My House Terryn Knights

Thanks for the comments everyone!

With how my experiment of painting some spare knight helms turned out, my path was pretty much set and this is a work in process shot on that front now. Not a new knight, an old member with a new coat of paint, literally (well repainting is limited ot the armor panels pretty much)

gallery_65134_9442_54612.jpg

Overall he looks pretty similiar unless you're used to what he looked like before... and any redone armour plates weren't gonna mix nice with the old.

And the other two up to a similiar stage. Lots done, but lots left to do.

gallery_65134_9442_228470.jpg

I never actually got the previous knight codex (7th edition) which I believe also detailed that two vertical stripers along the main chassis signifies that the pilot of the knight is a baron. It was just an aesthetic choice I made on the crusader because I thought it looked neat (i even went ahead and had the two lines on the helm as well) so I was surprised that to find the information in the 8th edition codex, as it made the crusader the senior member of my knight team.

Now i'm debating wether I want to reapply them as I repaint him. I figure I might as well, I repainted the helm and decided to go with the same design there again so it might look a bit odd without it now. I'm not sure I want him as my overal team leader, but having multiple barons in the same Knight questing party doesn't seem too strange I don't think? At the very least I'm being forced to think about the fluff off my knights a bit more concretely now. I suppose.

EDIT: and I should be glad i didn't glue the pieces on, given that there's no reason or rhyme to how I attached the shin guards.

My goodness, your rate of completions is outstanding! :D  Nevermind the fact that you keep the standard of quality going for each Knight.  One wonders when you'll be satisfied with your Knightly House! :lol:

Sometimes it pays off to be the posterboy paint scheme.

Always, my friend :D  It's one of the reasons I went Hammers of Sigmar for my Stormcast army in AoS :P

Aaand more or less finished the repainting of the old trio (the more or less is because I noticed a few things as I was photoing them, but I'll never get this done if I don't take the new pictures already)

Rather than post all the new pictures in this post here, I've updated my original post which lists all the new and old knights. But to give an idea of how the repaint turned out I'll post some smaller side my side comparisons of the new and old in this post:

First, the Errant:

med_gallery_65134_9442_368440.jpgmed_gallery_65134_9442_687868.jpg

The Paladin:

med_gallery_65134_9442_210692.jpgmed_gallery_65134_9442_859595.jpg

The Crusader:

med_gallery_65134_9442_225303.jpgmed_gallery_65134_9442_62368.jpg

Perhaps to the surprise to noone by now, I've decided to repaint the armour panels of the Warglaives I did a while back, which are the last of the models I did with the sub par older paints i had.

med_gallery_65134_9442_1199469.jpg

Less of a dramtic difference, but they all look pretty uniform together now. Still a few things left to do as well...

Looking great, I will call that skull Winston(Guess what that's from). My paints are acting up too, had my Armiger shoulder peel on me the other day. Dam this heat!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got tired of waiting for Canis Rex to come out. Plan was to use the Forgeworld upgrade kit and Canis Rex to make a really stand out champion model to lead my house. That's still somewhat of a long term goal,but after reading the lore on Preceptors, it seems they're often used as a sort of mentor/trainer of young nobles rather than the head of a family or similiar.

So now I am instead using the bits for a champion Gallant to lead my house. As I said, long term I still plan on adding a pilot and the new helm from the Canis Rex kit, so I'm keeping the top unglued for now.

Here's a picture of the Gallant dryfitting the painted Forgeworld bits

gallery_65134_9442_449360.jpg

Debating on wether I should be giving him the two "Baron stripes" up top on his carpace, or should I give him the single thick stripe? Codex says the thick stripe is for the "High monarch" only, so does that mean only one knight at one time has this stripe? The mechanicum equivalent that has the a single stripe is noted as a "princeps", which doesn't neccessarily sound like a title there can only be one of... or am I just misunderstanding that there in fact is only one Princeps in a mechanicum house?

Does any of this even matter or should I just go with the thick stripe to look cool?

Codex says the thick stripe is for the "High monarch" only, so does that mean only one knight at one time has this stripe? The mechanicum equivalent that has the a single stripe is noted as a "princeps", which doesn't neccessarily sound like a title there can only be one of... or am I just misunderstanding that there in fact is only one Princeps in a mechanicum house?

Does any of this even matter or should I just go with the thick stripe to look cool?

Yeah, in both cases you'd really only ever have a single 'High King/Monarch' or a single 'Princeps' in a House - at least if you're going by canonical fluff. I don't know of any official Knight Houses that deviate from this (though if you have a custom house, I don't see why you couldn't potentially have 'twin rulers' or something).

Most of the 'official' Houses - Terryn for example - have a named current 'High King' or similar who would also has a specific Knight he rides around in also. (Terryn's current ruler is High King Tybalt Terryn, who pilots a Knight Warden).

Some don't however, Taranis doesn't have a named in lore Princeps in the modern 40K period for example.

All this said, it's just fluff. If you want to paint a white stripe down the middle of your model - do so! I like fluff adherence personally, but that's a rule I hold myself to, never others :smile.: - express yourself buddy! :biggrin.:

Yeah, I'm going with the stripe though I adhere pretty strictly to fluff too. However, like with my Black Templar force though, perhaps this isn't a current M41 era force but rather a historical one, which gives me the lee way needed to make a historical high king... Though perhaps i would fluff wise have wanted him to be higher non royal noble. Maybe a count or duke or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while. Am still slowly advancing the painting of my Champion knight... and also been working on one more Helverin and one more Warglaive to round out their numbers to the max "squad size" you can fit in a single detachment choice (and it matches the available squad markings on transfer sheets).

To make the latter slightly more interesting I've gone a lttile off the track and included some extra colors. The red blue was inspried by the design of the warglaive on the cover of LE codex. And then a 'leadership' stripe on the head helverin (Not really meant to imply its housing a high king in the armiger though...)

gallery_65134_9442_300709.jpg

Top carapace and helmet is still not glued on on the proper knight, because i still plan on swiping a few items from the Canis Rex kit, whenever that finally shows up.

gallery_65134_9442_47544.jpg

Also took a picture of all the baby knights together (at any earlier stage of paiting) to see wether the balance of blue still works and I guess it works ok?

Archived