=][= E Tenebrae Lux VI =][=

I have the entirety of the Dark Imperium Primaris clipped off sprues and in separate baggies waiting to be begun. Plus I have Aggressors, the Primaris chaplain and three reivers in boxes unopened. Those I'm not concerned with.

The oldMarines that i have though have all been primed, basecoated in Averland Sunset, and washed with Nuln oil. Is that too much for a vow? If it is, I'll just work on the Primaris.

Up to basecoat is acceptable, as long as you'll be layering over the Nuln Oil, I expect that they'll be acceptable to vow. Side note, just noticed Captain Semper has "liked" your post, this is as good as a the seal of approval, :tu:

I'm glad to hear that. I wasn't sure what that meant. I assumed it did, but wanted to make sure.

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_6_Poster_01_Announcement_V2.jpg

+++ETL VI - WEEK 1 UPDATE+++

So there goes week 1! It has been great to see the forums mobilizing again after a year off and with such enthusiasm! So, what happened in this first week?

Well, in a snapshot, here it is: 

ETL VI:

Total participants: 251

Total vows: 253

Total points pledged: 207,026pts

Average ETL vow: 813pts

Points completed: 706 pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 0.3%

ETL score: 2

Now obviously the completion rate and the score are irrelevant at this stage since only three participants have completed their first vows. At this stage, there is only one metric that really matters, and that metric is the number of participants! So, 251 in the first week… Can we double that in the next three weeks? Remember, new participants can join the ETL until June 1stat 17:00 GMT! I think targeting 500 participants is ambitious but, if it happens it will also be an ETL record – the highest we ever managed is 497 participants! 

Now let’s see how the Factions performed:

Adeptus Astartes:

Total participants: 119

Total vows: 119

Total points pledged: 95,690pts

Average vow: 804pts

Points completed: 311 pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 0.3%

ETL score: 1

The Big Picture:

The Adeptus Astartes is without question the most populous Faction and a favourite for the big prize. This can be attributed to the general popularity that Space Marines enjoy in our hobby but also to the strong heritage of the B&C as a power armour site. Of course, this is no longer the case, but the legacy is still there! 

It is therefore no wonder that the average vow of the Astartes is almost identical with the average vow of the ETL. However, things are not as homogeneous when it comes to the individual forums… Let’s see:

Space Marines:

Total participants: 43

Total vows: 43

Total points pledged: 31,055pts

Average vow: 722pts

Points completed: 311 pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 1.0%

ETL score: 3

So here is strongest Forum in the ETL so far in terms of participation and points pledged – so strong in fact that it rivals entire Factions! So, what can go wrong? Well three things: One is that it may run out of steam while other Forums gradually gain more traction. The other is the relatively low average vow and the last is their tradition of low completion rates.

Of the three I consider the last to be the most dangerous. Historically the Space Marines have relatively low completion rates at below 70% in what has become an 80%+ game. And this can become a killer. Initial enthusiasm is all well and good but when it wanes it has catastrophic results. 

Another lurking weakness is the relatively low average vow. That means that they are overly dependent on their superior numbers – therefore if either the other Forums gain on them or their own participants fail in their vows the low average vow will have a multiplying negative effect.

Blood Angels: 

Total participants: 30

Total vows: 30

Total points pledged: 20,405pts

Average vow: 680pts

Points completed: 0 pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 0%

ETL score: 0

The Blood Angels have a reasonably high number of participants, also rivalling entire Factions. However, they suffer from a relatively small average vow of just 680pts. Now high completion rates will get them a long way but ultimately, they’ll need to either to raise the average vow by pledging more point-rich vows or increase substantially their participants’ numbers. I find the latter more challenging – especially when compared to Forums like Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines. So, I guess the focus should be on raising the average vow, with higher values FIRST vows… 

Dark Angels

Total points pledged: 25,098pts

Average vow: 837pts

Well, like the other two Astartes forums above, the Dark Angels have a strong following. But unlike the other two they have an average vow of slightly above the ETL average, giving them a good mix of high and low point first vows. Of course, compared to Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines they lack the participation numbers, but they can make it up with high completion rates (something that was not there at all in the previous ETL) of more recruiting! It’s still early days! In fact, there is no problem in the ETL that cannot be solved with more participants!

Space Wolves:

Total participants: 16

Total vows: 16

Total points pledged: 19,132pts

Average vow: 1,196pts

Well, the Space Wolves are not doing bad compared to most other Forums. In terms of participation (and excluding the other Astartes) they are only behind the Chaos Marines and AoD_L. The Space Wolves have higher average vow compared to both but the significantly higher participation in the Chaos forum makes it a bit challenging to match them point-for-point. The AoD-L though is comparable in every way and I foresee a new rivalry emerging! 

Last time the SWs made a big impact coming out of nowhere getting the highest ETL score among all Astartes. Can you repeat that? 

----------------------------------------------------------------

IFOR Faction:

Total participants: 32

Total vows: 33

Total points pledged: 25,462pts

Average vow: 777pts

Points completed: 240pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 0.9%

ETL score: 2

The Big Picture:

Well, if compared with the Astartes IFOR seems to be seriously lagging. But compared to everyone else, they seem pretty much at par – at least on the participation levels. And even the average vow, although below the ETL average, it’s not that far behind comparted to the Realm of Chaos and the Xenos… But we expect more form the loyal servants of the Emperor! Historically the main driver of the Faction is the Guard and lately the AdMech too. However, with only 7 participants for the Guard and 8 participants for the AdeMech, well, it looks like there is significant upside potential. Especially when compared with the Sisters, the most overlooked army by GW, that have managed 6 participations already! Now let’s go into a bit more detail:

Adepta Sororitas:

Total participants: 6

Total vows: 6

Total points pledged: 3,270pts

Average vow: 545pts

Well, the Sororitas are amazing! Against all odds they have made a strong showing so far, comparable with all the other IFOR Forums. And it’s the Forum that has an ancient (albeit beautiful) model range and limited unit options. Great respect to the brave Sister Superiors that took their squads to the battle! Of course, the average vow is low but that is an inherent disadvantage with the ageing list. Hopefully the rumours will be true and by the end of this year or early into the next a new Codex and a new model range will follow. Until then, hang in there and try your best!

