2.5k Salamander Drop List

SickSix

I am working on assembling all my plastics from the big box sets. And finances are getting tight to dip into FW resin. So I made this list as possibly an easier route to getting a standard 2.5k list ready for gaming. Of course I realize putting to Caestus Rams in the list and talking about finances is kind of silly. But they could easily be swapped for flavors of Land Raiders (I actually already have a MKIIb LR on hand) for the Breachers and Drakes. But then I have massage the list for the Praetor to ride somewhere.

Anyways, enough babbling. Here is the list:

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Legion Praetor [185pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Dragonscale Storm Shield, Iron Halo, Mantle of the Elder Drake, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Thunder Hammer
. Legiones Astartes: XVIII

+ Elites +

Firedrake Terminator Squad [350pts]: 4x Dragonscale Storm Shield, 4x Firedrakes, 4x Thunder Hammer
. Firedrake Master: Dragonscale Storm Shield, Master-crafted Thunder Hammer
. Legiones Astartes: XVIII

+ Troops +

Legion Breacher Siege Squad [255pts]: 9x Legion Breacher Siege Space Marines
. Additional Wargear: Flamer, Meltagun
. Legion Breacher Siege Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolter, Thunder Hammer

Legion Tactical Squad [160pts]: Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines
. Additional Wargear: Bolters
. Legion Tactical Sergeant: Bolter

Legion Tactical Squad [160pts]: Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines

Legion Tactical Support Squad Flamer [235pts]: Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Space Marines
. Entire Squad may exchange their Flamers for:: Flamer
. Legion Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Flamer, Inferno Pistol

Legion Tactical Support Squad Meltagun [385pts]: Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Space Marines
. Entire Squad may exchange their Flamers for:: Meltagun
. Legion Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Inferno Pistol, Meltagun

+ Heavy Support +

Legion Caestus Assault Ram [305pts]
. Two wing mounted: Havoc Launcher

Legion Caestus Assault Ram [305pts]

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance:   XVIII: Salamanders, Loyalist

Rite of War: Orbital Assault

++ Total: [2500pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I will preface this by saying it's not the most competitive, so rather than suggesting just to run a standard net list, I'll comment on some tweaks on how to get the most out of your chosen units.

The Praetor is probably better being run in Terminator Armour. Salamanders struggle to sweep. I'd also question the necessity of the Thunder Hammer, and instead run it as a Paragon Blade. The At Initiative AP2 allows you to cut through Powerfist Sergeants who may attempt to take a number of Terminators down with them. he can this way at least Teleport in with the Terminators. Currently, he also has nowhere to go. Assuming the Terminators are teleporting in, the Praetor will not fit in the 10 Capacity Caestus with the Breachers, and the other Drop Pods are also full at 10 Capacity.

Firedrakes are okay, although I'd ideally like to see them in a Dreadclaw to give them some ablative armour (3 AV12 4+ Cover Saves is not to be sniffed at) on the first turn when they come down, as it's also an assault vehicle. Note that this means that your Firedrakes cannot run with the Praetor, as the Dreadclaw has a Capacity of 10. I wouldn't run them in a Caestus or Deep Strike, as that means that they can only come down on Turn 2 earliest (on a 3+, with no rerolls or bonuses to your reserve rolls, it's not a guarantee), and cannot assault until Turn 3. With no shooting, and their inability to run, they can be kited all day long.

Breachers; never mix Special weapons. It might seem wise, and there are niche cases when it's occasionally acceptable to mix weapons (like ZM), but in a typical battlefield, and especially when running an Orbital Assault list when you get to typically choose your fights, mixing weapons is a waste, especially with the possibility of Armoured Ceramite on your opponents favoured vehicles.  Either all flamer, or all melta is the way to go. Back it up with a Combi Weapon on the Sergeant also, so you can at least use it 3 times when you need to.

I'm really trying to think of a nice thing to say about 30 Bolter Tactical Marines without a Meltabomb, Powerfist, or even Combi-Weapon. They're just trash; they're the baseline, and comparatively good against many units in the wider 30K universe, but in the 30K game, you're only VSing Astartes. If you're deadset on running a Bolter-horde, at least take squads of 19 and put them in a Kharybdis with a Chaplain or Librarian (Fear, Rerolls, 3 Attacks each on the charge or Psychic buffs), but then that's still a lot of points spent on making crap stuff less crap, rather than on good things.

The Flamer Support Squads is overkill in one squad, and you're better off splitting them so that they can choose to fire at the same target if they wish. Drop Pod Meltaguns can be used to take on non AV14 Super Heavies even with Armoured Ceramite in that number, but as more and more sources of Interceptor become common (especially on blast weapons) this is becoming less useful. It's also not as though they are Tank Hunting with a +1 to penetrate, which is how Alpha Legion are able to use them super effectively. The Inferno Pistol is a waste of points as you cannot fire both Meltagun and inferno Pistol, and only has a 3" melta range, which only makes it okay for model assassination.

