Codex: DW next week

Irbis

See here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/29/the-leviadon-emerges-legends-return-and-the-deathwatch-strike/

Next week also sees the release of Codex: Deathwatch – your complete guide to the 41st Millennium’s most elite alien hunters. Codex: Deathwatch allows you to field what could well be Warhammer 40,000’s most versatile army, featuring Mission Tactics, Stratagems and an expanded list of weapons that can use Special Issue Ammunition, allowing your units to take out nearly any xenos threat and tailor their strategies on the fly.

What’s more, you’ll be able to assemble your Primaris Space Marines into Fortis Kill Teams – mixed formations that allow you to combine the strengths of Intercessors, Reivers, Aggressors and Inceptors into a cohesive and powerful whole. We’re very excited about this codex, and we’ll be running some in-depth previews next week to help you prepare!

...ombine the strengths of Intercessors, Reivers, Aggressors and Inceptors...

1. No mention of Hellblasters

2. Why are they still mixing high movement models like Inceptors into these units. Not the most positive sign of them learning anything.

No Hellblasters mentioned is a little concerning, but maybe as far as DW are concerned, they're just intercessors with plasma guns.

Aside from that, I like what I'm hearing. The big draw for DW (and Sternguard before that) for me was the SIA allowing them to be like swiss army knife troops. With strategems now, they really have the chance to be versatile. I like the idea of tailoring your tactics/strategems as you face different opponents rather than your list/loadouts.

Excited for all the preview articles this week!

I hope the new SIA compatible weapons include H.Bolters and not only Primaris Roid bolters. I hope Hellblasters are in the Fortis Kill Teams (lol) aswell, plasma is king and I got 5 of them undercoated for ETL.

“expanded list of weapons that can use Special Issue Ammunition” mwahahahhahaha (evil laugh)

Hellblasters are not troops but heavy support.....I suppose this is the reason......or they just forgot to mention.

Hopefully intercessors with SIA won’t cost 21 points or more...to be competitive we need an overall point reduction.

Lets see what happens...

Yes! YES! YES! Finally. 

Oh man I've been farting around in 8th for so long with armies waiting for this Codex! (pleasebegood, pleasebegood)

I'm just asking for decent. I don't need to blow the doors off the tournament scene... just give me a chance!

I'm perfectly fine with the Primaris additions. It is inevitable. We've talked about this a lot in the Deathwatch forums. It's a matter of fixing some very primary borked issues with weaponry, and functionality within units, and transports.

This may sound silly but I'm also looking forward to the new artwork. I know a lot of it will be recycled but throughout 8th we've seen glimpses of the artwork for Primaris that features Deathwatch units.... and they look good!

Looking forward to it!

Aside from the SIA update and hopefully point value changes, I do hope they've lightened the equipment restrictions on HQs and maybe even squeezed the Killteam Cassius characters in there... but beggars can't be choosers... ;)

I'm really glad to hear that special issue ammo is being allowed on more than just plain bolters now.  If storm bolters (which hopefully means terminators too!) can be loaded with SIA and they are costed properly, this could be we get a pretty strong codex.  I'm not going to hold my breath, but I am excited for the codex!

Give us some access to more characters - apothecary and techmarine pop up loads in the stories and background and it would be nice to have them tabletop.

I’m hoping they carry over the old alpha, bravo, tertiary (?) objectives we could choose from and the different tactics per turn somehow. The thing I loved about Deathwatch was the many different ways they could be played and utilized game to game, even if you never changed your list.

Yay, the other Imperial army I have tough it will probably invalidate some of my built minis say the Vangards I just built. Then again I suspect most of my models regardless of army arn't optimal for WYSIWYG gaming.

No Hellblasters mentioned is a little concerning, but maybe as far as DW are concerned, they're just intercessors with plasma guns.