Adeptus Mechanicus:

Total participants: 7

Total vows: 8

Total points pledged: 5,291pts

Average vow: 661pts

Points completed: 240 pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 4.5%

ETL score: 11

The Adeptus Mechanicus is currently the most popular within the IFOR Faction in terms of participation (but still, only 7) and third in terms of points pledged.  Apart from the obvious need to increase participation, something true for the entire Faction, the next most important thing is to raise the average vow. This is very important as their primary in-Faction rivals – the Guard and the Agents – have similar participation levels but with a significantly higher average vow, meaning that ceteris paribus they have the edge. But get more people in! 

Astra Militarum:

Total vows: 7

Total points pledged: 5,513pts

Average vow: 788pts

Well, the Astra Militarum does not seem to be very active – at least compared with its illustrious ETL history. I am sure that their numbers will swell, and they will become again the leading Forum of the IFOR but for the time being they only have an average presence and average average vow. Things need to improve and improve fast and the only answer at this stage is to get in MORE participants. The Guard relies on numbers in-Universe, and so is the case in the ETL – oh, and raising the average vow above ETL average won’t harm either. And remember, like all other IFOR Forums, the Guard can draw on the resources of other IFOR forums. So, plenty of options and a lot of previous years’ restrictions are lifted. Make use of it and drive the Guard back to the top of the IFOR!

Imperial Agents:

Total points pledged: 7,501pts

Average vow: 1,072pts

The Imperial Agents are doing things right: They have the highest amount of points pledged and the highest average vow within the Faction (and one of the highest in the ETL). However, given the recent release of the Codex Custodes I expected much more participation enthusiasm in the opening stages of the event – and consequent cannibalization of the Astartes forums. Hopefully this may still be the case and we’ll see the Custodes arriving in droves in the coming weeks. I mean they have a competitive Codex, a brilliant range of plastic miniatures and support from Forge World – some of which is ETL eligible… Yet their presence is only a fraction of the Agents’ participation, when Sisters with the older range and the scorn of GW for years have manged more! C’mon let’s see what the Agents can bring to the game now that they have the backing of the Custodes!

Deathwatch:

Total participants: 4

Total vows: 4

Total points pledged: 1,836pts

Average vow: 459pts

Well Deathwatch was reluctant to vow big in this first week – mostly because the new Codex was imminent. At this time, it’s up for pre-order so hopefully from the second week onward we’ll see some more positive response. Still, 4 brave Watch Masters took it upon themselves to carry the honour of the Deathwatch upon their shoulders. The only thing is, their vows are fairly small, which is understandable given the circumstances. Hopefully this will change in the coming weeks as the new Codex becomes widely available.

Grey Knights:

Total participants: 1

Total vows: 1

Total points pledged: 2,238pts

Average vow: 2,238pts (single vow forum)

The Grey Knights seem to be a bit… distant this year. It may well be that their Codex was not perceived as a big hit and that cooled many people off. That does not change the fact they have an awesome range of miniatures and, from a modelling perspective alone, they present an interesting challenge. I have to mention here Grey Knight Master Joukernaut has made an impact that Epimetheus himself would be jealous of! I wish him luck to complete this sizeable vow and I hope that he’ll be joined by his fellow Masters soon!

Realm of Chaos Faction:

Total participants: 41

Total vows: 41

Total points pledged: 32,510pts

Average vow: 793pts (single vow forum)

The Big Picture:

The Realm of Chaos is a traditional ETL superpower and this year is no exception! With 41 participants and with 35k pts pledged is the second more popular Faction! However, it is grossly unbalanced with 93% of the participants vowing for the Heretic Astartes while Daemons and Chaos Guard have only a small presence. Hopefully this would change, and we’ll see the Greater Daemons and armies of the Lost and the Damned making a stronger appearance. Let’s see that in a bit more detail: 

Chaos Space Marines:

Total participants: 38

Total vows: 38

Total points pledged: 28,624pts

Average vow: 753pts

Chaos Space Marines are without question the leader of the Realm of Chaos Faction. In fact it’s a legitimate contender for becoming Dominus Exercitus, the Champion-forum of ETL VI. To that end they need to overcome some of the toughest Forums in the game, with Space Marines being the number one enemy (fitting) but with the rest of the Astartes close behind. 

So what needs to be done to secure top position? Well, first and foremost, they need to utilise their considerable pool of Chaos hobbyists and recruit as many as possible! Their numbers are high, but not record-high – last time at the end of Week 1 there were 50 participants (vs. the 41 as last year there was no split between Chaos forums). So, the main direction is simple: step-up your recruitment rate! 

The second point is the average vow. Not super low but still 50pts below the ETL average. That means that for the same completion rate you have locked-in a disadvantage. It doesn’t take much, if the next wave of vows is in the region of 800pts on average then you’ll be able to eliminate that disadvantage. 

Thirdly, be conscious of the completion rate! This is what drove you over and above everyone else in previous years – so make sure you don’t neglect it. I cannot stress this enough. 

Chaos Daemons:

Total participants: 2

Total vows: 2

Total points pledged: 2,127pts

Average vow: 1,064pts

Well, Daemons have a small presence but a dynamic one nonetheless. And colourful! I sure hope more participants will flock to the Unborn camp. For the time being, I think the best strategy here is to support the Faction by timely completions and re-vowing without jeopardizing the already captured points. 

The Lost and the Damned:

Total points pledged: 1,759pts

Average vow: 1,759pts (single vow Forum)

Well first of all I would like to say that this was an impressive vow by Nemerax – so good luck to him! Hopefully more Traitor Guard will join the ETL and it will not be a lonely journey… Be that as it may, and much like the Daemons above, finishing this vow is of paramount importance due to its size as the negative impact could be very costly for the Faction overall (no pressure Nemerax).