The Caestus are okay, if you're set on running them. Lovely, thematic vehicles. The Salamanders scheme is one of the nicest ones on them IMHO.

Thank you for the in-depth feedback.

The Praetor would ride in the C-Ram with the Drakes. Terminators don't count as bulky in a Caestus. But your right. Having them not assault until at least turn 3 is something to think about. So the dreadclaw is a good idea but then the Praetor definitely has to find a different ride.

I will play with changing the Praetor loadout as you suggested. However if he has to go with a downsized flamer squad then he must stay in Power Armor.

Remember this list is heavily based on things I already own (plastic drop pods). So the Tac Squads will stay as they are in the pods but maybe I can find points for the Sergeant upgrades.

And if I am going to do an Orbital Assault I really like the idea of the Rams and they do look really good painted as flamey hot rods And basically they would be the only major resin purchases. But relying on unmodified Reserve roles is an issue.

The flip side is if I take only two tanks (Raiders) to replace them then they are probably going to get blasted of the table turn 1.

Perhaps instead of ordering the caestus, you could look into a kharybdis or deathclaw? It fits the theme just as well or better, and it lets you lead with the heavy-hitters.

That frees up a ton of points for more upgrades or maybe an apothecary for the firedrake murder-bomb

Thank you for the in-depth feedback.

The Praetor would ride in the C-Ram with the Drakes. Terminators don't count as bulky in a Caestus. But your right. Having them not assault until at least turn 3 is something to think about. So the dreadclaw is a good idea but then the Praetor definitely has to find a different ride.

I will play with changing the Praetor loadout as you suggested. However if he has to go with a downsized flamer squad then he must stay in Power Armor.

Remember this list is heavily based on things I already own (plastic drop pods). So the Tac Squads will stay as they are in the pods but maybe I can find points for the Sergeant upgrades.

And if I am going to do an Orbital Assault I really like the idea of the Rams and they do look really good painted as flamey hot rods And basically they would be the only major resin purchases. But relying on unmodified Reserve roles is an issue.

The flip side is if I take only two tanks (Raiders) to replace them then they are probably going to get blasted of the table turn 1.

For some reason, I read that there were two Breachers, sorry about that. 

Why would you need to go with Power Armour for the Praetor if you put him in the Drop Pod? He just takes up 2 places. Rhino's are an exception, stating that they cannot carry Bulky+ size models.

Orbital Assault is all about get your guys on the table, in the right place. You trade your mid-late game speed for the ability to ignore up to 2 turns of enemy shooting, and put your units exactly where you need them to be. 500pts on Bolters is an utter waste, when you've already filled your Unit Taxes. That's not to say Breachers are anything good either, but they're a cool unit, and I don't want to say "strip them out" and gut your army, but 500pts of Bolters, especially when they're not Fearless.

Okay, fiddled around. Drop to two tac squads. Added more Terminator bodies in a Command Squad. Have 15pts left for something. I get that sending the Terminators in a Caestus is not super efficient but I just really like the Caestus.

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2485pts] ++

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion [375pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Dragonscale Storm Shield, Mantle of the Elder Drake, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, On Foot, Paragon Blade

. Master of the Legion

. . Terminator Command Squad, Legion: Cataphractii Terminator Armour

. . . Space Marine Chosen, Legion: Chainfist, Heavy Flamer

. . . Space Marine Chosen, Legion: Combi-Bolter, Power Fist

. . . Standard Bearer, Legion: Chainfist, Combi-bolter

+ Elites +

Firedrake Terminator Squad [350pts]: 4x Dragonscale Storm Shield, 4x Firedrakes, 4x Thunder Hammer

+ Troops +

Breacher Siege Squad, Legion [275pts]: 9x Breacher Siege Space Marines, Legion

. Additional Wargear: 2x Meltagun

. Breacher Siege Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Breacher Charge, Melta Bombs, Thunder Hammer

Tactical Squad, Legion [175pts]: Drop Pod, Legion, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolter, Melta Bombs

Tactical Squad, Legion [175pts]: Drop Pod, Legion, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Flamer [165pts]: Drop Pod, Legion, Flamer, 5x Space Marines, Legion, Support Squad

. Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Flamer, Melta Bombs

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Meltagun [360pts]: Drop Pod, Legion, Meltagun, 9x Space Marines, Legion, Support Squad

. Sergeant, Legion: Bolt Pistol, Meltagun

+ Heavy Support +

Caestus Assault Ram, Legion [305pts]

+ Allegiance +

and Allegiance, Legion: XVIII: Salamanders, Loyalist

++ Total: [2485pts] ++

Firedrakes in one Caesus, Breachers in the other ?