Aside from that, I like what I'm hearing. The big draw for DW (and Sternguard before that) for me was the SIA allowing them to be like swiss army knife troops. With strategems now, they really have the chance to be versatile. I like the idea of tailoring your tactics/strategems as you face different opponents rather than your list/loadouts.

Excited for all the preview articles this week!

I was thinking the same about hellblasters, but then actually they could be OP.

I'm guessing the inclusion of different primaris models in a unit will give buffs in the same way we currently build kill teams (i.e. add a biker for relentless assault, terminator for unflinching etc.)

I would hazard a guess that the mixed primaris units will be based around intercessors with SIA. You then add in models and get their buffs:

Reivers - terror troops and possibly shock grenade

Aggressors - fire storm 

Inceptors - crushing charge

Hellblasters with the fire storm rule would be amazing - probably OP. I really do hope we get that option though!

everybody's either happy or sad about the primaris inclusion - I dont see it as that big of a deal / game changing. 

Point decreases and SIA on more weapons will be interesting. 

But what's most interesting is often overlooked - we are getting mission tactics back! ( not stratagems, but actual mission tactics) So there might be the " reroll 1s hits and wounds against enemy "ELITEs" - or FAST ATTACK - or TROOPs. So you can adapt to your opponent and put more hurt out towards them. 

I really hope there will be DW primaris HQ mini and upgrade sprue to match all other SM so far. Is it too much to ask? :dry.:

SIA on anything Primaris is potentially exciting. I really hope they expand the wargear options for Primaris in general -- I know they won't, but I wish they would; I don't mind kitbashing for sure.

Man, if there would be SIA option for Inceptors or Agressors, I can already see tearworks that will open everywhere crying 'OP' :whistling:

As it is, lack of Hellblaster mention is a bit concerning, but frankly, are they really needed? Bolt rifle is -1AP after all, combined with vengeance rounds it will be effectively pocket plasma for much less points. Ditto with 2+ to wound ammo, primaris with that will be really scary, especially seeing range of their guns. Deep striking reivers with SIA bolt carbines? Yes please. Though, hopefully Phil Kelly was banned from this book, or primaris will only get access to SIA on their bolt pistols or something equally inane :sick:

One thing I wonder about, what will happen to stalker bolters? Primaris version is kinda garbage compared to DW one, but they are named the same. Will one of them will be renamed, or will their rules be unified in either direction? Hopefully it won't be 'nerf DW one' pick...

One thing I wonder about, what will happen to stalker bolters? Primaris version is kinda garbage compared to DW one, but they are named the same. Will one of them will be renamed, or will their rules be unified in either direction? Hopefully it won't be 'nerf DW one' pick...

Don't see why they would have to rename the weapons as they have different names - Stalker Pattern Boltgun vs Stalker Bolt Rifle.

I've been holding on Deathwatch since the beginning of 8th edition (gave them a test run but no hobby to speak of). SIA on most Primaris bolt weapons would be the kickstart I need to get into painting mode.

Waiting and hoping...

I think my guess, is that Primaris may have their own entire set of SIA... Especially considering that Kraken Bolts are a Primaris Rifle anyway!

Also keeps the older models relevant and not have to rewrite loads more profiles for the ols SIA and make them compatible Primaris weapons.

Good news all around.  Early thoughts:

-Primaris additions are excellent for increasing flexibility, though whether they'll be able to "deep strike" teleport or if we'll gain access to a Deathwatch Repulsor has yet to be seen.

-Expanded SIA is tempting, though remember that GW will factor this into the base cost of units (as they do with Veterans etc.) and that could ultimately be a deal-breaker from a cost-to-benefits analysis (emphasis on COULD).

-Combat Tactics is still a mystery.  Hoping it's not remaining the "unit roles" concept as this is highly counter-intuitive to Xenos Hunters (IMHO) and we get something truly interesting.

-No mention of Techmarines, Apothecaries or Primaris Characters in general.  Hoping for all of the above to find their way into C: DW 8th edition! :)

Archived