Xenos Faction:

Total points pledged: 22,780pts

Average vow: 759pts

The Big Picture:

This is the first time the Xenos join the ETL! It’s a great occasion and I think we’ll see some interesting developments. The Xenos have an uphill battle to fight – not only against the general popularity of the powered armoured factions but also with the B&C legacy as a Space Marines forum. Yet, collectively, they’re doing alright! With 30 participants (practically at the same levels as IFOR and AoD) they stand their own ground quite well! Where they really need to work on is the average vow that presently is the lowest of the ETL. Not that it’s THAT low, but still, the ticket to a high placement comes either through overwhelming participation or high(ish) average vow and certainly not with the lowest. Often with both. So let’s see what happened in a bit more detail:

Aeldari:

Total points pledged: 2,614pts

Average vow: 373pts

Well, here the biggest problem is the low average vow – by far the lowest in the ETL and the some 55% below the ETL average. I think that as a multi-Codex Faction, and with ample support from Forge World, the Aeldari would have certainly a higher following (especially as the Drukhari made an appearance with a new Codex on the eve of the ETL) and with some larger vows as the Aeldari also sport some impressive point-rich and large-scale units. Be that as it may, I sure hope to see more Aeldari players joining the cause – now that the Harlequins will also make an 8thEdition appearance. And don’t forget the Ynnari – that space cat-thing is asking to be painted! 

Necrons:

Total points pledged: 3,989pts

Average vow: 570pts

The Necrons are a dedicated bunch! However, their average vow remains on the low side so an increase in participation is paramount. You really must attract more players to your cause as that’s the only way to rise to prominence especially as the Tau seem to be delivering on both number of participants and average vow. If you raise participation, keeping the average vow low has the implicit side-effect that the vows are more manageable. It’s a fine balance but at this stage, it’s not the vow size that you should be after but rather increase the participation.

Orks:

Total points pledged: 2,893pts

Average vow: 723pts

The Orks is the only Xenos race without an 8thEdition Codex presently and an aging miniature range for many army slots. So maybe not the best circumstance for large-scale commitments! Yet the Orks are here (so the infestation is unavoidable) with a substantial average vow and almost 3k points to boot. Hopefully Orks attract other Orks and we’ll see more players showing up in the coming weeks! WAAAAAAAaaaaagh! 

T’au Empire

Total participants: 10

Total vows: 10

Total points pledged: 11,052pts

Average vow: 1,105pts

The T’au are the leaders of the Xenos Faction and in a good position for the Primus Inter Pares award. They have the most participants and the most points pledged (almost half of the faction total). And on top of everything else they have a Manta! In fact, there is little to fault them other than they too have to increase participation. And they can afford to do so with lowering the average vow – no pressure to bring in the big guns. Hopefully we’ll see their ranks to swell (and all the Xenos for that matter).

Tyranids

Total points pledged: 2,232pts

Average vow: 1,116pts

The Tyranids have a very slim following in the ETL – it’s even smaller than the Orks despite having a Codex updated for the 8thEdition. However, it’s a brave one with significant vows. I think the best strategy here is to make sure these vows get completed and support the Xenos Faction as much as possible. And of course never stop recruiting! The more bugs the merrier!

Age of Darkness Faction (AoD)

Total participants: 29

Total points pledged: 30,397pts

Average vow: 1,013pts

Points completed: 155pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 0.5%

The Big Picture:

The AoD is one of the main players in the ETL. It has the participation and the sizeable vows as well as relatively high completion rates. This year the above characteristics are there although I’m sure the AoD can do even better. Yes, the average vow is the highest of all Factions in the ETL which certainly gives the AoD a breather – especially given the general discount that HH units suffer vs. 8thEdition 40k. But the 29 participants have the potential to multiply and much more so… Let’s see!

Age of Darkness – Loyalists (AoD-L)

Total participants: 18

Total vows: 19

Total points pledged: 19,533pts

Average vow: 1,028pts

Points completed: 155pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 0.8%

The Loyalists are leading the intra-Forum rivalry with more participants and higher average vow. There is nothing much to add here, just that at this stage, the important thing is to bolster their numbers. The AoD-L has all the potential to become a major rival to the big players (Chaos Marines and the various Astartes) – but recruiting is the key! Oh, and it registered the first completion in the ETL – so first blood goes to the AoD-L!

Age of Darkness – Traitors (AoD-T)

Total participants: 11

Total vows: 11

Total points pledged: 10,864pts

Average vow: 988pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 0

The AoD-T surprised me. I expected them to lead the AoD Faction but it turned out that the Aod-L is the stongest in these opening days of the event. So here’s the challenge: beat the AoD-L! There is nothing to keep you back, just get as many new players in – don’t worry about the size of the vow at this point – the important thing is number of participants! For Horus and the Primordial Truth! 

IT'S EARLY ON! THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR ALL FORUMS IS TO GET MORE PARTICIPANTS IN!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

I’ll be joining in soon...need my shipment to arrive and 30 minutes of free time to prep my simple green bath...after that, my first vow will hit, probably some time next week (plan on soaking my models over the weekend).

And I’ll be continuing my recruitment drive as well. Can’t forget that!

Hopefully the rumours will be true and by the end of this year or early into the next a new Codex and a new model range will follow.

Not much of a rumour. The SoB Codex got officially announced for 2019 now. ;)

Anyway, great to see the results of all forums so far (except for you, GK and Daemons ... get to work! :P ).

Unfortunately I have to admit that I'm part of the biggest problem of the BA forum with my tiny 224p vow and even more unfortunate is that my future vows won't be all that different. I apologize to my brothers ... being the slow painter with busy life I am I prefer having a high completion rate instead. :P

Small vows are not a problem for any forum yet. The single most important thing is participant numbers. At this stage, that early in the game, vow size is of significantly lesser importance!

The biggest hill to climb for any forum is completion percentage. Anyone can vow 20,000 points, let's see if they can actually pull it off.

That being said, I hope to see everyone complete their vows. The real winner in the end is each of you for having a completed army, not the forum itself.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but

What does the ETL score stat represent and how is it calculated?

The SCR aims to reward the quantity and the commitment of the participants of each Forum and to even-out (as much as possible) the imbalances of absolute numbers. As such we bring into play the “Completion Rate (CR)” which is defined as:

CR = points completed / points pledged

Where: 

• Points completed: All the points of all the completed vows pledged for a Forum. If someone failed to complete a second or any subsequent vow, then any previously completed vows are nullified and will not be added to the total.
  • Points pledged: All the points from all the vows pledged for a Forum.

