Codex: DW next week

Irbis

Lets the squad pull double duty, 3 meltas give you a reasonable chance to damage if not outright kill a vehicle with a bit of luck. AP-4 is also substantially better than -2 when dealing with vehicles. ... Also the 3 meltas I put in out perform frag cannons on avg vs pretty much any vehicle sans maybe vehicles with invulns, or necrons quantum shielding. ..... The slug fire is a nice back up option but its just a back up option, its basically a plasma gun. you are paying for those 2d6 auto hits and should want to find a way to make those work for you. I don't want my main game plan to be DS, shoot slugs... and then hope my squad is still there for my next turn.

Wait, did they nerf the frag cannon? The index version has 2 str 9, -3 ap, dmg 2 shots (only inside 12 sure, but at higher ranges the Melta can’t shoot at all).

That outperforms a lascannon by about 14% on average against every possible target and (assuming BS 3) deals 1.48 dmg against t7 or t8 with 3+. The Melta gun deals slightly more (1.55 dmg) against t7, but only deals a measly 1.16 points against t8 models (which are generally a worse problem to take down for DW). The Melta gun gets slightly better against 2+, but against everything that has an invuln the frag cannon again seems (sometimes vastly) superior. The Melta is also useless if the enemy positions their vehicles at least 3 inches behind the screen, which is not that unlikely. The only situation where the Melta really shines is inside 6’, but that is pretty the opposite of deep strike and far more likely to achieve from a corvus, as is a charge to make use of the fists.

Eh I mean T8 vehicles is russes, and LRs, baneblades, plagueburst, tyrannofex, monolith/obelisks? a few forgeworld things? I don't see a lot of T8 unless I am fighting guard personally, could differ greatly for you obviously. As far as the screens, I see it almost as a non issue? If I am DS'ing I can choose to come in at a time that works for me... not my opponent. If I can't kill the screen then that is the fault of poor list building, and not the unit I am DS'ing. Frags wouldn't be much happier in that situation, 5s to wound the t8 4s for t7 and only ap -2, eh.

The 3 meltas average 4 wounds and 69% of the time get a 5th. The 3 frag is 4 with 47% of the time a 5th. I also prefer the high roll potential of the melta, 2 wounds sneaking in will avg 7 damage (enough to drop a weapon profile on most vehicles), and while you can low roll the damage could also high roll it into 10-12 damage, and outright remove a threat. For the frags to accomplish the same, it would require everything to hit and wound, and all 6+ saves to fail ( from the -3). With frags you get the auto hit after the fact with the power fists you get to have additional threat to vehicles. Also have the 2+ saves and extra wound of the terms + their SBs as other bonuses. Your mileage may vary as usual with ANY list idea, as 40k doesn't happen in a math vacuum. If you don't like meltas or they don't work for you, don't use em, I generally find good success, especially if you can get 2 or more in a squad.

Wouldn't DSing frag cannons wound on 3s since it makes little sense to drop outside 12" for either weapon? They're also AP -3 at that range.

Archived