+++Blood Angels Outpost+++

Captain Semper

I know you were concerned about the gold but it's come out looking really well weathered imo - especially when compared with the rest of the armour, it's as if the atmosphere/enemy/conditions are tarnishing the metallics rather than the plasteel/ceramics. Congrats on a deserved completion!

A great follow up vow too :tu: I had built my Chaplain (the second link, clampack) for B&Z and found some bits tricky to complete. Will you paint it on the sprue?

Thanks Jol! :)

Yes, I suppose that works with the fluff whereby the only remaining Angels Resplendent are the first company, who are missing and presumably therefore unable to resupply themselves or maintain that resplendent armour to their usual standards. I may try to weather the plasteel at a later date, if I upgrade the bases for example.

Thanks again; I probably will paint the unassembled models in that state and then put them together, yes - that works a lot better for me to be honest. Also, while not-Karlaen will be an Angel Resplendent I think my tacticals and the other Captain and Chaplains will be actual Blood Angels (as there are no Angels Resplendent non-veterans or Chaplains in the fluff). My other option could be to make them the Angels Penitent but I am not sure if I want that. Never seen any in that Sable and Umber scheme, mind you. It would be different...

Coming along well and great advice :thumbsup: How did you go about that white please? 

Thanks! I usually do 2–4 thin coats of Ulthuan Grey as a basecoat, then I double back with Badab Black / Nuln Oil, and then highlight back up with Ulthuan (with the opportunity to use white scar on any particularly highlighted portions). I kind of stole and put my own twist on an old White Dwarf; they used aggrax earthshade, while I prefer the black/white look to the brown/white look in the case of matching the black/red aesthetic of rest of the model. It's worked decently well to my liking thusfar, although if I leave too thick of a black line on the model and I look too closely, I can get persnickety and have an urge to grab the brush again  :sweat:  but overall I think it looks good on the tabletop, so I'm very happy for that!

That's a fantastic model you've created & painted; I never even considered a silver death mask, it would have been easier to achieve than my attempt. Care to part with your shiney silver recipe?

Cheers, Jole, The silver is super easy, boltgun metal base, all over coat of stormhost silver, then a wash of 50/50  lahmian medium/guilliman blue glaze, additional shade in the recesses with this, then a final stormhost silver highlight on raised areas. I think it's close to the GW recipe for Grey Knight armour. 

Great to see you're still going :smile.: It's interesting to see how you've split the painting into batch by squads rather than batch paint the lot. I guess it's helping you stay focused?

I get bored/ distracted when painting large groups or models. Plus getting a unit finished gives a good feeling that lasts all day. Until they die horribly in your next game because every time you play a freshly painted unit for the first time, it dies.

Though in a completely coincidental thing, I started painting the remaining 16 models all at the same time instead of squads...

Go figure.

That looks ace and it's only the basecoat 0.o Weathering next?

Thanks buddy. It's not quite ready for the weathering, need to magnetise and paint the turrets.

Oh, and of course, paint some checkers on it.

I've also got a whole ton of other stuff that I want to build right now, termite, kharybdis drop pod, another ram, a thunderhawk...the list goes on :unsure.:

Cheers

LM

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_VI_Top_Banner_.jpg

ETL VI - WEEK 3 UPDATE

Ok, so we're in a strong position, but not ideal. We need to get that average vow up to above the adeptus astartes vow - it's about the equivalent of adding another single terminator to each vow - not a hard challenge. We're a bit behind at the moment, but we generally have a high completion rate, which is what it comes down to in the end.

Come on guys, we got this!

That looks ace and it's only the basecoat 0.o Weathering next?

Thanks buddy. It's not quite ready for the weathering, need to magnetise and paint the turrets.

Oh, and of course, paint some checkers on it.

I've also got a whole ton of other stuff that I want to build right now, termite, kharybdis drop pod, another ram, a thunderhawk...the list goes on :unsure.:

Cheers

LM

Seeing how your Raptor is almost done and you have four vows remaining, would you consider using them for vows later on?

Got a chance to work on my Inceptors from my vow tonight. Once June 19th passes I'll have much more time to finish them up and do another vow (thinking about maybe finally painting my Sicarian or building/painting my Scorpius for it).

