Codex: DW next week

Irbis

I would hazard a guess that the mixed primaris units will be based around intercessors with SIA. You then add in models and get their buffs:

Reivers - terror troops and possibly shock grenade

Aggressors - fire storm 

Inceptors - crushing charge

Hellblasters with the fire storm rule would be amazing - probably OP. I really do hope we get that option though!

^This is why traditionally we saw mixed squads in 7th.

Although Primaris wise, I personally believe an Inceptor giving the ability to leave CC and shoot, is a better buff. I always hated getting stuck in with the Frag Cannons.

I think you guys are right about Hellblasters. There's a chance we won't see that mixed squad thing just based on them being the only truly functional Primaris unit. :)

everybody's either happy or sad about the primaris inclusion - I dont see it as that big of a deal / game changing. 

Point decreases and SIA on more weapons will be interesting. 

But what's most interesting is often overlooked - we are getting mission tactics back! ( not stratagems, but actual mission tactics) So there might be the " reroll 1s hits and wounds against enemy "ELITEs" - or FAST ATTACK - or TROOPs. So you can adapt to your opponent and put more hurt out towards them. 

+ I agree. I really don't see the big deal about Primaris. If they work, great. If not, I'll live. I'm FAR more interested in them fixing the baseline mechanics of the army and getting a form of 'mission tactics' back is more along that line of thinking.

I really hope there will be DW primaris HQ mini and upgrade sprue to match all other SM so far. Is it too much to ask? :dry.:

SIA on anything Primaris is potentially exciting. I really hope they expand the wargear options for Primaris in general -- I know they won't, but I wish they would; I don't mind kitbashing for sure.

Man, if there would be SIA option for Inceptors or Agressors, I can already see tearworks that will open everywhere crying 'OP' :whistling:

+ SIA on Reivers please. Love the concept of Reivers, but they are hot garbage. SIA? I may put them back in my lists.

Good news all around.  Early thoughts:

-Primaris additions are excellent for increasing flexibility, though whether they'll be able to "deep strike" teleport or if we'll gain access to a Deathwatch Repulsor has yet to be seen.

-No mention of Techmarines, Apothecaries or Primaris Characters in general.  Hoping for all of the above to find their way into C: DW 8th edition! :smile.:

+ I thought DW had Repulsor access right now? No? Anyway, I'm sure it's a given since it's their only valid transport.

How about an Ancient? I'd love to see that too, and to be honest anything that sells models is probably something GW is willing to consider for the army.

New White Dwarf suggests nothing new model wise for Deathwatch Primaris - No upgrade kits or Lieutenant model in the advert. Artemis is available to buy in clam pack form and the Harlequin webway portal is advertised on the previous page for their release. Kinda disappointing...

New White Dwarf suggests nothing new model wise for Deathwatch Primaris - No upgrade kits or Lieutenant model in the advert. Artemis is available to buy in clam pack form and the Harlequin webway portal is advertised on the previous page for their release. Kinda disappointing...

Which likely suggests no new wargear options for Primaris, since GW doesn't like giving options that don't have kits. Maybe they can have Chainswords though, since Blood Angels can ?

Bummer...It would have been a nice bonus.

That... is not promising. Low commitment to the line up, no new tweaks.

I'll say it again.... this is starting to feel like my Thousand Sons codex. All the effort went into getting players to expand their collections, so most of the 'juicy' stuff was put into goats ported over from AoS while the majority of the Astartes were just updated.  I'm strongly sensing this for the Deathwatch. Primaris are our goats.

That... is not promising. Low commitment to the line up, no new tweaks.

I'll say it again.... this is starting to feel like my Thousand Sons codex. All the effort went into getting players to expand their collections, so most of the 'juicy' stuff was put into goats ported over from AoS while the majority of the Astartes were just updated.  I'm strongly sensing this for the Deathwatch. Primaris are our goats.

Well at least the goats are still wearing power armour and have 'bolt' things instead of a CSM army full of furries :wink:

Not surprised but considering the deathwatch are borrowers I would assume that the primaris lieutenant if added will use the dark angel options hopefully.

Unless they change the rules to KTs, I don't think Primaris KTs will be any better. Right now, as KTs stand, they are completely useless. If Primaris are also just 5 Intercessors+others, they will be as well. Adding in an inceptor makes them unable to take the Repulsor. Hopefully they changed how you build a unit (remove need for mandatory Vets/Intercessors).

