How best to utilize Mech Eldar

Shiboinky

I recently played in a semi-competitive event with my eldar army. I've never honestly liked running abusive lists and prefer to keep my lists true to the fluff as much as possible. So, in this event I chose to bring a single small unit of dark reapers and shinning spears, but instead focused around a core of dire avengers and fire dragons in 3 wave serpents. I have to say, the wave serpents were fantastic in all three games. In all three games, I only lost a single wave serpent and this was completely my fault as I charged him into a single wound sanguinor as a Hail Mary to score a secondary obj (kill and enemy in the assault phase).... it didn't go so well. Aside from my tactical blunder there, they proved to be incredibly valuable. I would love to be able to take this focus and tone it down for friendly games but also ramp it up in order to play in more competitive events.

So what I'd like to discuss with y'all is: how do you best utilize mech Eldar? What do you combo with wave serpents? What load outs do you prefer in mech eldar lists?

I have been running mech or semi-mech Eldar since 4th edition and it works very well. The Wave Serpent remains one of the best Transports in the game so you just have to decide how best to leverage and support it.

The first decision to make is what to arm your Wave Serpents with. I favour triple Shuricannons for the simple reason that they can move and shoot at full effect whereas other turret options degrade when you move (an important consideration in a vehicle that will be providing your infantry with both protection and mobility). Since this optimises your Serpents in an anti-infantry role, you need to consider anti-tank for the rest of you army.

Fire Prisms are the perfect compliment to Wave Serpents, particularly if you run 2 of them. They provide serious anti-tank firepower as well as being able to threaten heavy infantry like Terminators, Tau Battlesuits etc. Run them in pairs, keep them as far back as possible to use their long range as protection (works even better if you run Alaitoc). Keep them stationary or slow moving in order to fire twice each turn if possible. Then just use the linked fire stratagem whenever you face a tough target. Rerolls to Hit and Wound without relying on psychic powers is great and a full volley can delete anything short of a Land raider in one turn. Round out with a squad of Reapers and that should satisfy your Heavy support requirements.

Next you need to consider cargo for your Serpents. You will need some Troops to supply CPs for our tasty stratagems and Avengers and Guardians both make good use of the Wave Serpent. If they are mounted, the extra range and durability of the Avengers is less important so I would be tempted to run Guardians but this is very much a matter of choice. I also like to run a squad of Rangers (again, Alaitoc for preference) as they help to take objectives on T1, screen your from Reserves (less important if you are playing the Beta rules) and generally make more of a nuisance than you would expect for 60 points. Occasionally they may even get lucky and kill something. :biggrin.:

The Elites section is also a good place to go for cargo. Fire Dragons are good but I have to say I like Wraithguard more. For a 50% price increase you get 3-times as many wounds, Toughness 6, better CC prowess and the ability to withdraw from combat and still shoot! 5 Wraithguard will reallt not disappoint you.

Since you enjoy your Shining Spears I would take a squad with an Exarch to lead them.

Lastly you have HQs. I like to run the trio of Spiritseer, Farseer and Autarch (the latter on bike if possible). This allows you for form your Heavies into a Spearhead detachment for an extra CP. The Farseer takes powers of your choice (I like Doom + whatever takes your fancy) and buffs your army. The Spiritseer can ride with the Wraithguard and normally gets Protect/Jinx. Wraithguard with a 2+ save are harder to shift than curry stains and Jinx + Doom will make even Nurgle Daemon engines crumple. The Autarch can keep up with the Wave Serpents and buff their shooting very nicely or the Shining Spears to support them in melee. He also provides some solid counter-charge punch if necessary (I have even charged and finished off a Stormraven gunship with him on one occasion).

With all that advice in mind, here is a 1750 point list that will work pretty well. This has been written after the price increases in the recent FAQ. The advantage is that the Battalion now provides +5 CPs rather than +3 so we can keep playing our tricks for longer.

Battalion Detachment (+5 CPs)

108 HQ Autarch, Jetbike, Laserlance, Banshee mask, Shimmerplume (Relic), Path of Command, Warlord Trait (Fate's messenger)
65 HQ Spiritseer, Runes of Battle

60 Troops 5 Rangers
95 Troops 10 Guardians with Shuricannon platform
134 Transport Wave Serpent with 3 Shuricannons
95 Troops 10 Guardians with Shuricannon platform
134 Transport Wave Serpent with 3 Shuricannons

126 Fast 4 Shining Spears, Exarch with Star Lance

200 Elite 5 Wraithguard
129 Transport Wave Serpent with Twin Shuricannons and Twin catapults

Spearhead Detachment (+1 CP)

110 HQ Farseer + Witchblade, Runes of Fate

160 Heavy Fire Prism with twin shuricats
160 Heavy Fire Prism with twin shuricats
173 Heavy 5 Dark reapers, Exarch with EML

1749 Total Battalion + Spearhead 9 CPs

Thanks Karhedronuk, I appreciate the detailed response. It's funny, the list you outlined was pretty similar to what I ran in that last event. I ended up with 2 units each of dire avengers and fire dragons, but I like the idea of wraith guard. I have an unbuilt squad and have been torn on what to do with them; I think you might have just made my mind up for me lol.

For the sake of continuing the conversation, what are your thoughts on starcannons? I equipped 1 of my serpents as you mentioned above and loaded it up with dire avengers to act as a fast moving flanking unit. The other two I equipped with starcannons and a crystal targeting matrix. They were able to hold the center with their longer range. The stars helped to finish off whatever the fire dragons hit if it somehow managed to survive. Plus they could pick on more elite infantry.

I tried them on a whim, but I've become quite a fan.

Sure, Starcannons and CTMs can work. I prefer to keep my Serpents cheap and mobile to fit in more units but that is just a personal preference and doesn't mean that other approaches won't work. Simmilarly, Guardians vs Avengers and Wraithguard vs Dragons are largely a personal choice.

One other things to consider is Wraithguard with D-scythes. They work almost as well as D-cannons against tough targets (1.33 wounds against typical T7/8 tanks/monsters vs 1.55 for the Cannons) but work much better against infantry and have a terrifying overwatch. You can mitigate the shorter range by simply advancing every turn since D-Scythes auto-hit anyway.

Food for thought. :smile.:

Archived