Can't Decide on Army Options (feedback &sugestions welcome)

Duke Danse Macabre

Currently I have been working on my deathwatch for most of the last 4 years.

Originally it was space marines with the metal shoulder pad upgrades and when the army came out I went to town so to speak and bought everything I could ever need including a Corvus wing.

Years on after moving most my stuff is still in storage so I decided to paint a new deathwatch army to add to the original.

Currently I'm sitting pretty at 1200 points flat on a 2000 point list.

Currently I have a few odds and ends painted on a few extra options but what is done or almost bar the basing is the following:

- 2 X 5 man squad, xenophase Blade Sargent, 2 frag cannons in twin las, Storm Bolter, hunter killer Razorbacks.

- Watch Master

- Librarian

- 2 X redemptor dreadnoughts with Icarus, twin Storm Bolter and both onslaught variants. (I find the watch master rerolls really help here)

Now I'm trying to make the list relatively capable if not min maxed to the heavens but I love the theme of the force and don't want to ally every Tom dick and Harry to make it work.

My concern is I feel as if I should get a Corvus but having 3 already (granted I can't use them for now) makes me loath to buy a 4th when I likely will never use all 4 at once, that's in addition to it not being on par with the nastier fliers like storm ravens.

Now my main concern is anti armour in addition to filling the last troop slot to make a battalion (though another elite and HQ would grant me vanguard detachment as well)

So I'm trying to decide hat to buy next to add to the army.

Primaris are around the corner but their lack of transport puts me off, in addition I don't consider hell Blasters great for their points costs.

The army overall lacks serious anti armour, speed and a little combat. (Redemptors can only do so much)

Now hordes here are not an issue, that said bikes are a great option for us but ar very expensive for what they are and easy to make even more costly... That and I would have to source extra front plates for the bikes to make them look their best and where as aggressors are cool, unless they also have special issue ammo they are not great replacements, considering I have the hordes covered.

Now at the moment I'm considering all options, if it sounds cool I want to hear it.

The most important thing to me is the look of the force before playability but I would like to be able to achieve both without taking a lemon so to speak, I'm a competent player but that only will get you so far if you get shot off the table.

Taking this into account what do folks suggest?

Honestly I would wait to do anything until our Dex drops. We just don't know what GW is going to do to our army once it drops. I hope kill teams get fixed, and what they'll do in terms of the proper introduction of Primaris in our ranks. 

Per the FAQ you can probably get rid of your 4th black star, sense we can't have more than x3 of any data slate in any army. 

I know it sucks waiting but our new book is right around the corner. 

Problem is it just never ends.

We had a book, 6 months later it's invalid.

We get the index, we get chapter approved, we plan the army, they add primaris, we plan with that and detachments, we get a faq to remove key words which blocks east assass8n and inquisitor access, in the next 3 months we iplbhabe a codex but 2018 chapter approved is a month or 2 after that.

The push backs just never seem to end.

Because after all That the faq will come out of beta and change it again.

It's a shame what they did with the max 3 units of one type though.

I know it was open to spam but with armies like guard keeping access to squadrons to seems a tad unfair.

Still think you should wait. The Codex will be the defining document of our army.

With the track record of released armies, once your codex drops, you're either good to go or screwed in the long run, and most things won't change outside of clearly OP units.

Like everyone else, I would say to wait.  We don't know what kind of options we will get or if any of our options will change or be taken away and left as legacy options in the index.

If you do want to keep building and painting, I would say that any of the options that you can build from the killteam box should be safe bets.

Archived