Codex: DW next week

Irbis

According to screens from white dwarf we'll have 31 strategems at our disposal. Wow, that is... a lot.

Specific xenos threats require specific strategems... so we need a lot of 'em!

I went and looked, and most of the codices have 25 strategems. The most notable exceptions are Custodes (26) and Dark Eldar (33, but considering the amount of different covens, kabals etc that's hardly surprising). Taking into an account that, probably we won't get any new access to SM armoury (like predators, vindicators etc) and we won't get any different chapter tactics - this means we'll get a lot of unique strategems to play with. That is very good.

Seems like Mission Tactics are coming back as reroll of wound rolls (which I expected to be stratagems) and SA for Intercessors is confirmed:

From my memory, these rerolls of 1 were very underwhelming in 7th and I don't think it'll be much better in 8th.

Every confirmed leak just points more and more towards lazy, low effort patches. If they didn't bother innovating with what's been confirmed, they probably didn't bother being innovative elsewhere.

I can’t read German so I have no idea how the mission tactics work but I can say that it’s probably safe to assume they may work like AdMech Canticles to some degree and logically some Strategems probably allow a change of them at some cost.

In 7th, wasn't it you chose one at the start of the battle and you can change it once if you had a watchmaster? (Plus once as a formation bonus)

Going by how the easiest way to do this is, it likely be the similar but costing CP; choose one at the beginning of battle, and spend 2 CP to change mid-battle.

In 7th, wasn't it you chose one at the start of the battle and you can change it once if you had a watchmaster? (Plus once as a formation bonus)

Going by how the easiest way to do this is, it likely be the similar but costing CP; choose one at the beginning of battle, and spend 2 CP to change mid-battle.

Yes that's how it worked. 

What you suggest is what I said above... basically like Admech's Canticles of the Omnissiah. Do a mid turn swap. Or perhaps an emergency one for a single squad rather than the army... potentially for the game.

Ah, I had no idea how that worked.

Onto some insight news, the DW codex has 104 pages. That's similar to DG and GK and they have 30-35 data sheets. Tyranids had 40 and 130 pages. Codices with 40+ data sheets were usually 140-200 pages.

We currently have 31 or so from the Index + Primaris, so might not be a good sign of many additions.

Hmmm. that's really weird now that you mention it. So we can assume no Ancient, no LT's, etc, etc.

Yeah, ancient is really long shot seeing it's not a model you can buy outside of DI so GW has less incentive to put it in. Ditto for lieutenants, the silence on potential models accompanying book makes me wonder if DW isn't the only SM book not accompanied by its own Lt (hence no rules for one) owing to slump in sales after Phil Kelly's rules turned out to be a steaming pile of manure last edition. That would be really disappointing :unsure.:

I still hope DW rules are good but lack of previews starts pointing more and more towards GK/TS style book, quick, uninspiring update churned out in 5 minutes...

Also, more info on their stream Friday:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/01/this-week-on-warhammer-live-9/

So, looks like heavy bolters and the Inceptors guns are out, then? A pity. Though wait, why article says heavy bolt pistol can use SIA when it's not on the list of new weapons that gained it...?

Also, Tempest shell looks like that one SM HB stratagem, merely reskinned - except it doesn't say Captain can't use it. Hitting on 2+, rerolling 1s, guaranteed mortals, eh? :whistling:

Hmmm... I'm usually a pretty positive dude, but based on that preview I'm getting the distinct feeling we're getting the primaris shoehorn...

.... but maybe that's just my jealousy at having more than 100 veterans and 0 primaris in my forces.

Hmmm... I'm usually a pretty positive dude, but based on that preview I'm getting the distinct feeling we're getting the primaris shoehorn rush job...

What do you mean? Everything that they mentioned applied to all our units, and there's unique bonuses for watchmasters.

Early thoughts:

-Intercessors definitely look more interesting with SIA, though transport/mobility will remain an issue unless they can ride in a Corvus, teleport into battle, or the like.

-Reivers will gain new life in DW with SIA.  In the current game they're just not equipped properly for most battlefield roles; access to high AP, flat 2+ to wound (assuming Hellfire stays in), etc., will make them FAR better, especially combined with their deployment shenanigans.

-Inceptors and Aggressors seem left behind in the rush, which is a shame.

-Primaris Characters (or, at least the Primaris Chaplain and Apothecary) are tacitly confirmed with the Absolvor BP on the SIA list

-Tempest Shells are a nice gesture, but the limitation to Vehicles only will be troublesome versus many opponents (though I suspect a Hellfire round Strategem of some kind is incoming)

-Mission Tactics is now re-rolls of 1 to wound, instead of to hit. Assuming WM/WC keep their re-roll to hit auras, this just got FAR more useful.  Also, note that Malleus now affects Low (MASSIVE BUFF) and we gained Raptoris for targeting Flyers (not as awesome, but still nice).

-Adaptive Tactics Strategem just made WM all but required.  1 CP to swap MT is a bargain, and you can stack this with the other two referenced methods to make swapping a breeze.  Note that the Strategem is NOT once per battle!

Early thoughts:

-Intercessors definitely look more interesting with SIA, though transport/mobility will remain an issue unless they can ride in a Corvus, teleport into battle, or the like.

-Reivers will gain new life in DW with SIA.  In the current game they're just not equipped properly for most battlefield roles; access to high AP, flat 2+ to wound (assuming Hellfire stays in), etc., will make them FAR better, especially combined with their deployment shenanigans.

-Inceptors and Aggressors seem left behind in the rush, which is a shame.

-Tempest Shells are a nice gesture, but the limitation to Vehicles only will be troublesome versus many opponents (though I suspect a Hellfire round Strategem of some kind is incoming)

-Mission Tactics is now re-rolls of 1 to wound, instead of to hit. Assuming WM/WC keep their re-roll to hit auras, this just got FAR more useful.  Also, note that Malleus now affects Low (MASSIVE BUFF) and we gained Raptoris for targeting Flyers (not as awesome, but still nice).

-Adaptive Tactics Strategem just made WM all but required.  1 CP to swap MT is a bargain, and you can stack this with the other two referenced methods to make swapping a breeze.  Note that the Strategem is NOT once per battle!

Inceptors did get left behind then, it's confirmed? But I will say I saw pics of Aggressors in their press release so those should be in. (Please be in!)

For me I was really hoping Reivers would be usable again. SIA bolters for me thank you!

I actually like Intercessor models, but now... with SIA? That's fantastic.

Intercessors don't need transport if they are able to fire their bolt rifles with Kraken rounds to reach 36". I'd definitely use them in a backfield role and probably use Veterans or Reivers for more up close work. Anything to avoid that terrible looking Repulsor tank.

Primaris Apothecaries we already have? It should be a roll up of all the scattered datasheets that we have access to from Primaris into one Codex.

Mission tactics was expected, but whole army instead of per kill team is a surprise. Which I like after playing Wych Cult on Sunday and trying to keep track of Combat Drug choices for each unit (it's a PITA).

It sounds OK so far. Not groundbreaking and a bit predictable but will see what the other previews hold.

This pleases me! Most of the time I deploy single fully kitted out kill team in corvus with watch captain/chaplain. With IG making the main force. With The Tome of Ectoclades, my guys will be adapting on the fly! Neat!

Archived