Destroyed dreadnought on a base

Hello fellow modelers and gamers!

I just ordered a Deredeo Dreadnought for my Death Guard, and I'd like to model a destroyed UM Dreadnought on the base. Here's a pretty cool idea of what I'm trying to achieve. 

CbK4mZFXIAADAzd.jpg

Do you guys have any recommendations for realistically modelling a destroyed dreadnought (i.e. battle damage and positioning on the base)? 

I would troll ebay for a while since i think theres still a good number of the plastic contemptors out there from people just needing a specific thing. Other consideration is buying used since youll hack it apart anyways.

As for the technique, I would advise not overdoing it on the stabby stab xacto battle damage. The pic you linked is a great example of balancing damage to the model and implied damage via paintwork.

My favorite way to destroy a model for a base is to actually destroy the model in a similar manner to what you are trying to achieve. My Slannesh FW greater daemon is stepping through the turret of a Baal predator tank. To model it I assembled a Baal predator turret I had lying around, I put it on a hard floor, and then I took a pair of plyers and smashed them through the top. The result looks like something large stepped on it. I then positioned a leg of the greater daemon in the middle of the hole in the turret.

I would troll ebay for a while since i think theres still a good number of the plastic contemptors out there from people just needing a specific thing. Other consideration is buying used since youll hack it apart anyways.

As for the technique, I would advise not overdoing it on the stabby stab xacto battle damage. The pic you linked is a great example of balancing damage to the model and implied damage via paintwork.

Since It'll be on a Deredeo base, I'm definitely not planning on having any gouging or cutting damage. I'd like to produce more explosion damage from a burst of plasma. Definitely a considerable amount of charring from burn marks. I don't really know how I should model the other side of blast damage showing on the armor. 

Yea makes sense. Maybe drill through it and use a pliers to work an exit wound “burst”?

I would caution about the open flame stuff, fumes suck and any effect you can get with fire is just as easy with paint or putty. More controllable too.

That said I think the example pic would be perfectly acceptable to replicate for plasma. May even be cool looking to try some OSL heat type effect too!

If the destroyed model is plastic (say a cheap hopeless rescue from eBay or a garage sale), you can use a plastic solvent glue to simulate melted armour from an energy weapon - safer and more controllable than using a flame IMO. Just damage it with a drill, roughen the opening with small pliers, and then add the solvent around the damaged opening. You can augment this effect with a little white PVA glue if you want - once its dry and painted suitably, this will look like the re-solidified molten metal that ran out from the hole.

An alternative is to use something like Oyumaru to make some rough moulds of parts of a dreadnought (or other model) that you own, and then use a cheap putty like Milliput to cast them up with. The moulds and casts don't need to be perfect by any means, and you can then damage them parts further as you wish. Once arranged on the base and with sand, rubble, and other scenic elements added, it will look very convincing.

Should you attempt to either burn the plastic or melt it with a solvent, please do it outdoors for your own health and safety :wink:

...Do you assemble models outdoors normally?

As long as the area is well ventilated, using solvent weld like Tamiya Extra Thin or EMA Plastic Weld will be fine. :thumbsup:

Should you attempt to either burn the plastic or melt it with a solvent, please do it outdoors for your own health and safety :wink:

...Do you assemble models outdoors normally?

As long as the area is well ventilated, using solvent weld like Tamiya Extra Thin or EMA Plastic Weld will be fine. :thumbsup:

Obviously, not. But there's in my opinion a significant difference in the amount of fumes you will get from assembling models and from activly melting a rather large one.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Right now I'm thinking of modelling the blast somewhere on the upper "torso" portion of the dreadnought armor and model it in such a way the blast has separated the upper have of the dreadnought from the lower half. Scorch marks around a puncture whole sounds like a pretty sweet idea I think I'll go for that. 

I recall the 3rd ed codex chaos sm has a demon prince ripping the corpse of a space marine out of his coffin in a dreadnought. Looks cool but might get you incarcerated!

Would you be able to link that image in this thread? 

Managed to find it online. 2001 French Golden Demon winner.

The photo in the codex is much higher quality but I don't want GW to come after three generations of my children.

http://demonwinner.free.fr/france/2001/F%202001%20staff%201%20Jerome%20Manouvrier.jpg

http://demonwinner.free.fr/france/2001/F%202001%20staff%201%20Jerome%20Manouvrier%202.jpg

http://demonwinner.free.fr/france/2001/golden_demon_winner.php?categorie=7&lang=fr

I would say heat a paper clip or other metal rod and then use that to poke holes in the plastic dread. Should model energy weapon and/or high velocity ap round damage perfectly.

Archived