I can't see them giving Primaris the same SIA or wargear options without a price hike. If they don't, there will be zero reason to play Primaris with any other chapters, and every else will complain. I think even GW isn't so silly as to invalidate an entire line of models for every faction but DW.

I can't see them giving Primaris the same SIA or wargear options without a price hike. If they don't, there will be zero reason to play Primaris with any other chapters, and every else will complain. I think even GW isn't so silly as to invalidate an entire line of models for every faction but DW.

Eh, they will still have chapter traits and much better support than DW ones, so I wouldn't discount that so easily. I don't know if SIA is a good as say Raven Guard or UM + Rob...

Let's not say the sky is falling quite yet, although perhaps we should keep one eye on it.

The lack of new kits doesn't really bother me at all... the upgrade kit we have already works for Primaris marines (intercessors  / reivers / hellblasters use the normal pauldron & aggressors / inceptors use the terminator pauldron) and we do have the distinct advantage of being able to take marines from nearly any other line and pop a pauldron and paint job on them and -boom- they're inducted into the Deathwatch.

However, I really really hope they remove the completely arbitrary restrictions from our last codex version (ie. no jump pack chaplains)... those were a real kick in the pants that'd prefer not to feel again.

A couple of pointers from the white dwarf that arrived in my post today:

Primaris kill teams and characters such as the apothecary are definitely in.

No dice mentioned (boo!)

Librarius discipline for librarians.

Some strategems are specific to enemies (mention one called 'stem the green tide')

No mention of new models or sprues either.

Eh, they will still have chapter traits and much better support than DW ones, so I wouldn't discount that so easily. I don't know if SIA is a good as say Raven Guard or UM + Rob...
I sincerely hope they don't simply make SIA our CT. That would be extremely lazy of them, but I agree it's highly possible.

If SIA is our CT, then that's very restrictive CT unless they extend it to affect ALL infantry and dreadnought bolt weapons. But then it might be too powerful with SB SIA. Either way, very uninspired and low effort, if true.

I'm getting our flight ticket and head shaking ready.

Edit: I realize tone is hard to measure here. Mainly making guesses based on what we know. I'm partially joking and not super doom and gloom.

A couple of pointers from the white dwarf that arrived in my post today:

Primaris kill teams and characters such as the apothecary are definitely in.

No dice mentioned (boo!)

Librarius discipline for librarians.

Some strategems are specific to enemies (mention one called 'stem the green tide')

No mention of new models or sprues either.

Sounds great!

I don't mind not having new dice, especially with how few dice they sell for the price.

No new models isn't a surprise, we're the newest marine faction, all our "old" models are what, 2 years old? 3 for Cassius? Mk. VII is still a beautiful kit.

Right now the previews are lacking enough in detail that I won't rush to any judgement. I doubt they'll make the combined squads worth it though its a really tough design puzzle.

My hope is that they don't make SIA the chapter tactic. It really should be on the weapons that use it, otherwise your punished for not taking them.

I really think that the base marine for deathwatch needs to be in 13 point range (then 1 or 2 for SIA) in order for them to work. We will see if it happens, I really think GW thinks that PA is a lot better in this edition than it is.

So someone on Dakka posted a german image that seemed like it introduced Mission tactics.  I won't bother with the image right now but someone gave the following translation.

"Re-roll wound rolls of 1 against the following battlefield roles: 

Troops 
Assault 
Elite 
Heavy Support and Lord of War 
HQ 
Flyer 

Tactics are meant to allow adaptation of some sort. 

Special ammo is supposed to make your Intercessors even deadlier. "

If I remember correctly for 7th, you could choose a unit type at the start of the turn and reroll 1 for wounding against the type.  This seems to be exactly like that.

If I were to take a guess, I would say that the kill team formation bonuses (rerolls for hits against certain types) will manifest themselves as stratagems.  Speaking as someone who is really interested in adding some kill teams to my guard, stratagems like that along with mission tactics and a deep strike stratagem would give me the ability to bring in one kill team a turn and do  some heavy damage to a specific target.

Cool/meh really, hah. Good to have that stuff confirmed but none of it was really unexpected. Disappointed there was no WC post today for it. With that image floating around, I wouldn't be surprised if we only get one post.

Matt - Missions tactics in 7th were reroll 1s to hit vs unit type, and you'd get reroll 1s/wound based on the different kill team setups.

Archived