Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Webway gate terrain & Harlequin codices - May

harlequins white dwarf WD terrain

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,769 posts

Au contraire, Midnight Sorrow can be truly ridiculous in the hands of a skilled player. I’ve never seen anything so capable of shutting down the enemy’s shooting plans. They could definitely make your opponent entirely rethink screening, or suffer the consequences. Especially when paired with flip belts...

But that’s a masque that really scales with skill level, in a way that won’t affect the way most people play 40k, I’d be willing to bet.

It really is up to your opponent not to maintain proper spacing between his units to allow you to daisy-chain. It also does absolutely nothing against them just falling back with the one engaged unit, and shooting the crap out of your elite 1 wound models. 

Proper spacing in this case means not allowing an enemy model to be able to get within 1" after a 6" move (after a 3" pile-in after a 2d6" charge after an 8+1d6" move). That's not exactly trivial, especially if you are trying to have board presence and get to objectives and what not yourself.

It's also going to be very difficult for non-FLY units to fall back from Harlequins as they just need surround one model enough that it can't get past any of them - and flip belts allowing them to move over enemy models to do so makes that very easy.

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,814 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech

I'm still new to 8th Ed so forgive me this question.. but units with "FLY" keyword can just jump the hell outta there even if surrounded...right?...ermm.gif

Mithril

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png PtR_Black_Pearl_Badge.jpgETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifETL_Medal_02.gifgallery_48988_6285_17537.pngETL_2016_Badge_10_Badge_of_the_Artificergallery_6494_6331_8260.pngETL_VI_Banner_02_Oathbraker_.jpg

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 533 posts
  • Faction: Space Marines, Necrons

I think so...they're allowed to move over models when they move...AFAIR. 

Of cource, you're not allowed to enter within 1" of an enemy model unless in the charge phase...so who knows?

Anything of mine that has fly though probably can chop its way out of it or can't be charged by the harlies anyway...except for maybe my stormtalon. Or destroyers, theoretically. And even then, if you've got your <FLY> heavy shooting dudes in melee you probably have bigger problems to worry about....

Dosjeska: But then again we are Iron Hands, we will use a hammer as a scalpel. Ace Debonair: Loyalists bow to The Emperor, Heretics bow to their Dark Gods, but everybody bows to Captain Semper. Brian Blaire: Bolted for emphasis

There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon [][] Laus Alit Artes-Praise Nourishes the Arts

ETL_Medal_01.gifETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_03_.jpggallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpgDawn Blades Iron Gauntlet Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Workshop

Dawn Blades: W/L/D: 1/7/1 wh40k 0/0/0 Kill Team

Naculan Dynasty: W/L/D: 0/0/0 wh40k 1/0/0 Kill Team

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,769 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

I'm still new to 8th Ed so forgive me this question.. but units with "FLY" keyword can just jump the hell outta there even if surrounded...right?...:ermm:

Mithril

Yes. That's why people mentioning that tactic also mention non-FLY units as in the post right above yours. ;)
  • wildweasel likes this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Mekhitar

Mekhitar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 207 posts
  • Faction: Ashen Wing, Mercurial Legion
It’s not difficult to pull off a 3-point pin when the assaulting unit (I do it with seraphim constantly; grab a cultist, guardsman, or tac marine.) The enemy now cannot fall back, so your only threats come from psykers and from assaults. You won’t get shot.

Harlies can pull off the same thing with their flip belts and an extra 6” consolidate. Throw a spare harlie or two at a nearby tank during the post-combat consolidate and it doesn’t even get overwatch. Sure, you haven’t locked the tank, but it can’t shoot that turn. (Fly tanks excepted.) and next turn, they can do it all over again.

It’s pretty sweet. I’d throw a harlie patrol in my eldar list just for the sheer shutdown flexibility they offer.

It’s not a mindless/straightforward play style - there is definitely a learning curve to pulling it off - but it’s major advantage is, it will throw off even the people who are very good st judging distances and screening their tanks. The amount of movement and variability it introduces, up and beyond what any other army it there has, means that defaulting to “safe screening as usual” could get you in serious trouble.

Like I said. Not for everyone. I don’t know that -I- could pull it off to the full extent (I’d love to try!) but I have certainly played against folks who could, and will!

Edited by Mekhitar, 18 May 2018 - 01:57 PM.

Do you hear the people sing?

Irbis

Irbis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,215 posts

He, that has to be one of the best GW promos ever:

whistlingW.gif

• Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra, Noserenda, Captain Smashy Pants and 7 others like this

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 533 posts
  • Faction: Space Marines, Necrons
The Duncan finisher was amazing.

Also, loved the evil laugh the guy inserted. Did some unit get a major buff? That’s what I’m thinking, and that’s what worries me.
  • Kierdale and Battybattybats like this

Dosjeska: But then again we are Iron Hands, we will use a hammer as a scalpel. Ace Debonair: Loyalists bow to The Emperor, Heretics bow to their Dark Gods, but everybody bows to Captain Semper. Brian Blaire: Bolted for emphasis

There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon [][] Laus Alit Artes-Praise Nourishes the Arts

ETL_Medal_01.gifETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_03_.jpggallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpgDawn Blades Iron Gauntlet Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Workshop

Dawn Blades: W/L/D: 1/7/1 wh40k 0/0/0 Kill Team

Naculan Dynasty: W/L/D: 0/0/0 wh40k 1/0/0 Kill Team

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,769 posts
We’ve seen lots of points drops already. They have their own version of Warptime. Apparently the haywire cannon and prismatic cannon are now Assault.

Aegir_Einarsson

Aegir_Einarsson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Great video:)

gallery_38474_6916_27314.jpg

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 472 posts
That video is classic, and that guy must drink a lot of coffe and smoke a lot because his teeth were sooo yellow.
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Calyptra

Calyptra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 605 posts
  • Faction: Dark Eldar

That video is classic, and that guy must drink a lot of coffe and smoke a lot because his teeth were sooo yellow.

Whiteface makes your teeth look yellow.
ETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Xenos_DrukarETL_VI_Badge_Artisan.jpggallery_30308_9518_10445.pnggallery_30308_9518_5763.png
My project logs:
Drug-Crazed Space Elves
Stupid Humans
You can find me on Instagram twice! Hobby stuff and art/circus stuff

Withershadow

Withershadow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,847 posts

What about that one tooth that is desperately trying to escape? Is that due to whiteface too? tongue.png

The way he was painting is totally how I started back in the 90s, just glob it on straight out of the pot.  Where was Duncan with his two thin layers then?! WHERE?!

Edited by Withershadow, 21 May 2018 - 03:46 AM.

• jeremy1391 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: harlequins, white dwarf, WD, terrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users