The total ETL score (SCR) of a Forum is the number of total points of the Forum, net of those who failed to complete a subsequent vow, multiplied by the CR.

SCR = total points (net) x CR

EXAMPLE:

• Forum A has pledged a total of 82,000 points and completed 63,000 points (CR= 77%). The SCR of Forum A will be 63,000 x 77% = 48,402
  • Forum B has pledged a total of 65,000 points and completed 58,000 points (CR= 89%). The SCR of Forum B will be 58,000 x 89% = 51,754

In this particular example Forum B will win over Forum A despite having fewer completed points on a nominal basis because it showed higher level of commitment thus getting ahead on a modified basis!

And this is also how the SCR for each Faction is calculated, i.e. total points after penalties of all the participants of each Faction times the completion rate of the Faction – pretty straight forward!

What's the ETL score value mean? I can see in the rules what it represents, but I don't understand the numerical value(s) assigned.

Well, ETL Score = points completed x completion rate. 

Right now, it's meaningless. It will become increasingly relevant as we progress in the game...

So in the AoD Faction for example you have 155 completed points a completion rate of 0.51%. So 155 x 0.51% = 0.79 which rounds to 1.

gallery_2_3712_3387.jpg

THE DRIVE FOR 20 YEARS

Not sure any of us from the start (of which there are only 2 left) ever thought we would be here after 20 years. Let alone as big as we have become.
The B&C started out as a place for Marine players -- and only Marine players -- to talk about their armies. In 1999 most Marine only players were hard pressed to find good help on the web. Space Marines were the most hated of armies in those days because they just rolled. Times have changed and so has the B&C.

EZBoard to Invision Power Board
6 forums to 60+ (I lost count somewhere along the way)
6 founding members to 76,000 registered accounts and about 2,000 users (registered/guests) on at any given time of day.
Space Marines to Space Marines +Chaos to +Sisters to +Humanity to now everything 40k has to offer (probably the change I never expected to happen).

None of this would have happened without you the user base continuing to utilize the site. As an example, if folks hadn't been using the site much or not clamouring for its return back in the Great Crash of 2004, none of this would be here today. The site would have been left dead. But your dedication and desire for the Bolter and Chainsword is what drove us to rebuild and start fresh.

The B&C turned 19 on April 19, 2018 and we definitely want to be here for the big TWO OH on April 19, 2019.

GETTING TO 20

So as is the way now, we look to you the fans to help fund the board for another year. However with the 20th Anniversary approaching we have some changes to the plan and some big ambitions.

So a quick list of "things to do":

1. We still have the extra funds from last year slated for doing the server repairs. We just need to get some time with Argos to get things moving on that front.

2. We are not going to use the donation tracker on the upper right of the board (for those not using Mobile version anyway) to track the donations. Folks on mobile can't see it, folks using the main board don't always follow it and it is a bit of pain in the butt to update on the daily. We are going to track it this year with that swanky banner you see at the top of this post. Courtesy of Madscuzzy. That way everyone can just quickly look at the first post and have a good idea of where we stand. This will be on Facebook and our Twitter feed too.

Each silhouette will represent $500 in pot. Each time we break that threshold a new avatar will appear in the banner. Further to that the full avatar image will be posted in thread so you can take it for your B&C avatar if you like (feel free to color it as you wish).

As a teaser, is a freebie for you:
gallery_2_3712_21765.jpg

"But Kurgan" you say, "that is 12 images, that would be $6,000 raised if we hit them all?!?" and you are right it is!! There is a reason for that.

The first 6 represent the $3,000 we have to raise by August 31st for our yearly hosting costs. The rest are "stretch" goals to take us into the 20th year. Given the damage done to the server there are several possibilities that we need to prepare for. The best is that we get the damaged fixed, update the software and move on like normal. The worst case scenario would be we have to build a new box/move hosting solutions and/or start with a clean slate on the forum (ala 2004). So we just want to be prepared so that the B&C is still here come that 20th birthday.

3. Update to the latest version of IPB. Now if the worst case scenario happens we may get a new URL for "old B&C" and leave it here as read only and start fresh on a new server/hosting solution and with the new software.

ONLY IN DEATH DOES DUTY END

But we don't plan to die just yet.

OTHER PLANS FOR THE DRIVE TO 20 YEARS

We want the 20th Anniversary to be big and special for everyone so we have a few things we are working (some of which you have seen hinted at in the last few months).

T-shirts and 20 Year patches are definitely happening!!
Maybe hats and scarfs (still looking into that)
One thing I would like to do and I'm just having the worst time finding info on it, is to do a B&C self-healing cutting mat. Not sure this is going to be doable so if anyone has some info/ideas on this, please PM me.
2019 will mark 10 years since we ran the GOLDEN BOLTER. It was (up to that point) our largest and most successful contest ever. Back then we ran sponsored contests with big prizes and GOLDEN BOLTER was no different. May it is time for GOLDEN BOLTER II. If we hit $1000 in 10 days on the donations I'll turn the old GB forum back on so folks can see what I am talking about. :wink:
We have Facebook and Twitter for a brief time Instagram. Probably going to bring back the instagram account. Also discussing other options like a Twitch or YouTube gaming platform but that is in very very early stages of discussion.

THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN!!

The B&C exist for you and because of you. Our goal way back in 1999 was to give back to the community. In the 19 years since this community has grown and fostered into one of the best on the internet for 40k. You guys generate the content here that people love to read. Let's keep this going.

HOW CAN YOU HELP THE B&C

Easy, keep using the site and donate.

Right now if every active user that was on the site on a daily basis tossed $2 US into the bin, we'd smash our goal out in 1 day and will have hit 2 stretch goals. $3,000 and $6,000 seem like big numbers but we can do it with small bits of help from a big group of people.

You can use the donation box in the upper right of the board to donate, if you are on the mobile skin you can't see this:
gallery_2_3712_4431.png

You can also donate directly via paypal to bolterinquisition@gmail.com

If these options don't work for you and you would like to donate via another method (money order, Western Union or something) please just PM Kurgan the Lurker and we can figure something out. :smile.:

As always, thank you to everyone for the continued support of the site

I thought of giving people a preview of how the week's developing so far. 