Lesson learned though, summer classes (6 at that) keep me busy 24/7.

Got a chance to work on my Inceptors from my vow tonight. Once June 19th passes I'll have much more time to finish them up and do another vow (thinking about maybe finally painting my Sicarian or building/painting my Scorpius for it).

Lesson learned though, summer classes (6 at that) keep me busy 24/7.

Enjoyed painting my Sicaran after B&Z (I know, but it has to be ready for something else) but it can be a pain to build...

The Scorpius will keep me busy as it has lots of fiddly bits :/ Still, you'll have 5-6 weeks to do it :)

Decided to get something done and Nuln Gloss all the panels.

Thanks to Prot for showing how good the gloss looks on panels with his Armiger blog post!

nalCzq7.jpg

What colour is that again?

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_VI_Top_Banner_.jpg

ETL VI - WEEK 3 UPDATE

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_6_Poster_01_Announcement_V2.jpg

+++ETL VI - WEEK 3 UPDATE+++

Week 3 is over and now we’re entering Week 4 – the last whole of recruitment. Week 3 was a bit thin on new recruits, as was largely expected, but we’ve seen an increase in completions and new vows…

Let’s see them in detail:

ETL VI:

Total participants: 327

Total vows: 357

Total points pledged: 278,051pts

Average ETL vow: 779pts

Points completed: 17,077pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 6.1%

ETL score: 1,049

As expected, Week 3 was a bit tighter in terms of new recruits adding just 29 in total. However total vows increased by 46 with the average vow dropping from 800 to 779. The total points pledged reached 278k. The completion rate is gradually increasing (although still largely irrelevant) to ca. 6%, driving the ETL score to around 1k.

Interestingly we have IFOR, Chaos and AoD going toe-to-toe for second position – this will definitely be the battle to wacth!

The more important consideration however, is not what happened in Week 3 but what will happen in Week 4. Week 4 is immensely important as it’s the last full week of recruitment. There will be of course a couple of more days until the official end of the recruitment period but after that, that’s it! The doors will close, and each faction/forum will have to do with whatever resources have managed to gather!

So, recruitment is the order of the day (or should I say the week?). There will be time for completions and re-vowing, but the chance to get new recruits on board has an expiry date and that date is June 1st!

Now let’s see how the Factions & Forums performed:

Adeptus Astartes:

Total participants: 153

Total vows: 167

Total points pledged: 120,065pts

Average vow: 719pts

Points completed: 5,929pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 4.9%

ETL score: 293

The Big Picture:

The Adeptus Astartes added 12 new participants in Week 3 maintaining some momentum. Of course, they remain at the lead, by having 43% of the total points pledged in the ETL so far. True their average vow retreated further but not that far below the ETL average and they superiority in numbers more than makes up for it. What are the real dangers here? Well, to sum it up, it’s the completion rate. This numerical superiority is as good as the commitment of the individual partiicpants to complete their self-appointed tasks within the ETL time-frame. Other than that, they seem, at this point, unassailable!

Now let’s see the how the individual Forums performed:

Blood Angels:

Total participants: 43

Total vows: 49

Total points pledged: 30,834pts

Average vow: 629pts

Points completed: 1,937pts

ETL completion rate (CR): 4.9%

ETL score: 74

The recruitment effort remained relatively strong for the BAs in Week 3 adding another 5 participants to their total. They also started the re-vowing process in earnest 6 second vows already pledged. However, this came at a cost as their average vow retreated further to 629pts – the lowest in the Astartes Faction and 150pts lower than the ETL average. That means that not only high completion rate among first vows is extremely important, but unless they bring even more new participants in, they will be highly dependent on second and subsequent vows. The resources are there, now they need to exploit them. It’s a pity to have some 12 more vows compared to the DAs but only 2.9k pts more…

Final week now for new recruits. If you're interested in joining the fun then don't delay, sign up today! Feel free to ask any questions either here or via PM too as we're all happy to help :)

Finished up one Inceptor from my vow (kind of, just noticed I didn't agrax the Aquila). One thing I am very happy about is the base. I borrowed a technique from a fellow Frater, Pingo, to paint the rocks. I changed his method of washing the rocks blue to washing the rocks purple and am very happy with the result. Not that it, or my highlights on the Inceptor, show up in the picture...

gallery_85034_14559_18543.jpg

I'm racing against time to finish the last part of my vow before weekend. I only have half a day as in the early evening I'm going on a 3 day trip with my lovely wife. So I need to:
- put decals on the devastators, 
- finish highlights on the razor,
- finish the captain: final highlights, gems, tabard, face, hammer, base.

