Centurion Devastators

Deathwalker

I will, but only in narrative games because the story matters more than winning.

Therr is a thread lying around this forum and the Astartes forum on this subject; the overall concensus is that this unit is severely overcost for capability. Thus, it is a liability at competative levels, even with a friend.

I will, but only in narrative games because the story matters more than winning.

Therr is a thread lying around this forum and the Astartes forum on this subject; the overall concensus is that this unit is severely overcost for capability. Thus, it is a liability at competative levels, even with a friend.

Even with the RG -1 to hit them?

What I was thinking was leaving them backfield with an Aprothacary to heal them and using them as dedicated A-T troopers. Even with a third or less of the wounds of say 3 Dreadnaughts, they should be pretty survivable.

Would people actually dedicate A-T weapons on them to delete them off the board?

Yes, even with the modifier.

Overall, it's their cost that is the barrier. So, if you are spending points on them, then you are also reducing the pool to have more effective, and numerous, units to battle.

Frankly, they are too big to ignore because even at their cost, they can still pump out heavy damage. So, they certainly wear targets on their chest.

Ultimately, unless you already own the models, then I would proxy them and give them a try. What may not work for others may work for you ^_^

Please share their performance with us!

Edited by Race Bannon

I look at it this way ... because I love the models and would include them in my Primaris in a heart beat ... if it weren’t for the fact I can get 3 Aggressors for the price of 1 Centurian Devestator. Make it a 2:1 ratio (with a proper power fist) and I’d build a 5 man squad for SftS before the check cleared.

As was mentioned, they are too expensive because you're paying for their arm guns, plus their boobie guns.

They're not bad when you take sone heavy bolters, but then you have to tack on a bunch more points for the hurricane bolters or the missiles. And who really needs more heavy bolters in a Marine army? You already have boat loads of anti infantry fire on every other unit in your army.

I guess you could use them for Hellfire Shell platforms that can move around, but Devastators do that better now with a cherub.

Opponents will expend AT fire on Centurions because they only have three wounds each and no invulnerable save. A single oppoaing lascannon shot can often remove two lascannons and some missiles for each dead Centurion.

They could be useful against something like Orks, but no one plays Orks anymore. MEQ armies don't really care about the -1 to hit.

If you're set on Centurions, try Assault Centurions. Their siege drills are free!

I haven't tried Centurion Devastators but I have recently tried the assault variety. Whilst not quite the answer to your question, and at the risk of going slightly off topic, thought I'd share my experience. I took a unit of 3 against an AM army. I got first turn and had used SFTS and set them up as close as possible to the opponents right flank. Over the course of 2 turns managed to delete 2 units of guardsmen and a unit of Scions which were dropped next to them.

Whilst they didn't quite make their points back, and didn't get to take advantage of the -1 hit bonus, I got to drop them right in the enemys face where they could not be ignored. My opponent even wasted a unit of Scions with special weapons that were originally destined for my backfield. I went on to win.

Quite anecdotal I know but I enjoyed em that game haha.

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s my 2 Cents on the Cents !

1) Centurions on 8th are an extremely expensive all around support units. They are too expensive to be purpose built for one specific purpose and they will most likely get more mileage when geared for a constant fire support base capable of engaging multiple targets.

Ex : Lascans and Hurricane Bolters (start by gibbing the biggies, finish infantry that comes close)

Grab Cannons and Missile Launcher

Missiles and Heavy Bolters

The list needs to be around them. They are so expensive that they will have to be the firepower centerpiece and completed with tons of Troops to ensure bodies !

At 1000 points, I would go for 3 Deva Centurions + 25 Tacticals + HQ. 30 Tacticals if it’s a cheap HQ.

Deploy Tacticals as bait, deep strike prevention and diversion and wait to deploy the Centurions where they can be. 6 Lascannons will do tremendously well against most véhicules and range and cover should give you the ability to isolate and destroy priority targets early on.

The hurricanes give you roughly the same firepower as 2 Tacticals, it’s significant anti horde potential and concentrated fire.

2) For RG they can work against gunline armies with the -1 to hit, but I have the feeling that they will miss out on other gifts from the RG, namely the Stratagem.

If I were to use Cents, I’d go for the Assault variants (for the price of 3 Devas, you get 5 Assault !) and do a very mean Strike from the Shadows !

I feel Devastators Centurions will get more mileage with Imperial Fists.

They can still be super effective in the Raven Guard as long as you discipline your game around them being the only support units and fill the rest of the list with Tacticals.

As others have stated Centurions are just way too over costed. Which is a shame because they are some of the most beautiful space marine models GW has released imho.

I want to field an army of these guys so bad but I cannot justify their cost. It is literally putting yourself at a massive disadvantage if you field them.

Though I am going to have to look at the heavy bolter variant again. I might be able to do something with that...

• 1 year later...

Not raising the dead technically as this is relevant now...With the new Codex out and these guys getting a points drop and added wound etc...

How are they looking nowadays ?!? ... 

Mithril

p.s i have been given a box of em and was wondering what to run them as :tongue.: ... i want to go Dev with them but not sure of a loadout!?...

The points drop is nice, but the weapons are still expensive. That's always been the falling down point of Centurion Devastators.

If someone forced me top take some in a list, I'd go with lascannons. The extra wound and our new CT mean they're going to be able to weather one additional heavy weapon shot per model before they die. On average anyways.

If you're after dakka instead, hurricanes and heavy bolters are ok. Hurricanes during Tactical Doctrine will hurt a lot. 36 shots a turn at -1Ap is nothing to sneeze at. I ran my Assault Centurions on Saturday with the old book and they dominated against anything on foot and soaked a lot of AT fire. They'll be even better now.

Grav is cute, but falls in a Strength range that is covered by other weapons. Maybe if you know you'll face a lot of Primaris?

Whatever you take, know they're a point defense unit. 4" of movement means you find a spot you want defended, and they keep things away. They used to be the best users of Auspex Scan, but that's gone now. Reinforcements dropping in might give them a hard time.

I have been doing some hardcore math on Assault Centurions for RG - with STFS (or maybe our new Chapter Trait) they could be very strong.

They went down from 53 to 30 points

This makes them 156 for 3 with 2x Flamer, Siege Drills, and Hurricane Bolters. 

With Bolter Discipline you will crank out 36 Bolter Shots at up to 24" (after 4" Move and 9" SFTS this is effectively a 37" threat range)

They also get 6D6 flamer hits as well - this is all with ignore cover (the leader still has an omniscope)

They also got +1A each in addition to +1W

So on the charge the unit gets 13 Str10 Ap -4 Dmg 3 attacks

This is anywhere from 17 to 27 wounds depending on Chapter Master/Captain/LT/No Buffs nearby - which isn't shabby for 156 points - nearly 70 points cheaper.

It might even be worth considering taking a blob of 6 (at 312 points), giving them support and having them form a mini deathstar you can walk up the board and delete a chaff unit a turn then mulch the juicy stuff in H2H behind them.

Food for thought. I think depending on our unique Chapter Trait, Strategems, WL Traits, etc this could be a new RG allstar unit.

So...if i had Assault Cents with Siege drills and Flamers with Hurricane bolters coming out of a Stormraven with twin -plasma cannon and twin-M-Melta

(that's the way i made the stormy years ago :blush.: ) that would make a nice in your face suprise right!?...

a lot of my other units are quite shooty... 

Mithril