Imperial Militia Model Recommendations?

Hello! 

I'm just getting into 30k, and would like to run Imperial Militia (loyalist, of course). My local group meets at a GW store, so that means I need GW models, discounting out my original plan to use anvil industries. Does anyone have any suggestions for building something up? In 40k I use steel legion, and considered doing something like that, but the limited modability of metal models deterred me to an extent.

Imperial Militia are pretty much only limited by your imagination and hobbying abilities. With the amount of new human models we've received in the past few years - from Necromunda, to Genestealer Cults, to Skitarii, to Kairic Acolytes and Militarum Tempestus - the possibilities for kitbashing militia have never been better! It's impossible to say which combinations will be best, so it's probably best to have a think about it and play around with some ideas yourself. The old Empire State Troops with Skitarii weapons and some head swaps is an idea I was thinking about at one point though. 

If you just want straight up stand in models with no conversion work, Catachans double as Calth Irregulars/Phyrian Auxillaries; Cadians as Malcador's Chosen/Syrins/Calth Regulars (especially the old metal models); and Vostroyans as Gene-Five Two Chiliad/Urslaviks (arguably). 

I've seen some great militia conversions using Warhammer Fantasy Imperial soldiers (... what's Age of Skubmar?) and wh40k lasguns. Anvil Industry has also plenty of parts and minis to use as militiamen.

You could use the old Empire, free company box as well as the archers box.  The ganger boxes do also seem to hold some opportunity for conversions. The ,G.W. ,that you go to might not have a problem as long as the relevant amount of the build meaning at least 90% of the model is ,G.W. .

Yeah, pretty much whatever you want.

For me, I just picture 40K Guard. In my head it’s a reflection of the Imperium’s decline that the standard issue of 40K is the same as what a militia would cobble together in 30K.

For my Space Wolves Serves 30k (Provenances: feral warriors, survivors of dark age):

- force commander - inquisitor Coteaz model - converted

- discipline masters cadre - scions

- platoon command cadre - cadian command squad

- infantry squad - cadian infantry 2x - rifle squad

- infantry squad - marauders - cc squad

- grenadiers 1 - hybrids

- grenadiers 2 - orloc gang

- recon squad - escher / van sar gang

- medicae - cadians / scions medics

Now I am thinkin about conversion based on skitarii.

I made a discipline master using the storm trooper kit (built like the commander) and added a head from Anvil Industry.

My force commander is based of Coteaz with a head swap (Anvil again) and a marine power axe in place of the hammer.

Unfortunately the photos are too large to upload to the B&C

Archived