I'm racing against time to finish the last part of my vow before weekend. I only have half a day as in the early evening I'm going on a 3 day trip with my lovely wife. So I need to:

- put decals on the devastators,

- finish highlights on the razor,

- finish the captain: final highlights, gems, tabard, face, hammer, base.

No need to rush, but all the best fitting that in! I was hoping to achieve a similar objective as I'm away from.my paints for a week from tomorrow, but I had to sort out the latest Windows update mess on my PC :/

Finished up one Inceptor from my vow (kind of, just noticed I didn't agrax the Aquila). One thing I am very happy about is the base. I borrowed a technique from a fellow Frater, Pingo, to paint the rocks. I changed his method of washing the rocks blue to washing the rocks purple and am very happy with the result. Not that it, or my highlights on the Inceptor, show up in the picture...

gallery_85034_14559_18543.jpg

Very best and smooth :tu: is the larger canvass of the Primaris easier to paint?

Also, have you a link to how those rocks are painted please?

Primaris are for sure easier to paint, if only because they lack the blind that most BA and Veteran units are covered in and their slightly larger size is juuuuust right.

Here's the tutorial:

http://pingos-projects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/thrifty-shades-of-grey-grey-rock-bases.html?m=1

I changed most of the colours based on what I had on hand/preferred. I used Abbadon Black>Mechanicus Standard Grey>dry brush Ulthuan Grey>wash Druchii Nightshade>wash (lightly) Nuln Oil.

VOW COMPLETED!
I'm very glad I've managed to finish this one and maintain initial level of paint-job. Although it was hard at the end. I only got the Captain on my desk and was going like "just one more thing" for the last couple of hours. You know :D

Anyway here is the 5th Company Blood Angels happy family Strike Force:
med_gallery_105306_14251_1231665.jpg
And few more shots. I'll be posting some more close-ups in my WIP thread after the weekend.

med_gallery_105306_14251_523194.jpg

med_gallery_105306_14251_705716.jpg

med_gallery_105306_14251_625655.jpg

Final week now for new recruits. If you're interested in joining the fun then don't delay, sign up today! Feel free to ask any questions either here or via PM too as we're all happy to help :smile.:

This feels like those public, crowd-funded pledge drives on the Public Broadcasting Service in the US:

"Come on everyone, we have until June 1st to make our goal, so please donate! Remember, at a donation level of $150.00 you get a free tote bag of a porpoise to go along with the water bottle you received at the $100.00 level ..."

Another update of my vow. Land Speeders almost finished and the same for the Vindicator, the photos are about ten days ago so now they are almost ready. I think I'm going to try a bit of weathering in the vehicles, buy some powder pigments and it will be the first time you use them.
On the other hand the captain is also almost finished, but I still do not take pictures. :blush.:
The most backward is the Predator Baal but at least it is already primed and with the base color. Do not take pictures of him either. :blush.:
If everything goes well I calculate that for 10 days the first vow could be ending. I'm already thinking about the second one. :biggrin.:
gallery_70994_14469_276751.jpg

gallery_70994_14469_135765.jpg

Final week now for new recruits. If you're interested in joining the fun then don't delay, sign up today! Feel free to ask any questions either here or via PM too as we're all happy to help :smile.:

This feels like those public, crowd-funded pledge drives on the Public Broadcasting Service in the US:

"Come on everyone, we have until June 1st to make our goal, so please donate! Remember, at a donation level of $150.00 you get a free tote bag of a porpoise to go along with the water bottle you received at the $100.00 level ..."

Nah, not really. And even if it did I don't see what would be wrong about it. ^^

Nah, not really. And even if it did I don't see what would be wrong about it. ^^

Nothing wrong, just humerous.

Archived