+++Blood Angels Outpost+++

Captain Semper

Just out of curiosity, is there something that makes our typical vow different?

Eg - to me, it looks like we lean a bit more towards infantry (which means higher model count per points) as the BA codex doesn't favour some of the heavier point count dreads etc.

Would that be fair? 

Or... just that red can be a much more painful colour to build up layers on so pledges are more conservative :-(

Well ... I'm one of the people who drag the average vow down with my tiny 224p vow and I'm sad to report that I have no intention to stop doing so. I'm a slow painter who has trouble motivating himself to pick up a brush and a rather busy life currently so I can't really do bigger vows without risking not completing them. Apologies. ^^

Don’t say that man, all vows are welcome irrespective of size. If anything, smaller vows have higher chances of completion (generally speaking) - and completion rate is the single most important element.

At this stage, the ETL is all about new recruits and the BAs are doing a terrific job at it! So keep new participants coming in, and leave vow size (or re-vowing strategy) for after June 1st! ;)

Numbers indeed look astonishing. Only shows how great a community there is on B&C! Every completed vow is most important no matter how small or big. Don't feel sorry sfPanzer, the most important thing is that you stand with us :)

Ugh, those ETL numbers make me wince. As in I thought we were doing exceptionally well but we are only doing "okay".

Looks like we are going to have to win by completion.

It is just my first vow. :( I need to wait until my paycheck on the 23rd before I can try and buy my scout biker box and hopefully get it in time for the submission. But I'm planning on doing more. But, like sfPanzer, I'm a slow painter and it is difficult sometimes to pick up the brush. I want to make sure my vows are completed. So I'm trying not to over step. 

Got my captain primed tonight. So tomorrow night I'll be getting the first layer or two of the red onto the armor, going to get a layer on the cloak & helm. I'm actually super excited. The cloak is going to be black with red detailing and gold on the little designs on the edges. Helm is going to be solid black with the wings on the helm as well. Typical Flesh Tearer paint job. I'm going to need to be patient when I get to the right knee though. Going to hand paint the Flesh Tearer badge on his right knee since his left shoulder is covered with the cloak. 

Yeah, completion is the name of the game so if I manage five smallish vows adding up to 1K points I will be happy.

For me it’s also hobby butterfly syndrome, I am finding it harder than ever to commit to one army, and paint up to 50 minis in similar schemes. I just completed 5 White Scars breachers (See AoD Team Breacher thread) for that very reason, I just fancied having some cool MK3 marines and wanted to use up some shields that were lying unused. I guess I might roll both into a Siege of Terra force at some point, though there will likely be issues with “wrong” Armour marks etc. Eh, but I digress. Made a little start on my 5 VV yesterday, just doing some khorne red for the main base colour. My Angels Resplendent have a scheme of my own choosing as there’s a canon conflict (Fehervari talks of the “blue and gold” so I use that for the Blood drop and wings, but the other key source has them in a slightly orange-red. I prefer darker reds, hence the khorne red).

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_VI_Top_Banner_.jpg

ETL VI - WEEK 1 UPDATE

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_6_Poster_01_Announcement_V2.jpg

+++ETL VI - WEEK 1 UPDATE+++

So there goes week 1! It has been great to see the forums mobilizing again after a year off and with such enthusiasm! So, what happened in this first week?

Well, in a snapshot, here it is: 

ETL VI:

Total participants: 251

Total vows: 253

Total points pledged: 207,026pts

Average ETL vow: 813pts

Points completed: 706 pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 0.3%

ETL score: 2

Now obviously the completion rate and the score are irrelevant at this stage since only three participants have completed their first vows. At this stage, there is only one metric that really matters, and that metric is the number of participants! So, 251 in the first week… Can we double that in the next three weeks? Remember, new participants can join the ETL until June 1stat 17:00 GMT! I think targeting 500 participants is ambitious but, if it happens it will also be an ETL record – the highest we ever managed is 497 participants! 

Now let’s see how the Factions performed:

Adeptus Astartes:

Total participants: 119

Total vows: 119

Total points pledged: 95,690pts

Average vow: 804pts

Points completed: 311 pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 0.3%

ETL score: 1

The Big Picture:

The Adeptus Astartes is without question the most populous Faction and a favourite for the big prize. This can be attributed to the general popularity that Space Marines enjoy in our hobby but also to the strong heritage of the B&C as a power armour site. Of course, this is no longer the case, but the legacy is still there! 