Now let's forget the Astartes for a minute - we'll come back to them. From the remaining factions we have the following picture:

IFOR: 

Participants: 37

Vows: 39

Points pledged: 36,736

Realm of Chaos: 

Participants: 48

Vows: 48

Points pledged: 36,246

Xenos:

Participants: 32

Vows: 33

Points pledged: 25,445

AoD:

Participants: 32

Vows: 34

Points pledged: 33,351

So IFOR has made a huge comeback - mostly via the Imperial Agents Forum (and the Mechanicum) as we now have our first Warlord Titan making an appearance.  So IFOR has more points pledged than Chaos despite having 11 less participants. That means that, if Chaos gets more people in (very likely) they may still threaten IFOR - and they could even afford to have a lower completion rate. For IFOR, in order to cement that lead it will require more participants, so they will have options once the doors to new entrant close on June 1st. Right now, they have the lead because of the much higher average vow (the second highest in the ETL at 942)  - but this is not evenly distributed among the participants. If one or two big vows fail, then the IFOR may experience a significant set-back that will be hard to recover from. So the answer is: more participants! Espeically among the Guard that seems to be a bit left behind (they have less participants than either the Mechanicum and the Agents. I also expect to see even more Custides making an appearance!

The AoD is close behind, but new participants are desperately needed. Here we have the highest average vow of the ETL at 981pts (despite the general point discount that 7th edition has vs. 8th)  and 32 partiicpants - fewer than IFOR, fewer than Chaos and at par with Xenos. High average vow, although welcome (and more so as it is more evenly distributed than say IFOR) cannot substitute number of participants. Just 10 more participants at the same average vow could have meant something in the order of 43k points - comfortably higher than Chaos (while still less participants). So the recruitment effort must continue unabated - it is the ticket to get to the lead!

Xenos continue to suffer form low vows. Participants are at par with AoD and not that far behind IFOR but they need to increase the size of the vow to threaten either of the above or indeed Chaos. Chaos is not unassailable at this point. They have the most participants but the low average vow (755) sort of limits their ceiling. on the other hand the good distribution means it is more likely to have high completion rates... I guess, for Xenos, the answer is new participants at higher points vows. 

Lastly Chaos, as I mentioned previously, have 48 participants led Chaos Space Marines with 40 participants but it's Daemons that have the highest average vow of the Faction (955). Now, especially for Chaos Space Marines, they need to benchmark themselves against the strongest Forum that's currently the Space Marines. Chaos is REALLY close to overtake them! They are only 5 participants behind and with  a slightly higher average vow, it may take fewer than five to cover the 3.3k points difference. 

Now on to the Astartes. 

Right, altogether, they are heads and shoulders above other Factions, so I won't bother with that right now - it all boils down to completion rates... but it's too early to worry about that at this stage. But on a Forum level, well there is some stiff competition there.

Space Marines appear to be comfortably in the lead but upon closer inspection there are a few concerns. Firstly they seem to be running out of steam in the recruitment front. That clashes vividly with Blood Angels and Dark Angels that have added 7 and 6 new participants vs. just 2 for the Space Marines. Yet the Space Marines have managed to protect their average vow at 697pts - still higher than the Blood Angels 644 - that means they can afford to narrow the lead they have in participants and still have the edge. Dark Angels though, well, they have different dynamics. They have 36 participants (vs. BAs with 37 and SMs with 45) but with an average vow of 770 (still lower than the ETL average) and fairly well distributed. They have more points pledged than the BAs and are some 5k points behind the SMs. So anything can still happen between those three Forums and it all depends how Week 2 and Week 3 progress. Week 4 may prove to be too late although if still close, Week 4 may be deciding.

I left the SWs for last. The SWs historically are a peculiar case. They have very high average vow (check at 1,102pts) and low headcount (check at 18). Still that's more than any non-Astartes Forum with the notable exceptions of Chaos SMs and the AoD-L. Still, its a mystery to me, why one of the most popular armies has not a stronger following. Well, if they make 31 participants, I'll be painting 5 Wolf Guard - each dedicated to the 5 higher scoring Wolf players!

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_6_Poster_01_Announcement_V2.jpg

+++ETL VI - WEEK 2 UPDATE+++

Week 2 is over. The momentum was kept alive, and there were some interesting developments. Let’s see them in detail:

ETL VI:

Total participants: 298

Total vows: 311

Total points pledged: 248,868pts

Average ETL vow: 800pts

Points completed: 6,866pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 2.8%

ETL score: 189

Well, we have almost reached 300 participants in the second week. We have also seen some completions and some re-vowing that brings the total vows to 311 while the average vow slightly dropped to 800pts from 814 at the end of Week 1, as is expected. Total points pledged are almost 250k while the completions are still a very small percentage of the total for completion rate to have any meaning. All in all participants increased by 47 or 19%, total points pledged increased by 20% and the average vow retreated by merely 2%.

I cannot stress enough the importance of new participants especially as we enter Week 3. It is historically proven that Week 1 has the lion’s share of participants and some of the initial enthusiasm spills over in Week 2. Before we enter Week 4 (the last whole week where new participants are accepted) where there is a normal pick-up in last -minute vowing, Week 3 is the most challenging as the Forum that keeps up the recruiting effort will enter the final stages of recruitment in a much better position, while those who let Week 3 go by idly will have a tough time to catch up. Remember, new participants can join the ETL until June 1stat 17:00 GMT! 

Now let’s see how the Factions & Forums performed:

Adeptus Astartes:

Total participants: 141

Total vows: 148

Total points pledged: 110,925pts

Average vow: 750pts

Points completed: 2,788pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 2.5%

ETL score: 70

The Big Picture:

The Adeptus Astartes kept the momentum going by adding 22 new participants in Week 2. They remain by far the most popular Faction but, as was the case in the past, it all will boil down to completion rates – not an area they usually excel! The new blood and the re-vowing have brought the average vow lower however to 750pts, a bit below the ETL average making completion rate all the more important! Still, this is the recruitment period so the focus must remain on bringing in new players – thus distributing the risk and maximising future chnces of success. 

