+++Blood Angels Outpost+++

Captain Semper

@ Spyros: Well, a second vow - and a much larger one at that! Good luck! :)

@ Aothaine: Congratulations on your completion! talking about wrong side of 40 for quite some time now, I have to use long-sightedness glasses while painting myself. What's the world coming to... :P

@ Captain Helion, and Thoridon: Welcome guys, this is still the recruitment period, so it's great you guys came along! Now the gap with the Space Marines is steadily closing! Thoridon, if you come to a different number of the points of your vows, notify me so I can amend my records.

@ bushman101: Congrats on your completion man, look forward for the follow-up!

@ Mr. Yellow: I had not recorded your vow so that's fine to alter it. But you must edit the pic of the Fire-raptor in the original vow post and work out the points.

Actually, slap this Fire Raptor on top of the two CARs I have already pledged. Since I just started to prime it...

gallery_60109_5815_886179.jpg

Cheers

LM

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

I Aothaine rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels and vow to complete 1 5-man Scout squad of total value 111 on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end

Hidden Content
gallery_69175_14561_45500.jpg

The missile launcher model doesn't come with a cammo cloak. I hope it is okay that I paid the three points for it to have one. I don't have enough clay to sculpt one right now.

I have another 5 man scout squad ready to paint and a Captain in Gravis as well as a sang priest. But I need to wait for my Flesh Tearers Shoulder Icons before I start the two HQs. I will be working on the 5-man scout squad after I finish this squad I just vowed. Wish me luck everyone!

@ Mr. Yellow: I had not recorded your vow so that's fine to alter it. But you must edit the pic of the Fire-raptor in the original vow post and work out the points.

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

All done. Thanks Bud.

Oh, good:) I'll be posting WIP photo of my contemptor in a few hours so he will not be alone.

EDIT: here it comes. Got some initial coat for metal parts and first shade wash over the legs. First ranks presents completed 2nd squad of Intercessors.
gallery_105306_14251_162704.jpg

Great progress everyone!

@ Aothaine: Great to see you following up! Second vow registered! :)

@ Mr Yellow: Everything is intact now! One of the bigger BA vows there - good luck! 

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Starting slow this year whilst I wait for a couple of bits to arrive...

I SM1981 rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels and vow to complete:

1 Baal Predator with Twin Assault Cannon Turret, Heavy Bolter Sponsors, and Storm Bolter. PTS value:166

on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

gallery_88305_14576_816627.jpg

Progress report:

http://imgur.com/a/2HQMfD7

Edit: I do find Auric Armour Gold a lot more watery and unsatisfying in comparison with the old Burnished Gold. Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome this? It does usually come out okay on a black undercoat, but it’s a real pain on models undercoated in white.

Also, VV sgt is getting a headswap as I don’t really want bare heads on my BA and their successors.

So my light/magnifying glass broke this weekend. I can barely see the models to paint them in any decent manner. I will complete the scout squad but I might not be able to vow anything else unless I can get this fixed or buy a new one. 

I tried painting one of the sniper rifles in the boltgun color but I think I like them black instead. Going to have to figure out how, in my blind state, I can highlight the edges. lol! I'll work on the one model from this point forward until I get to the point where I like it then can try and finish up the rest of the squad in time to submit a third vow. But we'll see what I can do.

Hope everyone else's vows are coming along!

Progress report:

http://imgur.com/a/2HQMfD7

Edit: I do find Auric Armour Gold a lot more watery and unsatisfying in comparison with the old Burnished Gold. Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome this? It does usually come out okay on a black undercoat, but it’s a real pain on models undercoated in white.

Also, VV sgt is getting a headswap as I don’t really want bare heads on my BA and their successors.

I switched to scale 75 metallic paints as I always found the the GW metals a bit underwhelming for coverage and end result. GW does have a new base gold though - retributor armour - that has a good reputation compared to the initial range. If you don't want to buy new paint though, there's always the old advice of painting a warm brown as a base coat for the gold parts first; something like mournfang brown. It gives the gold a lot less work to do for coverage, and helps increase the warmth. 

Auric Armour gold isn’t supposed to have full opaque coverage as it’s a ‘layer’ Type paint. Personally, I tend to use it over either leadbelcher, (if I want a lighter tone) or warplock bronze (for the darker tones). If you want that full coverage in one coat, I agree it could be frustrating.

In full disclosure, I’ve never tried retributor Armour.

So... not so much a WIP as a sympathy pic... I thought grabbing some extra X packs for my DC pledge would be great to add some more markings to the unit. Having done two passes of red over 22 shoulder Xs and 14 jump packs, I think I'm in danger of having an epileptic fit...

med_gallery_64798_14233_10907.jpg

I do really like the effect, but dammit I'm starting to see red crosses when I close my eyes.

