My House Terryn Knights

The gold on those shoulders looks really good, the method really pops on those big chunky areas of trim.

Also really like the red on the tips of your missiles. Not sure why, I guess it seems slightly subtler and more menacing than a brighter red might.

And some progress on the Helverins.

gallery_65134_9442_71833.jpg

As some noted earlier, the Castellan was my best painted knight yet.

A lot of this explained by vastly improved painting conditions in the form of new paints, new brushes and better primer to some extent. Was really underestimating how much harder it was to do when your main paints weren't entirely up to snuff, the blue and gold in particular. There's a pretty noticeable difference between these and the warglaives i painted some month ago (as well my years older knights).

Since I had a few spares from buying several knights, I tried painting up a new face plate for my older knights to see the difference and its pretty favorable:

gallery_65134_9442_13227.jpg

(probably did overuse Reikland a little bit, as the gold almost looks more like copper than gold)

Wondering if I should try and hunt down replacement armor panels for some of the older knights, but it's probably more trouble (and costly) than it's worth...

The gold and blue is very striking and well done. It is obvious that you spent quite some time on them. Might I suggest applying some washes and light weathering on the silvery metal? They seem so textureless in contrast to the other parts of the miniature, so I really think that just some washes and drybrushing or sponges would go a long way and be quite quick and easy to do. :)

Actually I'm an avid user of washes, but I can and will do more with some at some point. Everything has gotten a liberal wash of nuln oil, but the drybrushing of both iron breaker and some necron compound might have brightened them up a bit much. Will do more selective shading with agrax and seraphim down the line.

Also the lighting is probably contributing to making the metal look even flatter in the photos. 

I appreciate the advice nonetheless :yes:

Ah, sounds good! It might be the lighting that plays tricks on me :) Have you tried heat-damaging the barrels? That's one way to make a lot of silvery metal a bit more textured, and just requires a little wash here and there. It might be interesting to use on the Castelan, seeing as he's a lumbering battle fortress with plenty of guns to fire.

Here's a quick tutorial from my favorite guide on painting techniques.

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/09/how-to-paint-heat-stained-gun-barrels.html

One of my favourite tutorials to be sure :wink:

So far the only weapon I've done this on is the Crusader's Avenger:

gallery_65134_9442_170575.jpg

I am a bit selective with which weapons I try it on. Never done it on any autocannon style weapons (would they get hot enough?) and I am bit unsure how it'd look on my melta style weaponry (which certainly do get hot enough!) because I give them a coppery muzzle rather than straight metal. Will it still look alright?

The castellans volcano lance would make sense for sure. I probably just got thrown off by the.. well knobbly bits on the barrel.

Well this is annoying, it seems that both my nuln oil and my agrax earthshade are producing the grey white areas they sometimes have the propency to do either due to age or being contaminated or both.... and I'm pretty much sure I have no recourse at this point other than to just toss them out and wait for replacements.

Does anyone know if there's any other thing to be done?

Does anyone know if there's any other thing to be done?

I've noticed this too.  Unfortunately, once the paint goes bad I'm not sure there's any way to recover it.

Once had a batch of matte varnish that did the same thing. Turned the entire, fully painted model gradually grayish white when it dried. Heartbreaking :sad.:

Dude, I seriously felt your pain on this one.  Mine was with an older can of primer on a slightly cold day, which ended up turning my models into a crusty mess.  Luckily I stopped after the 30th or so model . . . :ermm:

Alright, the helverins are pretty much done now, bases and all.

Got my new shades so might still go over and apply selective agrax and seraphim sepia as needed.

gallery_65134_9442_114306.jpg

Also did some more rework on the Warglaives to make them feel them feel more akin to the Helverins.gallery_65134_9442_230209.jpg

Finally, the base of the Castellan was exceedingly dull, so I've made some minor additions

gallery_65134_9442_193255.jpg

I'm a bit hesitant of adding more because it usually ends up losing all rhyme and reason when I add 'lots'.

I already can't really explain why the shattered stone plates are seemingly out in the wilderness for no apparent reason.

I already can't really explain why the shattered stone plates are seemingly out in the wilderness for no apparent reason.

Bunch a household retainers running around, picking up the stones and putting them down where the Dominus treads so it never have to touch the ground is clearly the only reasonable explanation.

Archived