Combining DG and Daemons in a detachment

• Daemon Prince can use Relics and Warlord traits, because he has the <Death Guard> keyword

You can't use any of the stratagems because you need to have a <Death Guard> detachment to use them, and the detachment you described will have <Nurgle> as it's faction keyword. If you're using this patrol alongside another detachment that has <Death Guard> as it's faction keyword then the other detachment will give you access to the stratagems so you're all good.

I thought relics and warlord traits aren't allowed either?

Hmm. The wording in the Relics page is "If your army is led by a DEATH GUARD Warlord, then before the battle you may give one of the following Relics of Decay to a DEATH GUARD CHARACTER"

For Warlord Traits, it reads "If a DEATH GUARD CHARACTER is your Warlord, he can generate a Warlord Trait from the following table instead of the one in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

The Prince seems to satisfy all those conditions because he is the Warlord, has the Death Guard keyword and is a Character. Have I missed something? Is he actually not a "Death Guard Warlord" because he's in a NURGLE detachment?

Dunno, I thought the stuff written at the beginning of the whole section adds the restrictions but then again it would also not allow to use the Codex psychic disciplin. A problem that never occured to me due not playing mixed detachments in the first place. ^^

The part I mentioned:

SCIONS OF

MORTARION
In this section you’ll find rules for Battle-forged armies that include DEATH GUARD
Detachments – that is, any Detachment which includes only DEATH GUARD units. These
rules include the abilities below and a series of Stratagems that can only be used by
the Death Guard. This section also includes the Death Guard’s uniqueWarlord Traits,
Psychic Discipline, Relics and Tactical Objectives. Together, these rules reflect the
character and fighting style of the Death Guard in your games ofWarhammer 40,000.

It is not allowed at all as per the big faq. The shared faction keyword of Chaos does not satisfy single detatchment rules.

1) You are referring to beta rules, not currently official.

2) Even in the beta rules, you can soup under the NURGLE faction.

Using nurglins in a DG army only stops you using stratagems, no real loss as they are so limited compared with other army stratagems

Or you can just break the detachment up. Why do you want to use the Daemon Prince from Death Guard and not from codex Chaos Daemons? They are the same price. Also, you can use Nurgle as the keyword. But the Daemon Prince in the CSM doesn't have the mark in the key words section so I don't think you can use it that way.

Aothaine, I'm using the DG Prince for the trait and relic combo of Revoltingly Resilient and the Suppurating Plate. It makes the Prince a tank in combat. In my opinion it is a lot better than what a Nurgle Prince can get from the daemon codex. 

Fair enough. Is the Nurgle key word in the right area on the prince in the DG book? In the CSM book it is not in the right area so you can't run a DP with daemons in the CSM codex.

• 2 months later...

It is not allowed at all as per the big faq. The shared faction keyword of Chaos does not satisfy single detatchment rules.

1) You are referring to beta rules, not currently official.

2) Even in the beta rules, you can soup under the NURGLE faction.

Beta yes. Also tournament standard.

No. Nurgle is not a faction keyword.

Also in common the the other CSM books, taking demons in the detachmant, since they are in the codex, causes you to lose the legion trait...however the alternative is to "summon" them.

Pay/plan the points but dont deploy them until later...works around all objections then.

Archived