So... not so much a WIP as a sympathy pic... I thought grabbing some extra X packs for my DC pledge would be great to add some more markings to the unit. Having done two passes of red over 22 shoulder Xs and 14 jump packs, I think I'm in danger of having an epileptic fit...

med_gallery_64798_14233_10907.jpg

I do really like the effect, but dammit I'm starting to see red crosses when I close my eyes.

Awesome! :happy.:

Arkhanist, thanks for the recommendations.

Paladin777, I find most of the non-metallic “layer” type paints do give good coverage though... I think I preferred the previous Citadel paint system tbqh.

I am not a brilliant painter of minis but I do as I say use a pin instead of a brush for detail work. I will try getting a pot of Retributor next time I pass the local GW store.

Auric Armour gold isn’t supposed to have full opaque coverage as it’s a ‘layer’ Type paint. Personally, I tend to use it over either leadbelcher, (if I want a lighter tone) or warplock bronze (for the darker tones). If you want that full coverage in one coat, I agree it could be frustrating.

In full disclosure, I’ve never tried retributor Armour.

Retributor armour I think solves a lot of problems... thins well with water and still gives good coverage as a base. 

If you don't want to get some retributor, there is rather cool (if older) article that uses auric gold over averland sunset (yellow) to give a more antique look.

http://theartofwarhammer.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/tutorial-painting-shiny-yellow-gold.html

The last couple of steps are probably not called for outside of characters (adding a purple and green wash) but gives a very interesting 'old' look. 

Also, yes I know that I botched the lettering on the banner. It's going to cause me forever issues but I've made my bed and I'll sleep in it.

I couldn't even tell and if someone brings that up there are being a real jerk or just pulling your leg. I wouldn't worry about it. The models look fantastic!

ETL Progress 2:

Hidden Content

gallery_40907_9492_59517.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_47402.jpg

10/26 done. Switching to the 5 scouts to stave off fatigue.

They look brilliant man! Just brilliant! Keep them coming!

Also, yes I know that I botched the lettering on the banner. It's going to cause me forever issues but I've made my bed and I'll sleep in it.

I couldn't even tell and if someone brings that up there are being a real jerk or just pulling your leg. I wouldn't worry about it. The models look fantastic!

That 100% ^

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Vow Complete!

med_gallery_69175_14561_41278.jpg

While painting Alessandro, Captain of the Flesh Tearers 5th company, tonight I realized something very important. My eyes are horrible and nothing like they were 20 years ago. There are a lot of details on this model that I am just completely unable to paint. I even have one of those cool lighted magnifying glasses and it helped but in the end I just got a headache. I apologize. But I think this is about the extent of my capabilities now. I mean.. it isn't bad. But I don't think I'll be able to do edge highlights anymore. The ardecoat I used gives them kind of a glossy look though which works as the lighting hits the areas and provides highlighting that is better that I could paint lol!

I'll get my second vow in place this weekend if the bits from shape-ways I ordered come in. I ordered some of the Flesh Tearers chapter badges that you put on top of the blank shoulder pads and I have I think 10-15 Hell Blasters that I can build and paint up. Anyway! Keep it going everyone! Even an old codger like me can paint a miniature... sort of lol!

Edit: I'm looking at the picture now and it almost looks like it is raining with that puddle on the base. :happy.: I kind of like it. :happy.:

Congrats on your completion - I quite like the base too, it's almost as if the grey is swirling around down there :)

I Aothaine rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels and vow to complete 1 5-man Scout squad of total value 111 on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end
Hidden Content
gallery_69175_14561_45500.jpg
The missile launcher model doesn't come with a cammo cloak. I hope it is okay that I paid the three points for it to have one. I don't have enough clay to sculpt one right now.
I have another 5 man scout squad ready to paint and a Captain in Gravis as well as a sang priest. But I need to wait for my Flesh Tearers Shoulder Icons before I start the two HQs. I will be working on the 5-man scout squad after I finish this squad I just vowed. Wish me luck everyone!

... and a new vow :happy.: I understand you're having trouble with some equipment at the moment which is a shame :sad.: hope you get it sorted soon and that these Scouts don't prove to be too much of a headache.

I, CaptainHelion, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels and vow to complete: a Captain with Jump Pack, 2 Lightning Claws, a Captain with Jump Pack, Storm shield, Thunder hammer, a Captain in Cataphractii Armour with Chainfist, Combi-melta, a Captain in Terminator Armour with Storm shield, Thunder hammer, a Lieutenant with Master-crafted boltgun, Power fist, a 5 Marine Scout Squad with Heavy bolter, 3 bolters, a Scout Sergeant with Plasma pistol, Power sword, a 5 Marine Devastator Squad with Armorium Cherub, 2 Missile launchers, 2 Lascannons, and a Space Marine Sergeant with a Bolt pistol for a vow of total value 863 points on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end

Pictures to follow.

Welcome to the show Helion and thanks for pushing the boat out with the vow :happy.:

Hopefully you can get that starting picture up soon so you can crack on with getting them painted :) 11 weeks to go!

Archived