Now let’s see the how the individual Forums performed:

Space Marines:

Total participants: 48

Total vows: 51

Total points pledged: 36,685pts

Average vow: 719pts

Points completed: 1,413pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 3.9%

ETL score: 54

Compared to the other Astartes, the Space Marines have the strongest headline numbers: more participants and more points pledged, and they managed to keep their average vow intact. They even have the most completions but it’s too early in the ETL for this metric to be meaningful. HOWEVER, the second week proved to be a bit slow for them. They added only 5 new participants or 12% on their Week 1 number that represents 23% of the faction’s new additions. The Blood Angels by comparison, increased their participants by 11 players or 50% of the new additions to the Faction and Dark Angels by 6 participants or 27% of the new additions to the Faction! In short, the participation advantage of the Space Marines narrowed.

Still though, in absolute terms, the Forum remains the ETL leader and something the other Forums (within or outside the Astartes) must work hard to surpass. So, apart from the obvious recruitment advice that applies to all Forums, I think that the Space Marines should focus more on delivering on their promises as this has been traditionally their weak point. Average vow is OK-ish so there is no immediate need to boost this metric. Keep recruiting and keep completing! 

Blood Angels: 

Total participants: 38

Total vows: 41

Total points pledged: 25,923pts

Average vow: 632pts

Points completed: 544pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 2.1%

ETL score: 11

The Blood Angels made a huge recruitment effort in Week 2 adding 11 new participants increasing their Week 1 participation levels by 37%! Furthermore, as mentioned above, this corresponded to 50% of all Astrates new additions. This was a spectacular performance!

But it came at a cost… The average vow contracted further from 680pts to 632pts – the lowest among the Astartes and some 170pts lower than the ETL average. There are two ways to improve on that: The first is that any new participants will need to pledge vows higher than the BA average and/or existing participants to make early completions and re-vow larger vows. Of course, having the higher average vow is not an aim in itself: higher participation might negated the need for higher vows altogether, provided they come with assorted completions! 

Dark Angels

Total participants: 36

Total vows: 36

Total points pledged: 27,726pts

Average vow: 770pts

The Dark Angels added 6 more participants to their ranks or 20% on their Week 1 total – a reasonably good performance. They also have an average vow of 770pts – higher than the Astartes average but somewhat lower than the ETL average. That allows them to look good vs. the Blood Angels as they still have more points pledged which means, assuming the same completion rate, they will be fine. But i) recent history is not on their side on this metric and ii) it’s not only the BAs they should be competing against. The Space Marines have pledged almost 9k points more (although through 51 vows) so that leaves the DAs under some considerable pressure. Week 3 must show improvement on both the recruitment rate (preferably without lowering the average vow) and some completion rates. But at this stage the former is way more important than the latter!

Space Wolves:

Total participants: 19

Total vows: 20

Total points pledged: 20,592pts

Average vow: 1,030pts

Points completed: 831 pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 4.0%

ETL score: 34

The Space Wolves continue to suffer from relatively low participation – at least compared to the other Astartes. That is an inherent characteristic of the SWs and something that is usually (partially) compensated by high average vow – which is also the case this year. The SWs added 3 new participants in Week 2 or 19% to their Week on number and only contributed 14% to the new recruits of the Astartes Faction. They have however and average vow of above 1,000pts which gives them enough potential to threaten the top position. But that entails completion rates close to 100% and that is not realistic – at least based on historical evidence. The trick is to utilise the last two remaining weeks of recruitment to boost their participants’ numbers and narrow the gap with the rest of the Astartes but also with the other strong ETL contenders! 

So, reaching out to all SW players out there, don’t put the pressure to those who have already made a pledge, but join up to assist them in this crucial junction of time: RECRUIT, RECRUIT, RECRUIT!

IFOR Faction:

Total participants: 40

Total vows: 42

Total points pledged: 39,137pts

Average vow: 932pts

Points completed: 1,548pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 4.0%

ETL score: 61

The Big Picture:

IFOR increased its participants by 25% - more than the ETL average while maintaining an average vow of 932pts, practically at par with the AoD at the top of the ETL. Excluding the Astartes, they have the second highest participation levels behind Realm of Chaos which is fairly evenly distributed between the various forums. But the best news is that in terms of pledged points, they have overtaken the Realms of Chaos and are now second behind the Astartes! I think, this is a case where they can afford to see their average vow lowering if that means considerably more participants join in! 

I particularly expect to see more to join for the Guard and the Mechanicum, while more Custodes won’t harm either. And don’t forget, you can still use units from other IFOR forums to support your IFOR Forum of preference! You have the flexibility now, I suggest you put it in good use!

Let’s see the Forums in detail. 

Adepta Sororitas:

Total vows: 6

Total points pledged: 3,270pts

Average vow: 545pts

After a spectacular Week 1, the Sisters seemed to have run out of steam. This is to a great degree understandable given the current state of the support for Sisters and the promise of a serious re-visiting of this army by GW by the end of 2018. Still the Sisters’ die-hards are here, and one can only hope that some more may join in order to paint their existing stash! The metal Sisters are still today some of the best minis ever to come out from the GW vaults and the new range, when it comes, will have a tough time to compete! 

Keep going honoured Canoness Superiors!

Adeptus Mechanicus:

Total participants: 9

Total vows: 10

Total points pledged: 6,737pts

Average vow: 674pts

Points completed: 240 pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 3.6%

ETL score: 9

The AdMech has added only two players in the second week of the event with the average vow remaining close to Week 1 levels. Generally speaking, Week 2 has been slow, as no completions or re-vowing took place. Now going forward, it is very important to see more Magi joining the ranks – and preferably with vows above the average Forum’s average. 

From an in-Faction perspective, AdMech has the highest number of participants – although only by a difference of 1 compared to Astra Militarum and Imperial Agents. In terms of points pledged they are pretty close to the Guard but are almost half compared to Imperial Agents! Granted, the latter have a Warlord Titan in their midst that has a huge impact on their statistics. Let’s face it: AdMech is one of the main pillars of the IFOR, with an 8thEdition Codex out, a fantastic range of miniatures and is the natural home of the Titans and many Knight Houses… So, let’s see more joining in this crucial Week 3! 