It is therefore no wonder that the average vow of the Astartes is almost identical with the average vow of the ETL. However, things are not as homogeneous when it comes to the individual forums… Let’s see:

Blood Angels: 

Total participants: 30

Total vows: 30

Total points pledged: 20,405pts

Average vow: 680pts

Points completed: 0 pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 0%

ETL score: 0

The Blood Angels have a reasonably high number of participants, also rivalling entire Factions. However, they suffer from a relatively small average vow of just 680pts. Now high completion rates will get them a long way but ultimately, they’ll need to either to raise the average vow by pledging more point-rich vows or increase substantially their participants’ numbers. I find the latter more challenging – especially when compared to Forums like Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines. So, I guess the focus should be on raising the average vow, with higher values FIRST vows… 

IT'S EARLY ON! THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR ALL FORUMS IS TO GET MORE PARTICIPANTS IN!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

So after the first week we're sitting ~ 4th/5th overall and are on course for achieving one of our goals (ETL Magister) - and this isn't too bad at all. However, things can change very quickly in the ETL.

We're behind C:SM and C:CSM on participants, and whilst we're on par for participants with the Dark Angels we're behind on the average vow. The band behind us (both AoD Factions and SW) can still take us due to a higher average.

There are many of you out there who have yet to vow. Even though there are three weeks remaining to sign up, we need you on board ASAP - not only does this allow you to start sooner, but it gives us that boost we need and stretches out our average.

Folks, need I remind you all that we were outnumbered on Terra, and we were outnumbered on Baal. Yet we still succeeded despite the odds to attain glory and prestige that has lasted throughout the ages. Don't loose heart, pledge vows you're comfortable with, and get them done :thumbsup:

I Mightykin rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels and vow to complete:

- Blood angels chaplain with a jump pack and an inferno pistol

- Librarian in terminator armour with a force axe and storm bolter

for a total of 231 points on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

]

Simple, effective, and a good start for your ETL campaign. All the best :tu:

Come on, then...!

I, Zebulon rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels and their successors, the very venerable and very missing 1st Company of the Angels Resplendent. I duly vow to complete a five-man Vanguard Veterans Squad as shown below and a three-man Company Veterans Squad as shown below, of total value 256 points on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

Before:

gallery_61569_14238_169419.jpg

gallery_61569_14238_40354.jpg

gallery_61569_14238_21828.jpg

gallery_61569_14238_63122.jpg

Vanguard Vets: 5 plus Jump Packs (90) + 2 storm shields (10) + 2 pairs of lightning claws (24) + Sgt Thunder Hammer & Plasma Pistol (23) = total of 147

Company Vets: 3 models (48) + plasma gunner (13) + combi-plasma and storm shield guy (20) + plasma pistol and relic blade guy (28) = total of 109

Total points = 256

Welcome to the event Zebulon. How long do you envisage these will take and do you have anything else subsequently planned?

I Aothaine rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels and vow to complete one captain of the Flesh Tearers of total value 103 on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end

med_gallery_69175_14561_16385.jpg

Going to start with just this extra captain I have built and ready to start being painted. I want to finish him and try and get a scout biker box and possibly an aggressor box built and ready to paint before June 1st we'll see what I can manage though.

Every little helps Aothaine and this certainly will :tu: Just do what you can and thanks for pledging :)

Great WIPs folks, keep them coming!!

A little WIP for y’all! The lieutenant is done, and the librarian (left) has the most work to be done on it.

med_gallery_95687_14403_1476246.jpeg

That Sergeant looks mean. Really like him :)

Progress up to last night. First big wash, dry, and second wash.

32104751_2018606274847408_27994740330185

Brave man. Painting something that large with that colour :eek: Is it time consuming?

I made some progress on my Death Company last night, testing out airbrushing a highlight before edge highlighting. It... didn't end well.

gallery_53969_14540_165922.jpg

Lessons learned:

• airbrushing a dark grey still looks too grey after a black wash (washed ones on right)
  • quickshade dark tone is actually brown, not black, unlike the wash of the same name
  • quickshade doesn't dry particularly smoothly on flat surfaces (works lovely on zombies; marines not much)
  • my airbrush is clogging too much at low PSI to do glow effects that aren't splattery
  • surf aqua doesn't give the glow colour I want

So into the stripping bath for these, a deep clean for my airbrush, and a rummage into the old paint box for a different light blue. Will see how I get on tonight.

Did i mention I'm a slow painter?

Nice OSL and that's a great non-flat black :tu:

Progress on my vow; The Lazorback is done (as much as I feel comfortable until I practice on an older not airbrushed one).

Also, highlights from airbrushing are not appearing much, if at all. I blame this on poor photography, which I am working on improving. My airbrush recipe is stolen from Luthermax and slightly modified to my preferences. Quite disappointing I can't get it to show better... Crying aside, here she is!

gallery_85034_14559_55127.jpg

Now on to the Inceptors, which each model will take me 3x as long as the Lazorback did.

