Building Mutants

Nemerax

A recent visit to a "rogue store", while visiting some relatives, I discovered an unsold Box of Forsaken (Instantly bought). With that a question rose to mind. I played back in the 3rd Edition so I had a couple of Mutation sprues left, some online hunting and paying high price I got my hands on an unused mutation sprue from back then by now. So I finally got the "best" sprues for mutants in an unused state as blueprints...

Sadly there is no way to replicate those things a friend of mine told me, too expensive (GW´s fault for not making them anymore I think that way).

This said, how do you guys build mutants besides the Chaos Spawn/Barbarian Stuff that Age of Sigmar offers?

Doing mutations for a couple of models with greenstuff is ok, but we talking about dozens to fill a Mutant Rabble.

When Games Workshop released a mutant box back in the original Eye of Terror campaign, I think it included that mutation sprue, a Catachan sprue, an Ork boy sprue and a Fantasy Zombie sprue. They mixed quite well and would be a nice throwback to the 3rd edition days, if that's your thing :happy.:

Jo00RQm.jpg

Mix-and-matching kits like Orks, fantasy Ghouls, Catachans, and even the old fantasy Zombies is quite effective, and you don't even have to resort to using tentacles or anything (Edit: as Qkhitai mentions!)

Other kits worth a mention are the fantasy plastic Skaven (especially the Plague Monks), fantasy plastic Ungors and Gors (your classic Beastmen), and the rather pricey Spawn kit (which has absolutely tons of weird-looking tentacles/spines/eyes/things, as well as two big mutated bodies).

Finally, if you're willing to consider non-GW, have a look at the plastic Gnolls and plastic Cultists for Frostgrave. They mix quite well with the sprues above too, so you should be able to get absolutely loads of variation if you want to! :wink:

I have a pretty good bitz collection here are some of the kits Ive bashed together for my mutants:

-AoS Flagellants
-AoS Ghouls and Zombies
-Orks

-Genestealer Cultists (*particularly good if you are wanting mass shotguns)
-Kroot

A few pics from my blog just for examples:

http://ikaranchronicles.blogspot.ca/2017/09/the-sybaris-rebellion-i.html

http://ikaranchronicles.blogspot.ca/2017/09/sybaris-rebellion-ii.html

http://ikaranchronicles.blogspot.ca/2017/09/sybaris-rebellion-iii.html

Thank you very much guys. I have the Eye of Terror book, probably how most of us ended up here :D

Unfortunately GW does not sell any of those cool sprues anymore, I never could get these legendary mutant package from back then...

I am very thankful and appreciate your recommendations. I googled that topic a couple of times already and did not find half as much usable stuff.

I guess it is time to hunt for some bits on ebay and I really like those non GW recommendations, a little bit not GW is allowed by the rules.

Amazing job on those Mutants Akrim :tu:

Amazing job on those Mutants Akrim :thumbsup:

Thank you sir, they are my favorite cannon fodder :wink:

Not sure if you guys may have something similar in Germany but in my city we have a Buy/Sell/Trade group on Facebook. It can be a good way to hunt for parts without dealing with shipping, ebay costs, etc. Im sure lots of those sprues/parts still lurk in the bottom of a lot of peoples bitz boxes.

Archived