Astra Militarum:

Total vows: 9

Total points pledged: 6,861pts

Average vow: 762pts

Points completed: 1,081pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 15.8%

ETL score: 170

Funnily enough, the Astra Militarum has the highest ETL score at the end of Week 2! :biggrin.:

But of course, this is temporary. The way for the Guard to have a lasting impact is to have more participants! Their average vow of 762pts is not that bad (although below the ETL average) but it means they cannot afford to get more participants in at materially lower vows. Unless it’s a lot of new participants in which case the absolute amount will in itself be a winner! 

Week 3 will be a deciding factor. The recruitment rate of Week 3 could make or break the Guard. If the numbers increase substantially then Week 4 will undoubtedly be much easier for the Guard to become the leading Forum within the IFOR. If not, then it will be a real struggle! 

Imperial Agents:

Total points pledged: 15,574pts

Average vow: 1,730pts

The Imperial Agents are at present the undisputed leaders of the IFOR with more than 15.5k points pledged and 9 participants! More importantly, they have a Warlord Titan in their ranks – the first and only so far in the ETL! That is a big boost in points, but let me point out, that the Agents would still lead the Faction even without the Warlord! So, congratulations to the Agents and hope to see more. The recruitment effort must intensify in Week 3 – and it doesn’t have to be Titans either! If there is one Forum that can afford to lower its average vow in favour of new participants, it’s the this one! Their average vow of 1,730pts it’s the highest in all the ETL (excl. single vow Forums). 

So, let’s see more Inquisitors, Assasins, Sisters of Silence and Custodes arriving – and on top of these, you can even utilise units from other IFOR Forums, don’t you forget!

Deathwatch:

Total points pledged: 4,457pts

Average vow: 637pts

Points completed: 227 pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 5.1%

ETL score: 12

Well, it appears that the release of the new Codex had a beneficial impact on the Deathwatch crowd as two more participants joined and with some serious vows too! But I think they can do more. The Codex is now out, so any uncertainty is cleared. The units are there, the Primaris have a special treatment and the model range is more relevant than ever. Also, Deathwatch has the added bonus (that other Astartes don’t) of having access to other IFOR units too!

So, let’s see some more join the Deathwatch ranks and drive the bane of Xenos to higher glories!

Grey Knights:

Total points pledged: 2,238pts

Average vow: 2,238pts (single vow forum)

Master Joukernaut appears to have a lonely path this year. But it doesn’t have to be like that. The Grey Knights have an amazing range, and although I get why some people may be disheartened by the Codex mechanics, if you have the minis, you may as well paint them! 

Here’s to more Grey Knights arrivals!

Realm of Chaos Faction:

Total participants: 48

Total vows: 48

Total points pledged: 36,246pts

Average vow: 755pts

Points completed: 180pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 0.5%

The Big Picture:

The Realm of Chaos managed to add 7 more participants this week. Good but not impressive. Well, not impressive for Chaos anyway! IFOR also added 7 players this week, and now they are ahead in points as their average vow is some 180 points more than the Realm of Chaos average. Oh, and they are just below the AoD too by just 364 points… On the positive side, the Realm of Chaos has more participants which means that they can potentially afford a lower completion rate. But that’s beside the point. It appears that Chaos really needs to boost both their number of participants and the average vow as it will be explained in detail of the Forum analysis below:

Chaos Space Marines:

Total participants: 40

Total vows: 40

Total points pledged: 29,418pts

Average vow: 755pts

Points completed: 180 pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 0.6%

So, just two new participants in Week 2… Can it be? 

Right now, Chaos Space Marines have 40 participants compared to 48 for the Space Marines, 38 for the BAs and 36 for the DAs. In terms of points pledged, at 29k they are below the Space Marines (37k), and just above the DAs (27k) and the BAs (26k). And their average vow is not something to inspire confidence either.

Here the message is clear: If you want to relive the glories of the past, then you must bring in more recruits! Week 3 is more crucial for Chaos Space Marines than it is for any other Forum! If it proves to be lukewarm, then you’ll be entering Week 4 with a distinct disadvantage (other things being equal). 

So let’s see the recruiting effort taking shape!

Chaos Daemons:

Total participants: 3

Total vows: 3

Total points pledged: 2,865pts

Average vow: 955pts

Daemons increased their participation by 50%! OK it’s just 1 more participant but that one compares to the Chaos Space Marines’ two! Considering the resources of the two Forums, it makes the Daemons look way more impressive! Bottom line is, that in Week 2, point-wise Daemons did as much for the Chaos Faction as the Chaos Marines and that is something that should be proud of! Now let’s see some Greater Daemons making an appearance! I really would like to see all three plastic Greater Deamons making an appearance – we’re talking about some of the most impressive minis out there!

The Lost and the Damned:

Total participants: 5

Total vows: 5

Total points pledged: 3,963pts

Average vow: 793pts

The lost and the Damned made the biggest surprise by adding 4 participants – almost 60% of Chaos new additions! Also, the quality of the Chaos-ification of the Guard models is highly inspiring and a pleasure to look at. The LatD did more for the Chaos Faction in Week 2 than both the other Forums put together pledging 2.2k pts to the Chaos cause vs. 1.5k for the other two combined! Hopefully this momentum will continue – it’s great to see the outsiders outperforming! 

Xenos Faction:

Total participants: 33

Total vows: 34

Total points pledged: 25,949pts

Average vow: 763pts

The Big Picture:

The Xenos are trying to carve out their share within the ETL having to face the traditional super powers. And they are not doing a bad job either… Granted, 33 participants is the lowest among all Factions, but it’s not that far behind – especially compared to AoD (36) and IFOR (40). I guess the more concerning feature is the low average vow, that combined with the low participation leads to the lowest amount of points pledged. I think, going forward, the challenge would be to raise the average vow fast, either through increased participation (best option) or through re-vowing at higher points.

Aeldari:

Total participants: 8

Total vows: 8

Total points pledged: 2,754pts

Average vow: 344pts

The main problem with the Aeldari is obvious. They have the lowest average vow in the ETL. Although 8 participants is not that big a number, the main problem is that the vows are very small. Which is strange considering the wealth of units that all the Aeldari Codices have access to. Oh, and the Ynnari! Be that as it may, we’re still in the recruitment phase of the event, so it all depends in new entrants in the next couple of weeks with Week 3 being the more sensitive to define the momentum!