I quite like the gold "view slits" on the hatch. What made you go for gold? Also I'm a tad concerned how "slow" my Razor is going considering how fast you knocked that out :(

Hnng :wub::wub:

Here is a WIP progress so Far, I'm going to base 10 models at a time, but one squad is otherwise done.

med_gallery_104017_14504_445256.jpg

I would have gotten more scouts done, but I had a storage case fail on me. I got to spend 3 days fixing models that fell to pieces.

In any case, I have a question about a future Vow. These are some characters I built at the same time, but I already started a little. I was wondering if I could get an opinion on wether they are to far gone or not.

med_gallery_104017_14504_117178.jpg

Great WIPs folks, keep them coming!!

A little WIP for y’all! The lieutenant is done, and the librarian (left) has the most work to be done on it.

med_gallery_95687_14403_1476246.jpeg
That Sergeant looks mean. Really like him :)

Progress up to last night. First big wash, dry, and second wash.

32104751_2018606274847408_27994740330185

Brave man. Painting something that large with that colour :eek: Is it time consuming?

I made some progress on my Death Company last night, testing out airbrushing a highlight before edge highlighting. It... didn't end well.

gallery_53969_14540_165922.jpg

Lessons learned:

• airbrushing a dark grey still looks too grey after a black wash (washed ones on right)
  • quickshade dark tone is actually brown, not black, unlike the wash of the same name
  • quickshade doesn't dry particularly smoothly on flat surfaces (works lovely on zombies; marines not much)
  • my airbrush is clogging too much at low PSI to do glow effects that aren't splattery
  • surf aqua doesn't give the glow colour I want
So into the stripping bath for these, a deep clean for my airbrush, and a rummage into the old paint box for a different light blue. Will see how I get on tonight.

Did i mention I'm a slow painter?

Nice OSL and that's a great non-flat black :tu:

Progress on my vow; The Lazorback is done (as much as I feel comfortable until I practice on an older not airbrushed one).

Also, highlights from airbrushing are not appearing much, if at all. I blame this on poor photography, which I am working on improving. My airbrush recipe is stolen from Luthermax and slightly modified to my preferences. Quite disappointing I can't get it to show better... Crying aside, here she is!

gallery_85034_14559_55127.jpg

Now on to the Inceptors, which each model will take me 3x as long as the Lazorback did.

I quite like the gold "view slits" on the hatch. What made you go for gold? Also I'm a tad concerned how "slow" my Razor is going considering how fast you knocked that out :(
Hnng :wub::wub:
First off, thank you for the kind words! To be honest I just wanted more gold on my Lazorback and I think I saw someone else do it somewhere sometime. Unsure of who and where really... I actually didn't even know those things were view slits!

As far as speed is concerned that is probably the fastest I've ever knocked out a vehicle to Tabletop Standards; I blame a two day weekend. However it is just that, Tabletop Standard. After the ETL is out I'll practice some weathering techniques on a "less well done" Razorback and apply those to this one. I'm really happy with how the basecoat came out so I'm nervous to go any further.

EDIT: Sorry about the wall of quotes, phone and all that.

Welcome to the event Zebulon. How long do you envisage these will take and do you have anything else subsequently planned?

Thanks Jol, appreciated.

To be honest it depends how much time real life allows me to spend on hobbying!

I do have the rest of the stuff I built for B&Z waiting but first I will try to get this vow completed, and go from there.

@Jolemai: Yes it can be time-consuming. I haven't done anything this large since the LRC, but I'm happy with the progress so far. She's just about ready for red accents/checkers. I was interrupted during the first big nulin oil wash and had to stop my work for a few hours. I was worried I'd end up with a really uneven seam where it had already dried when I came back, but it wasn't too bad. As a note on the repulsor kit in general, the three small arms turrets are way more snug of a fit than I would've liked. It could be that I primed on the sprue and that was just enough to make it overly tight. Live and learn :)

WIP

Slowly but surely...

gallery_62972_9848_42322.jpg

Literally the best photo I could take today :/

Looks like you might be encountering The Mist or possibly in the middle of a Tyranid invasion. Be careful wherever you are Jolemai! The models are looking great though.

I LM rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Lamenters and vow to complete Two Caestus Assault Rams and a Fire Raptor of total value 1140 Points (I think) on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end

I hope I can sneak one through as it is just base coated with yellow and black at this stage (Jolemai is that Ok?) as the first BEFORE shot:

gallery_60109_5815_1400953.jpg

And this is the second ram BEFORE shot:

gallery_60109_5815_1105361.jpg

And the before shot of my Fire Raptor:

gallery_60109_5815_886179.jpg

Cheers

LM

Archived