" from enemy models. Note that this overrides the general restriction that all units arriving from reserves must be placed inside the controlling player's deployment zone.

3. Drop pods and all units embarked within Drop Pods count as being set up on the battlefield for the purpose of determining how many units and power level may be placed in reserves.

Basically I've brought back null deploy. It also makes the cost of Drop Pods justified! There are a number of pros and cons to this ruling:

PROS:

-Null deploy will protect against extreme alpha strike gun lines. With less ability to get into melee turn one, perhaps less ability to shoot is in order as well. (However, if somebody reserves dark reapers or a similar unit, they still will likely get the first strike off.)

-Taking a large amount of pods will seriously cut into the points in somebody's army. I'd imagine 4 to 5 pods would be the number to fully null deploy an army. Thats 300-375 points of what will amount to area denial after the turn they come in. you'd effectively be playing 1700 points vs their 2000 points in order to receive the privilege of null deploy.

-The most dangerous shooting alpha strike that can be put in a drop pod is lots of special weapons or Sternguard. Lots of special weapons is expensive. It's potentially powerful, but you pay points for it.

-In a full pod army, after T1 you'r left with MEQ, 3+ save, mostly 1W models. If the opponent can weather the storm you're in trouble.

CONS:

-The opponent gets to do nothing for a turn. This is truly a big deal. I personally don't find playing parking lot armies fun, but some people do. Just like some people don't like null deploy. Not interacting with your opponent for a turn is not fun, but then again neither is being blasted to smithereens. Not sure how to reconcile this one...

-It still doesn't give the ability to T1 charge effectively. This doesn't do much to help out Grey Knights or Daemons.

THE UGLY:

-It is a lot closer to what 7th used to be. But then again so is restricting reserves on the first turn. If that's the direction GW is going, I think the return null deploy is a fair trade for T1 charges.

Thoughts?

I don't read any specific things that override the reserve behavior. I highly doubt drop pods are exempt from the rule at all.

"Instead of being set up on the battlefield during Deployment, many units have the ability to be set up on teleportariums, in high orbit, in Reserve, etc., in order to arrive on the battlefield mid-game as reinforcements."

A drop pod is exactly that: A unit with an ability to be setup to arrive on the battlefield mid-game as reinforcements. Really, the text is pretty much copy and paste from other abilities such as teleportarium and the like with the words being swapped out with "in orbit" instead.

Nice attempt but it's right there with the rest of the "deep strike" abilities.

They are not exempt in the game's current state. I'm suggesting that an exemption for Drop Pods is added to counterbalance the new reserves changes in teh next FAQ or Chapter Approved or something.

You and every other Space Marine player, buddy.

Pods were somewhat niche, overcosted & useless before the FAQ, now they're even moreso.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that they’ve gone way too far in dealing with the problem and have overshot into unrelated situations, myself. They say that the concern was the alpha strike, so it seems to me that they ought to create a penalty for the tactic, rather than just banning it.

Maybe they add a -1 to hit rolls for any deep striking units. Maybe they offer a free ‘overwatch’ against deep striking units. Maybe deep strikers can’t get the benefit of cover on the turn they arrive.

I think they ought to be looking at reducing the impact of deep strike with regards an alpha strike, rather than just removing the option. There are a number of factions or specific army lists which very thematically promoted a very aggressive play style, ours included. It feels a shame to just have a blanket ban, rather than some tweaks to encourage more thoughtful play.

They definitely overshot so let's hope they take the term “beta“ seriously and don't use it as “basically finished but too afraid to confront the community with it as fix rules change“. ^^

I could see GW giving everyone a free interception with -1 to hit like the Stratagem and remove those Stratagems (or rework them) instead of nerfing the deep strike mechanic itself.

Archived