Necrons:

Total participants: 8

Total points pledged: 6,514pts

Average vow: 724pts

Points completed: 845 pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 13%

ETL score: 110

The Necrons added another 2 players in Week 2 bringing the total to 9 and with an average vow fairly close to the ETL average. Still I think there is potential for more! Week 3 will be the catalyst for the Necrons to become the leading Forum within the Xenos Faction, a position currently held by the T’au! So more vows for sure, and it won’t harm if they come at higher points too!

Orks:

Total points pledged: 2,893pts

Average vow: 723pts

The Orks suffer from the lack of a Codex and the general expectation that their range will be extensively revisited soon. But still the four brave participants have made reasonably high vows and are well positioned to support the Xenos Faciton in the days to come. Will there be more new entrants though? Week 3 is as important to Orks as it is to all other Forums. And with just 4 or 5 new players, they can become a contender for the Primus Inter Pares out of nowhere!

T’au Empire

Total participants: 11

Total vows: 11

Total points pledged: 11,556pts

Average vow: 1,051pts

The T’au remain the leaders of the Xenos Faction and in a good position for the Primus Inter Pares award. With 11 participants and one of the highest average vows they look pretty solid in the lead position. But the Necrons are not that far behind – so securing this position with more participants, is the way to go. Keep in mind, it’s not points pledged that win the ETL, it’s points completed! And the high average vow means more risk in this department. So maybe, some early completions won’t be such a bad idea either… 

Tyranids

Total points pledged: 2,232pts

Average vow: 1,116pts

No developments for the Tyranids in Week 2 – which is a pity. The most alien of the Xenos definitely need more attention from the B&C community – especially given their amazing range of miniatures… I sure hope the Hive Mind will intervene in Week 3 and will see more bugs crawling in the hallowed halls of the B&C!

Age of Darkness Faction (AoD)

Total participants: 36

Total vows: 39

Total points pledged: 36,610pts

Average vow: 939pts

Points completed: 1,505pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 4.1%

ETL score: 62

The Big Picture:

The AoD played Week 2 perfectly! They increased their participants by 7 or 24% and increased their pledged vows by 6.2k or by 20% a level technically higher but practically at par with Chaos that sports 12 more participants at this stage! And what did they have to pay for it? Lowering their high average vow to a level that is still the highest average vow in the ETL! Only one word: Bravo!

But having said that, it was just Week 2. Now we have plenty of time in front of us to capitalise on their momentum or to allow their momentum to dissipate. Only time will tell.

Age of Darkness – Loyalists (AoD-L)

Total participants: 19

Total vows: 22

Total points pledged: 21,608pts

Average vow: 982pts

Points completed: 1505pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 4.1%

ETL score: 62

The Loyalists remain the main AoD power even after the end of Week 2, however the gap with the Traitors has narrowed significantly. Right now, the only thing that gives them the lead is the higher average vow that surpasses that of the AoD-T by 100pts. So, although they started with a lot of momentum, part of it has waned and needs to be recaptured! Week 3 will be decisive!

Age of Darkness – Traitors (AoD-T)

Total participants: 17

Total vows: 17

Total points pledged: 15,002pts

Average vow: 882pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 0

The big movement in the AoD Faction is largely due to the Traitors’ comeback – well done guys! However, this comeback is not enough, unless it has duration. Right now, the AoD-T has pledged 15k pts vs. 21k for the AoD-L and this gap requires some serious vowing at higher-than-average vows to close. So, since it’s early in the game for re-vowing to make an impact, you should attract more recruits and make Week 3 the turning point in the balance of the AoD Faction! 

All hail the Age of Darkness, join us and fight for your real Emperor, not some corpse imitation, or if they heart is so inclined fight for the Arch Traitor not that Failbaddon.

We have Marines, Custodies, Marines, Great Tanks, Marines, Robots, Marines, Solar Auxillia (a better IG), Marines, Cool Dreads, Marines, Sergeants in Artificer armour, Marines, Cult and Militia (a more customisable guard), Marines, Gal Vorbak, cool terminators, Marines, Deamons, Marines, All sort of Mechanicum goodies, Marines, and many many Primarchs!

What’s not to like? :wink:

Go team AOD-traitor! We are totally going to beat the entire space marine forum!

You are totally going back to the eye armpit of the galaxy where you belong.

Considering you jacked up the whole Terra thing (you had one job...), are still trying to figure out what to do with the Webway after 10,000 years, and keep backing losers <looks at Abaddon>, perhaps you should set your sights a little lower.

Maybe the Tau are more your speed. They've only been around a few thousand years and are still trying to figure out how you spell "warp".

Feel downtrodden? Feeling oppressed? Sick of that commissar on your back?

Look around you, do you see some fictional being walking around in tank armour? no! Those myths you've been told about the 'honorable knights who stride the battlefield protecting you', they are lies! There are no such thing as space marines, just the honest work you've toiled for, being stolen from you day after day!

Sign up now, practically no cost at all* and join the uprising against the tyrants and the oppressors! Throw off you shackles and joing the renegades and heretics forum, Don't believe the lies you've been told, we are the true believers, we are the enlightened!

*cost is one soul for eternal damnation, but don't worry, we never said it had to be your soul...

Ignore the lies of the chaos-addled human, he knows not of what he speaks. The marines are real; I should know, I've had to drive off two invasions of my tombworld. Tenacious little buggers.

If you wish to have eternity at your fingertips, to be able to choose what you do without fear of the repercussion of a lasbolt to the spine, join the Necron forum in rising up to reclaim our lost empires. For the low, low, price of your weak mortal frame, you will be upgraded to a powerful metal body that can resist time itself, and shall last for eternity. You can join us and help preserve your species as a vassal state; save your life and the ones of all your friends, and join the Necrons today!

*​The forges require your soul to be consumed, but it won't be tortured. You'll just not have it anymore. At least we don't feed it to a mad god/gods like some others i could name....

Archived