Or Firedrakes & Command unit in a Caestus each ?

Either way, you seem to be missing one transport if I am not mistaken.

Ah, it had been a while since I have played 7th. Can I not put two units in it? I was thinking Drakes and Praetor in one.

So, what if I drop command squad, Drakes and instead add Pyros in a Proteus with augury web and then a Cataphractii squad that will ride in the other Caestus.

Oh and change Praetor back to artificer armor and he can ride with Pyros.

Pyroclasts don't necessarily suck, but they sure do so as a unit for a Praetor.

Your Praetor is a melee beatstick and 'Clasts are 1 Attack per model ... so, not a good ride.

Personally, given your above list, I'd ditch the Command Squad, get a Primus Medicae in Cataphractii Armour, and have him and your Praetor join the Firedrakes in the Caestus, for a truely fearsome unit.

Okay, did as Unknown Legionaire suggested.

Still had about 175 points to play with so I added another drop pod, to make 5, and put some heavy flamers in it.

I know there are issues with the army. No real anti-armor until the Ceastus Rams show up. No long range fire power but with drop pods that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Salamander 30k Drop Ass. (BBCode)

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2499pts] ++

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion [187pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Mantle of the Elder Drake, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, On Foot, Paragon Blade, Volkite Charger

Primus Medicae [137pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Combi-Weapon, On Foot

. Consul: Primus Medicae

. Power Weapon: Power Axe

+ Elites +

+ Troops +

. Breacher Siege Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Breacher Charge, Melta Bombs, Thunder Hammer

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Flamer [165pts]: Drop Pod, Legion, Flamer, 5x Space Marines, Legion, Support Squad

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Meltagun [255pts]: Drop Pod, Legion, Meltagun, 5x Space Marines, Legion, Support Squad

. Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, Meltagun

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Support Squad, Legion Heavy Flamer [170pts]: Drop Pod, Legion, Heavy Flamer, 4x Space Marines, Legion

+ Allegiance +

and Allegiance, Legion:   XVIII: Salamanders, Loyalist

++ Total: [2499pts] ++

That's a lot better, but remember how a game will play out at 2500pts. For your turn 1, only three drop pods will come down. After that you have to survive a turn with only that on the table.

Next turn, you have to rely on a random 3+ roll for each other unit to come in from reserves. I'm not sure your alpha strike of a couple flamer squads and a melta squad will do enough damage to make up for the trickle of forces that'll be coming later. Remember, even if both flyers come in t2, you won't be charging anything until t3. That's your best-case scenario.

Not to say the caestus aren't cool, but I'm not sure they're suited for a pod list. In my opinion you're better off using two kharybdis pods, or switching to a more static list with rhinos and such, to keep more bodies on the table until you can get that firedrake bomb into the fight.

I'm not saying it won't work, but I know very well how unfun it is to have your army picked off in small pieces as it slowly drools out onto the table 2-3 units at a time.

Okay. Based on near future purchases and budget, this is the new list. Core is the same. Dropped Drakes for two Contemptor dreads and in heavy now is a 10 marine heavy squad with Auto-cannons.

Thats 7 pods. 4 on the initial drop. However the HQs are stuck with the support squads.

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2495pts] ++

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion [155pts]: Artificer Armour, Mantle of the Elder Drake, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, On Foot, Paragon Blade, Volkite Serpenta

Primus Medicae [115pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot

. Consul: Primus Medicae

. Power Weapon: Power Sword

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [630pts]

. Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Extra Armour, Multi-melta

. . Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod: Frag Assault Launchers

. . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Meltagun

. Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Extra Armour, Twin-linked Volkite culverin

. . Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod: Frag Assault Launchers

. . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Heavy Flamer

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad, Legion [185pts]: Drop Pod, Legion, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs

. . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Plasma gun

Tactical Squad, Legion [185pts]: Drop Pod, Legion, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs

. . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Plasma gun

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Meltagun [345pts]: Drop Pod, Legion, Meltagun, 8x Space Marines, Legion, Support Squad

. Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, Meltagun

+ Fast Attack +

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod [115pts]: Frag Assault Launchers

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Support Squad, Legion [325pts]: Autocannon, Drop Pod, Legion, 9x Space Marines, Legion

. Sergeant, Legion: Augury Scanner

+ Allegiance +

and Allegiance, Legion: XVIII: Salamanders, Loyalist

++ Total: [2495pts] ++

Archived